Clara Bow in Hoop-La (1933)

dfordoom

Clara Bow in Hoop-La (1933)

Post by dfordoom »

The secret to enjoying Clara Bow’s last movie, <i>Hoop-La</i>, is not to expect anything as spectacular and outrageous as Call Her Savage. Made in 1933, <i>Hoop-La</i> is a more routine kind of movie. A young man joins his father’s travelling carnival. Dad decides he’d better clean up his act so as to be a good influence on junior, so he ditches his girlfriend. The jilted girlfriend cooks up a scheme with her pal Lou (Clara Bow) – Lou will make the son (who’s training to be a lawyer but who’s also a bit of a hayseed and very naïve) fall in love with her, the hope being that dad will then give up trying to be Mr Clean. But this being a movie, things take an unexpected turn. Carnival backgrounds are always fun, and Preston Foster is extremely good as the father. Mostly though this is Clara Bow’s movie, and she’s sensational. She’s funny, she’s touching, she’s lovable, and she’s very sexy. Especially in her Snake Hips costume – it’s a very very small costume and it shows off her charms to great effect. That’s really the most pre-code thing about this movie. Still, it’s entertaining, it has some amusing moments, it has a nice love story, and Clara Bow makes it very much worth watching.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I thought the scene in the diner was one of Clara's sexiest and most adorable ever. How any man could resist that I'll never understand.
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

jondaris wrote:I thought the scene in the diner was one of Clara's sexiest and most adorable ever. How any man could resist that I'll never understand.
I certainly wouldn't have been able to resist her!
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I bought copies of "Hoopla" and "Call Her Savage" from somebody on ebay. I can't wait to watch them , especially after reading the comments!
Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Somebody mentioned Clara's snake costume.
If someone can tell me how to do pics, I'll put up one of it.

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde