HairSpray

inglis

HairSpray

Post by inglis »

Hello .I was just wondering if any body has seen HairSpray The Musical and what they thought of it .I took my daughter to see it last Saturday and it was really good .The only thing I found to be weird is that we dressed up nicely for it and because it was a matinee at the threater I assumed that other people would be a little dressed up too .Boy was I wrong .Lots of people looked like they just got off work and I felt a bit sad as it seems that some of those days are gone now .Is it wrong to feel that way or should people get dressed up more when they go to the theater. This could be another topic but I thought I would throw it in as its connected to the show. .Carol :?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I haven't seen "Hair Spray" but I agree that the dress code for the theater has diminished. Years ago I had would go to see the Baltimore Symphony and it was just starting to change. Some of the older folks would wear suits and finer dresses but the younger people would come in jeans and casual shirts. My parents still go and it's very casual now. Probably too casual.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Moraldo Rubini

Re: HairSpray

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

inglis wrote:Hello .I was just wondering if any body has seen HairSpray The Musical and what they thought of it .I took my daughter to see it last Saturday and it was really good .The only thing I found to be weird is that we dressed up nicely for it and because it was a matinee at the threater I assumed that other people would be a little dressed up too .Boy was I wrong .Lots of people looked like they just got off work and I felt a bit sad as it seems that some of those days are gone now .Is it wrong to feel that way or should people get dressed up more when they go to the theater. This could be another topic but I thought I would throw it in as its connected to the show. .Carol :?
Are you talking about a stage presentation or the movie? Did you see it on Broadway? The attire of Broadway audiences started getting more casual some 20 years ago. I was stunned a few months ago when I attended a performance of Young Frankenstein (in NY) and saw audience members in cutoffs! Then had to laugh when I attended the Sex and the City movie on the Upper West Side and the entire audience was dressed to the nines. It seemed a complete reversal: casual to the legitimate theatre and dressed to the movies.