Happy 60th birthday Lulu

stuart.uk

Happy 60th birthday Lulu

Post by stuart.uk »

Can it really be 44-yrs ago that a 16-yr-old girl from Glasgow with her backing group The Lovers hit the British charts with one of the great rock an roll numbers Shout, which is regarded even now as the great lady's theme song.

Was it really 41-years ago that the 19-year-old Lulu acted in and sang To Sir With Love. It was her first number one, but not in the UK where it was on the b side of one of her singles, but in America, where it was recognized as a great song

Was it really 39-years-ago that the 21-year-old Lulu tied with four other acts and won The Eurovision Song Contest with Boom Bang A Bang, a song she didn't particulary like.

Other landmarks in a glitterting career include the Bond song The Man With The Golden Gun from Roger Moore's second outing as 007 and The Man That Ruled The World.

Lulu also did a bit of acting, for which, despite her own misgivings, she's very talented. On stage she was Peter Pan and Adilade in Guys And Dolls.. On tv she replaced the great Julie Walters and played the mother of Adrian Mole in The Diaries Of Adrian Mole, in a role she was very good.

Astonishingly she had to wait till the 1990s before she had her first and to date only UK number-one, teaming up with boy band Take That (a group that at the time included Robbie Williams) singing Relight My Fire.

Recently Lulu was a mentor on Simon Cowells Pop Idol in America and is flying out to the States to record tracks in the near future.

I maybe bias, but I think Lulu is the most successful female singer to come out of Scotland and IMHO second to only Tina Turner as the worlds best female rock an roll singer. In fact Lulu wrote Don't Wanna Fight for Tina in the movie What's Love Got To Do With It and sings the song in her own act.

Happy Birthday Lulu. Scotland is proud of you and as you would say in your Glasgow accent How's It Goin'
inglis

Post by inglis »

Hey Stu
I love Lulu great talent great voice and loved her with Poitier in To Sir With Love . How Long was she married to the brother Gibb . Was it Maurice she was married to? Thats right she is a bonnie lass from Scotland.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Lulu was married briefly to Maurice Gibb. Then she married hair dresser John Fredia, but divorced a few yrs back. She dated as far as I believe Davie Jones and David Bowie in her early yrs. Recently she had to deny rumours she was seeing Paul McCartney.

I get the impression that America knows her mainly for To Sir With Love, both the song and the film. I think most in the U.S haven't heard her theme song Shout, which is a classic. Then of course after a lean period she teamed up with Robbie Williams and boy band Take That for Relight My Fire
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I recall meeting Lulu (cute little blonde) in the 1980s in the Catskills. I was working in a depatment store in the furniture section and she came in to buy a sofa bed for some kind of a commune.
She wanted to pay by check and we didn't accept out of state checks and she said "I am Lulu!" I said "To Sir with Love" Lulu? And of course we worked it out since it was a local delivery which she wanted pronto.
A sofa bed can be very heavy and after the guys delivered it, she didn't give them a tip. So much for little Lulu.
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

mongoII wrote:
She wanted to pay by check and we didn't accept out of state checks and she said "I am Lulu!" I said "To Sir with Love" Lulu? And of course we worked it out since it was a local delivery which she wanted pronto.
A sofa bed can be very heavy and after the guys delivered it, she didn't give them a tip. So much for little Lulu.
As moon-eyed as I got over that chipper Brit sweetie in TSWL, and despite the LP's of hers I bought, I guess I can pretty easily believe your anecdote, Joe; remind me sometime to describe the tantrum that rock-group America's lead singer threw at me as an underpaid hotel clerk back in '79. Suffice to say I was torn between the desire to give him a diaper or a cuff in the head! :evil:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

A little belated, but with heartfelt love and admiration: birthday blessings
to one of the top girl singers of her day--the wonderful LULU ...
Here she is (fresh from a recent stint at the Record Party ) with
a present she gave all of us once...
"Oh Me Oh My"
[youtube][/youtube]