The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent

charliechaplinfan

Re: The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I listened to an interview with her on Radio 4, much as I love her screen work she didn't really make very much sense, I understand she might have been shocked when finding the Vertigo music on this film, which she had thought was about an painting artist, to describe it as rape is way over the top. I'm sure Hermann's score would not have been used without permission and the response from the director was very respectful towards Miss Novak, it's a love letter to all movies, let's hope she can see it that way. I'm dying to see it but need to convince someone to go with me, the fact it's silent is putting my normally reliable cinemagoers uninterested.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Last night, The Artist won three Golden Globes Awards: Best Actor (in a comedy), Best Film (Comedy) and Best Score.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16570816

As for the quote of Herrmann's Vertigo, I read something interesting in a interview of the composer:

"One such losing battle was the cue “My Suicide,” written to accompany the climax of the film in which George hits rock bottom. The final cut of the film was finished three weeks prior to the last recording date during the first week of April, as Bource was still trying to finish the cue. But “because the priority was to finish everything for Cannes [in May], Michel needed to present [the finished film] to the producers as soon as possible to reassure them of a project difficult to sell without music.” The climactic scene had been temped with Herrmann’s love theme from Vertigo for three months, “and every composer knows what that means,” says Bource. “Generally, you are condemned.” Vertigo remains in the final cut of the film, but Bource insists “Michel didn’t replace ‘My Suicide’ with Herrmann’s love theme. When the DVD comes out, you can put my music on that sequence.” Bource completed the cue on Hazanavicius’ birthday and dedicated it to him, “but we didn’t speak to each other during the last month. Why? Everything is in the title,” he adds, winking."
charliechaplinfan

I'm so cross my local cinema chain is only carrying this film in London, parts of the South East and Cheshire, despite it winning so many awards it doesn't come to my part of England. They must think we're all plebs here :cry:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Ann Harding wrote: As for the quote of Herrmann's Vertigo, I read something interesting in a interview of the composer:
Thanks so much for posting this - it so clarifies why the motif is heard in the film! I watched the Globes show last night just to see this film pick up a few awards - bravo!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Ann Harding wrote:Last night, The Artist won three Golden Globes Awards: Best Actor (in a comedy), Best Film (Comedy) and Best Score.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16570816
Thanks for sharing this Ann H! ... I just can't wait for the DVD to come out! I just fell in love with this movie.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I'm so cross my local cinema chain is only carrying this film in London, parts of the South East and Cheshire, despite it winning so many awards it doesn't come to my part of England. They must think we're all plebs here :cry:
Distributors in the UK are notoriously timorous. But if the film gets a few more awards, it might get a better distribution in the UK.
charliechaplinfan

That's my hope, if it does well at the Oscars I might stand a chance. It's not like I live in the sticks, after the South East, the North West is the most highly populated place in the British Isles. They perhaps don't think we appreciate culture 'oop North'
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

It's also got 12 nominations at the BAFTA. Hopefully, it will also help. :wink: The film is going to have a re-release in France in something like 200 screens.
charliechaplinfan

Fingers crossed then :D
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Another thumbs up from Kingrat - Yipee! I'm looking forward to Miss Moira's review once she's seen it too!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I'm a little surprised at how many people don't like the VERTIGO music. I think it worked exceptionally well, and on two levels: it fit the scene perfectly and, in a film filled with homages to all cinema, and not just the silent film, I found it wonderfully appropriate. At the moment, most people seeing THE ARTIST seem to be classic film lovers. When (and not if) the film is nominated for its Academy Awards, and more "regular" people see it, I suspect that the use of the VERTIGO music will be a non-issue because many of them will never have seen VERTIGO, or least not seen it umpteen times to recognize the music.

I would have liked a slightly more complex story, akin to the plots of the silents in the later 20s. But again, I think that for silent film "newbies" the plot and pacing works very well. The intertitles were wonderful, too.

My wife, not much of a fan of movies, particularly silent film, said she thought THE ARTIST was "good". High praise! Plus, I did spot a tear in her eye near the end. I still doubt she'll sit down and watch INTOLERANCE with me anytime soon, but who knows.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

kingrat wrote: Don't think I mentioned how much I liked the choice of faces. To a great extent, most of the people in the film looked like people from the late 20s/early 30s, not like 2011 folks in fancy dress.

Me too - I just loved the faces of the doctor and nurse when George is in the hospital - they were adorable!

I'd sure like to discuss this movie a little more in detail, but as some have not yet had a chance to see it, don't want to spoil it too much.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

The Artist got 10 nominations at the Academy Awards yesterday. Pretty good!