Favorites - another list

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I love musicals almost as much as film noir; at times I'm tempted to think they have more in common with one another than would immediately meet the eye and ear.
With that in mind, here are my five favorite musicals of all time!
1. SINGIN IN THE RAIN (1952) That's right, everybody either loves it or thinks its wildly overrated. For me, it has the best songs, the most exciting dancing and the funniest story-line. I never seem to tire of watching it.
2. THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT (1967) Jacques Demy's glorious French homage to the wonderful MGM musicals of the 50s--even going so far as casting Gene Kelly in a small but crucial role--has everything: fantastic music by Michel Legrand, incredible dancing from George Chakiris and Grover Dale and the undeniably breathtaking presence of Catherine Deneuve and Francoise Dorleac (real-life sisters, here playing twins; tragically, Ms. Dorleac died in a car crash just days after completing filming). It's really a fantastic film; Miramax has recently issued a beautiful DVD; go for it!
3. THE BAND WAGON (1953) Vincente Minnelli has a visual field day with this awesome Fred Astaire / Cyd Charisse musical featuring great Comden and Green tunes!
4. MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944) Minnelli again; plus the absolute end-all, be-all Judy Garland performance. "The Trolley Song" alone makes it a classic!
5. THE MUSIC MAN (1962) Pure Americana and a seemingly unending array of great tunes. And yes, Hollis, I agree: Shirley Jones is the cat's meow!!
Last edited by Dewey1960 on May 22nd, 2007, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

It's hard to pick just five, but...
THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)
My second favorite movie of all time. I LOVE all the songs and performances (musical and non-musical.) I actually get goosebumps when a character starts to sing! Especially Dorothy.
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944)
More great songs and Judy Garland. I love the Halloween and Christmas celebrations. And that house is my dream house!
CABARET (1972)
Bob Fosse did a brilliant job adapting this musical for the screen-changing things up a bit by having most of the songs performed in the Kit Kat Club. Liza Minelli and Joel Grey are "divine decadence" in this Berlin cabaret while the city is in turmoil from the rise of the Nazi party.
HAIR (1979)
Milos Forman brings this "American Tribal Love-Rock Musical" to the screen with wonderful choeography from Twyla Tharp and the voices of Nell Carter, Melba Moore,Ellen Foley, Betty Buckley, et al. Cheryl Barnes' soulful, heartbreaking performance of "Easy To Be Hard" is not to be missed!
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (1981)
Written by Dennis "The Singing Detective" Potter and directed by Herbert "Funny Lady" Ross. A dark drama set during the Depression...with the characters bursting into lavish production numbers-dancing and lip synching popular songs from that period. With Steve Martin, Bernadette Peters, Christopher Walken, et al.
Dewey1960

Rochefort

Post by Dewey1960 »

John - There's a 2-CD soundtrack set available of YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT that also includes some of the songs sung in English. It's a fantastic set--you owe it to yourself to get it!!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hey John, I also like 1776! 8)

I don't generally like filmed musicals, I much prefer live performances, but I do like:

Love Me Tonight (1932)

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Pal Joey (1957)

Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

1776 (1972)

I think the reason most of these work for me is the fact that they seem to translate better to film than the stage (with the exception of 1776) although modern technology has closed that gap considerably. It also annoys me a bit that after the early 30's voices were pretty much dubbed.

When you see a live performance with a genuine triple threat it's really inspiring because those people have to dance AND sing and still hold their notes on pitch at the end of the songs when they're worn out. Also, they have to have great intonation and pitch to begin songs without the orchestra. If they are a semitone sharp or flat the whole thing will sound out of tune. In this regard many movie musicals seem very safe, predictable, and FLAT.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on May 23rd, 2007, 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

mrsl wrote:
As for me, it depends a lot on what is going on at the moment. If all my bills are paid, I'm in contact with all my friends and relatives, nobody is sick, etc. I can watch musicals all day. However, if someone I love is ill, or I see another bombing at a school (or shooting) or a bombing in Iraq, or any other horrific thing that happens almost daily in our world, I kind of have a hard time accepting the carefree, everythings roses feeling of musicals.
Anne
Anne, check out Les Miserables sometime. Not a carefree musical at all, but a great one.
melwalton

musicals

Post by melwalton »

