Favorites - another list

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'd like someone to analyze for me why I no longer enjoy movie musicals very much, even the old ones I used to love.

Of the list you provide, the only ones I might still watch are Flower Drum Song, and 1776, which isn't really much of a musical. I might add Guys and Dolls, and possibly Hans Christian Andersen, but for Andersen I'd rather just listen to the beautiful score than see the actual film.

Movie musicals just don't hold me any more, and I don't know why that should be when I used to be such a fan.

PS - I'm sorry, but I admit that loathe The Sound of Music and I always have. I'm mystified by its enduring popularity. Also, I recommend that you (I mean you-all, not you specifically, JohnM) listen to the original cast recording of same and hear Mary Martin sing the title song. It's entirely different from you-know-who's version, and very beautifully done.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

1. Golddiggers of 1922
2. Footlight Parade
3. 42nd Street

There's nothing better than pre-code Busby Berkely. Simply amazing stuff.

4. My Fair Lady

The most intelligent musical ever made.

5. The Music Man

Guilty pleasure.
JulieMarch4th

Post by JulieMarch4th »

Judith, I do understand what you mean. . . When I was younger I think I gravitated to musicals first over any genre. That's not true anymore. There are some that I just have trouble watching now -- West Side Story. The music is glorious, but the story is just too tragic for me to watch whenever it comes on -- I have to be in the right mood.

I was lucky enough to see The Sound Of Music when in the theater -- probably not first run, since I already knew the music. I grew up with LP recordings of show music, and I think I knew all the songs by heart. I wonder if it went around again in the late 60's? Early 70's?

JohnM -- I love Mary Poppins too, all of it. I wonder why people keep on talking about Dick Van Dyke and his accent? Who cares? Chim Chim Che-ree still gives me goosebumps.

Judith -- I'm glad to find someone else that likes Guys and Dolls. I love the stylised dialog. I love the songs. Confession time - even Brando's singing seems right in this movie!

Johndaris -- The Forgotten Man number? Haven't seen anything like it since. Also, Shanghi Lil?

There are musicals that I keep on when they show, but I still have a hard time finding 5 that I would consider my favorites. They change day by day.

Julie
Hollis

My Top 5 Musicals

Post by Hollis »

It's a good thing that you only asked for our top 5 musicals because I don't think I could have named 6! They're just not my genre of choice though I can appreciate the unique problems encountered during filming (i.e. sound, choreography, actor's vocal abilities) that others wouldn't present.

So here we go-

1. The Music Man - I fell in love with Shirley Jones at the ripe old age of nine! The Meredith Wilson story is superb. My favorite.

2. Singin' In the Rain - Arguably the best movie musical ever filmed and it's easy to see why. The depth of talent is almost without equal.

3. West Side Story - To my knowledge, this was the first time that a serious topic was translated to a musical, but I'm open to correction. That doesn't affect how good the movie was however.

4. The Wizard of Oz - If for no other reason than hearing Judy Garland sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," it deserves to be here, but the entire movie is filled with wonderful music and visuals. After seeing it a hundred or more times, it still hasn't lost its' charm. I think it may be the most timeless of all the musicals ever made. I can imagine children being captivated by it a hundred years from now.

5. 42nd Street- This is the first movie I can remember that featured "a show within a show." The music has stuck with me a long time and the story itself was such that the musical numbers became more integral to the movie than they are in most other films.
JulieMarch4th

Post by JulieMarch4th »

JohnM,

I must have seen it in the late 60's -- maybe 68 or 69. Did Mary Poppins have a similar long playing run, or was it re-released? I know I saw it in the theater, and I think I would have been a bit too young when it first came out.

I used to day-dream that I'd been named after Julie Andrews (my middle name is Ann), but no, my mother's best friend in high school.

Julie
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Judith:

As for me, it depends a lot on what is going on at the moment. If all my bills are paid, I'm in contact with all my friends and relatives, nobody is sick, etc. I can watch musicals all day. However, if someone I love is ill, or I see another bombing at a school (or shooting) or a bombing in Iraq, or any other horrific thing that happens almost daily in our world, I kind of have a hard time accepting the carefree, everythings roses feeling of musicals.

As youngsters, or young adults, most of us haven't yet seen the harsh realities of life yet, so we can accept a light musical, especially when we're children, who has less tension in their lives? But that's the great thing about musicals, sometimes they can lift us up out of our doldrums.

Anne
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

RE:

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

(In no particular order)

The Sound of Music ("Edelweiss," " The Hills are Alive" send me everytime and anywhere I hear them.)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers( I'm still lookin' for one of those seven brothers!)
Singing in the Rain It's the greatest! ("Good Mornin' is the happiest song I can think of.)
Calamity Jane I love when Howard Keel sings "My Love is Higher Than a Hawk"
Top Hat Love the dances, love the songs, and Fred and Ginger were never better for me.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Shonna

Musicals

Post by Shonna »

I love "The Sound of Music", "The King And I", and my ALL TIME FAVORITE is "West Side Story". ( I am biased a little because I had the part of "Anita" when I was a Senior in school)
What a story!!!
Shonna

Post by Shonna »

I'm sorry John, I wasn't clear.
What I meant was the various themes in the picture; bigotry, racism, murder, loss of innocence, love, etc..
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Hey, Shonna, I was in a production of West Side Story, too, back in my dancing days. I played Graziella--Action's girl in the stage version. For some reason in the film version, they switched the names of the 2 girls, Velma and Graziella, and Graziella became Riff's girl...

Anyway, I found that being in that show was a very moving experience for most of the cast, myself included. And I wish I could still do those double pirouettes from the Dance at the Gym choreography. Sadly, age and too much ice cream make me a bit rusty! :lol:

Sandy K