Just a Gigolo - the tune

Jezebel38

Just a Gigolo - the tune

Post by Jezebel38 »

I was watching Flying Down to Rio for a bit last night, and in the scene where Dolores Del Rio realizes it is Gene Raymond piloting the plane, he quips the lyrics, "just a gigolo, everywhere I go". I was taken aback as I had no idea this tune was so old - I am only familiar with the Louis Prima version. So I just looked on Wikipedia and it claimes this tune was used in a 1931 film. I have seen the William Haines movie by the same title, just once, but do not recall if the tune was actualy used in that film. Anyone know of any films around this time that might have featured this song? Also, I'd love to hear a period recording of this song if anyone could provide a link.
benwhowell

Life goes on without me...

Post by benwhowell »

Check out this video, Jezebel38. It's a "Screen Song With The Famous Bouncing Ball" from Max Fleischer in 1932..."Just A Gigolo" sung by Irene Bordoni.
[youtube][/youtube]
And Bing Crosby's recording in 1931-
[youtube][/youtube]
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Ben baby - thanks so much for finding these! I like the Bing Crosby version because it includes the verse, and the song is meant to be sung by a man. The Fleischer toon is fun too, but leads me to wonder about something else. Although I am familiar with the bouncing ball format, it is before my time, and I would be curious to know if moviegoers of the time REALLY joined in to sing along with the screen. I'm trying to visualize several hundred voices chiming in with Madame Bordoni - try something like that in a theater today!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Jezebel38 wrote:Ben baby - thanks so much for finding these! I like the Bing Crosby version because it includes the verse, and the song is meant to be sung by a man. The Fleischer toon is fun too, but leads me to wonder about something else. Although I am familiar with the bouncing ball format, it is before my time, and I would be curious to know if moviegoers of the time REALLY joined in to sing along with the screen. I'm trying to visualize several hundred voices chiming in with Madame Bordoni - try something like that in a theater today!
Jez, even as late as the 1950s, when I was a lass, they were showing "bouncing ball" shorts in the theaters, and I remember the audience singing along quite enthusiastically. In my parents' day it was considered lots of fun to do it. By my time, the "bouncing ball" shorts were not shown as often (what I saw were the same old ones my parents had first seen).

I don't think Americans are, as a rule, in to group singing any more (you see the British doing it all the time in pubs and at home, in films and on TV), but I suppose in the dark we didn't feel so self-conscious.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

That songs dates back to the late 20's doesn't it? German maybe? Anyway, the Bing Crosby version was great, but who can forget the David Lee Roth version? Sadly, that was my first exposure to the song. Very very weird.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde