Two Big Lost Clara Bow films found?

Gagman 66

Two Big Lost Clara Bow films found?

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o I've just seen the brand new BBC Clara Bow Documentary-HOLLYWOOD'S LOST LOVE GODDESS that premiered in December. What is this? I was dumbfounded at what I saw! In addition to the Color footage of RED HAIR (Not Outtakes), there are pristine clips from both THE RUNAWAY and ROUGH HOUSE ROSIE! That's definitely Clara with William Powell from RUNAWAY and the footage is crystal clear. Several snippets from different portions of ROSIE, and it's no trailer like we have seen in the past. These were new finds, no question!

Where on earth did this precious footage come from I wonder? Are they just fragments, or have the complete films actually been re-discovered and fans have been told nothing whatever about it? I'm hoping that somebody can please shed some light on this matter. If I find out some details I will definitely let everyone know. Clear back in 2009 the guy from the Chicago film society claimed to me that he was close to tracking down ROUGH HOUSE ROSIE. But nothing ever came of that? At least as far as I knew? I was sort of surprised not seeing any footage from CHILDREN OF DIVORCE.

Unfortunately some of the claims made in this documentary were rather ludicrous. Example, "Clara Bow was the first woman to actively pursue a man on screen?" Seriously now? Theda Barra, Leatrice Joy, Nita Naldi, Pola Negri, Constance Talmadge, Marie Prevost among others. Even Colleen Moore in THE HUNTRESS and FLAMING YOUTH. What a rash statement. Overall it's a good production, but weak on information. Such as when she first signed with Paramount. And of course where the clips serviced of these three long lost features? It was great seeing Diana Serra Carry again being interviewed.

I'm sure that RED HAIR is probably just those fragments of the Color scene. But THE RUNAWAY and ROUGH HOUSE ROSIE might be complete, or at least mostly there. These would have to be considered, major finds. We also see a an opening title card from THE KEEPER OF THE BEE'S. This is proof that many so called lost Silents may not be so much lost as they have been misplaced.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Two Big Lost Clara Bow films found?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched this documentary and hoped that it would be the start of a series but alas no word seems to have come through yet. I do think it was a documentary put together not only for the avid fan but also for the channel hopper, anyone alighting on Clara's lovely smiling face, dewy eyes and contemprorary look might have been held there. I loved the film clips, I hadn't seen them before (apart from It). It would be nice to see the whole films.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'm intrigued by Gagman66's post and i for one would jump in a heartbeat to see these films. This is a stunning discovery and I wished I seen that documentary that Gagman66 talked about. :)
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Alison, kingma,

:) Very gradually the long lost Silent films of Clara Bow, Colleen Moore, Norma Talmadge, and Pola Negri, are being found and restored. So are the films of big name Male Stars of the day such as Wallace Reid, Thomas Meghian, Richard Barthelmess, and Milton Sills among others. It's exciting to see these long neglected works raise from the ashes. On the downside, though there have been many restorations, very few of these pictures have actually made it to DVD or Blu-ray.

CINEFEST just screened THE QUARTERBACK (Paramount, 1926) with Richard Dix and Esther Ralston in 35 Millimeter this weekend. I had no idea that this movie survived. The LOC has just restored the long lost RAMONA (1928) with Dolores Del Rio and Warner Baxter. Found at a Czech Archive in Prague in 2001. It took a long time to get the print repatriated back to the States. This was a huge hit in it's day, and basically has not been commercially seen anywhere since it's original run. I'm hoping that TCM might surprise premier RAMONA later this year, like they did with HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1920) a couple years ago.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for the additional information Gagman66 ... I would love to see RAMONA on TCM ... it would be awesome.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

kingme,

:) While I can't provide you with a look at RAMONA, I can give you a glimpse at another rare Dolores Del Rio feature Raoul Walsh's LOVES OF CARMEN (1927). As a Rita Hayworth fan, I'm sure you'll appreciate seeing this footage from the Silent version of 20 years earlier. I posted two clips on Youtube late last year. I was lucky to get a recording of the Museum Of Modern Art's 1978 LOST AND FOUND series showing. So basically this movie has not been seen anywhere on Television in 35 years! About as rare as it gets. The actual print is surprisingly good quality. Though the recording and subsequent transfer to DVD-R is just so, so. The music is what originally aired. It has not been re-dubbed. A very good score actually. How I would love to see this restored on DVD and Blu-ray it's a very good film.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks Gagman66 for sharing these two You Tubes of LOVES OF CARMEN back in 1927. I got them bookmarked and I will watch it on my television set when my nephew convert my TV so I can watch endless You Tubes ...