#1 'On The Avenue' Very well done with great score (Berlin) and singing by Dick Powell, Alice Faye and the Ritz Bros, Faye sings 'This Year's Kisses' great,
#2 'It's Love Again' Jessie Matthews best and (imo) she was - the best.
#3 'Oklahoma!' terrific R&H score well sung by Gordon McCrea and Shirley Jones.
#4 'My Fair Lady' I first saw this with surround sound in the theater, so much better than on tv. When they did the 'Get Me to the Church' number, I felt as if I had a 75 piece orchestra in each ear.
#5 'Golddiggers of 1935' I get enrapt when I hear that beautiful waltz, 'the Words are in my Heart' played well.

Like the fella said, this is subject to change, there were so many.
feaito

Difficult choices...

Post by feaito »

I have always liked musicals and I also have a similar feeling than Judith regarding them in the sense that they're not such favorites of mine as they used to be.

As a kid and teenager I used to love, idolize films like "The Sound of Music", "My Fair Lady" and "The Wizard of Oz" and really enjoyed watching them over and over again on local TV. And for me almost any other musical was at least worthwhile of being watched. I recall that one of my brothers loathed when the characters began singing in a movie!

Later when I grew up I ended disliking intensely "The Sound of Music", for example. Maybe I began finding it intolerably over-sentimental and corny, I don't know... or maybe I just grew tired of it.

What is clear to me now is that the aforementioned musicals are far from being personal favorites (as they used to be) and that currently I don't like either certain type of Broadway Musicals that are "transferred" to the screen, especially Rodgers & Hammerstein's musicals like "Oklahoma!", "South Pacific" or "Carousel". On the other hand, I still do like Cole Porter's musicals, because I love his music and witty & sophisticated lyrics. I like musical films which take advantage of the cinematic language, rather than those which look like a Broadway musical merely having being filmed "on location" or "outside a Theatre". It's like the difference between a real film and another that looks like a filmed stage-play.

BTW, My favorite composers/lyricist/songwriters are:

1. Cole Porter
2. Jerome Kern
3. George and Ira Gershwin
4. Rodgers & Hart
5. Irving Berlin

My top five films are:

1. "Love Me Tonight", which I discovered recently thanks to the KINO DVD edition and which I found stunningly fresh, witty, sophisticated, tongue-in-cheek, charming and risqué. FLAWLESS. Mamoulian a genius. More than the score in itself it's the masterful way in which the musical numbers are included or inserted in the film's plot.

2. "Kiss Me Kate". A perennial favorite of mine. IMO the score is perfect and the plot & dancing simply captivating. I have to watch it regularly. I can't get enough of it!

3. "Swing Time". My favorite Astaire-Rogers musical. Funny plot and lovely score by Jerome Kern.

4. "Good News" (1947). THE College musical and the Varsity Drag finale unbeatable.

5. "An American in Paris" (1951). A piece of art. Stunning. Marvelous score.

Honorable mentions: "The Pirate", "The Band Wagon", "Yolanda and the Thief", "Gold Diggers of 1933", "Top Hat", "The Merry Widow" (1934), "Maytime" (1937), "Funny Face" (1957) "Pal Joey" (1957) and more I cannot recall.

One thing that I like the most of DVDs is that you can easily play particular chapters where certain favorite musical numbers or sequences are included. I do that very regularly.
EleanorPowellFan

My Top Five Musicals

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

1. Broadway Melody of 1936 - Even though it isn't a true theatrical musicals it's a more escapism musical with a good storyline and wonderful dance routines.

2. Ziegfeld Follies - What a great film with all the stars coming onto the big screen!!! My favourite from the film is Lucille Ball and Judy Garland's Madame Crematante.

3. Dames - Wonderful camera work, the acting was tops!, dancing superb and the music priceless.

4. Sound of Music - A feel good musical with great songs and heartwarming storyline.

5. Swing Time - What can I say but just simply marvelous!!!!
movieman

My 5 favourite musicals at the moment.

Post by movieman »

I tend to appreciate musicals which have better plots, are very cinematic, have great songs + songs more naturally integrated in the plot.
As you can see below, the plot isn't always a main concern of mine in musicals.

1. Viva Las Vegas (1964) Not a good plot, but a beautiful Ann-Margret, the on-screen chemistry between the two leads Presley and Ann-Margret, songs I especially like, the best cinematography in a Presley film of the 1960's. A feel good film!

2. State Fair (1945) A plot I like, a feel good story, songs nicely integrated in the plot, the beautiful Jeanne Crain (her singing voice is dubbed by another songstress, though), Dick Haymes had a beautiful voice. Aother feel good film!

3. Love Me or Leave Me (1955) A great plot for a musical. Cagney getting angry can get a bit repetitive, though. Beautiful Doris Day singing beautiful songs. Very loosely based on the real life events of Ruth Etting.

4. April Love (1957) Remake of "Home in Indiana" (1944). Very lighthearted plot, but I like the songs, the beautiful Shirley Jones, the voice of Pat Boone and the dramatic rainstorm scenes with the horse.

5. A Star Is Born (1954) A very good plot with naturally integrated songs. I've never cared much for Judy Garlands singing, but James Mason is wonderful in his role as the alcoholic and jealous actor. Beautiful cinematography.

That's the one's which sprung to my mind at the moment. Hardly a conventional selection, I'd say...

Mary Poppins (1964) is another favourite of mine. A colorful and joyful musical with great songs.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Although a big fan of Mr Chaplin and silent comedy, I simply love musicals.

1 SINGIN' IN THE RAIN - not only the best musical and one of the happiest films ever made but possibly the best film ever made. I simply can't take my eyes off this film, especially the Broadway Ballet

2 GIGI - Romantic and in glorious technicolour. Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier and Louis Jourdan. A fabulous film, fabulous songs, fabulous cast.

3 GUYS AND DOLLS - Perhaps more contoversial but I love it, again I can't leave it alone if it's on the TV. Frank Sinatra's voice, Marlon Brando #sigh# (I can forgive him his singing voice), the lovely Jean Simmons, Vivian Blaine and Stubby Kaye one of the best scores musical scores ever, in the most vivid technicolour. How romantic Time Square seems.

4. A STAR IS BORN - I was torn as to which Judy film to nominate, I also like Meet Me In St Louis, The Wizard of Oz, Easter Parade and For Me and My Gal. A Star is Born just pips it for me because of it's superlative acting and great drama. Judy should have got an Oscar for her portrayal of Vicky Lester/Esther Blodgett. It's my favorite of James Mason's roles too.

5. FOOTLIGHT PARADE - It's difficult to choose between Busby Berkeley musicals but to me this film has the added dynamism of James Cagney. The three sequences at the end of this film are the icing on the cake for the thirties musicals.

Sorry, these are my five in order but I can't stick to five, I just have to mention these too

SWING TIME
LOVE ME TONIGHT
AN AMERICAN IN PARIS
THE BAND WAGON
MY FAIR LADY
CABARET
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

I could go on even further but I'll refrain myself, for now :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I didn't realize I never gave a list. For me it's the music and lyrics, I don't really care what the story is about, if I can listen to the music starting with the first song and replay the album, CD, or whatever, that's what turns me on.

1. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
2. Annie Get Your Gun
3. Oklahoma
4. State Fair
5. Gigi

And just for special notice - West Side Story

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman

Ann-Margret story.

Post by movieman »

Thank you very much, John M, for your story!
It was great!
May I share the story with other Ann-Margret fans in the Yahoo! Group 'annmargret'?