WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

knitwit45

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by knitwit45 »

Just in my memory banks,'Nando....just in my memory banks (which are slowly disintegrating with time :shock: )
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Kismet is one of my favourites,too. As much a comedy as a romance. My copy is from Amazon, who refused to sell it to me, sales of this to Australia being banned. One gets around these things. I have 17 of Anne`s 33 movies.
I send birthday and Christmas greetings to a few film stars. I do not seek or expect replies, I just let them know they are appreciated, but in January this year I received a picture of Ann Blyth. Written on it was “Merry Christmas Douglas” and it was signed Ann Blyth. So she is now my favourite film star.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Last night I watched Roberta (1935). What a great show this is, far more moving and romantic than it`s remake “Lovely To Look At “ (1952).
Helen Westley as the dying Roberta, Irene Dunne as Stephanie, Ginger Rogers as Countess Scharwenka, Fred Astaire as Huckleberry Haines, Randolph Scott as John Kent, Victor Varconi as Prince Ladislaw, the doorman.
John Kent travels to Paris to visit his Aunt Minnie (Roberta). With him is the band “The Indianians”. On arrival in France the band is sacked because the night club owner expected Indians. John visits his aunt who he feels may be able to help the band find work. John meets Stephanie and it is love at first sight. The doorman is an expat Russian prince. At the night club Stephanie is greeted as a princess. John gets drunk and is asked to leave.(He assumes she has she has married the doorman). It ends well (doesn`t it always) when John finds out that Stephanie really is a princess and the doorman is her cousin.

Irene Dunne sings a song from the movie, as the drunken Randolph Scott leaves. Also features a dance sequence with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. A critic later said "Ginger Rogers can do all Fred Astaire can do, but she does it backwards and in high heels".

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Fossy, why are sales banned to Australia? (Inquiring minds want to know :lol: :lol: ) Or make "Inquiring" "Nosy"?????
feaito

Post by feaito »

I am glad that you also like "Kismet" Fossy. I'd like to watch again the non-musical 1944 version starring Ronald Colman and Marlene Dietrich.

"Roberta" is truly one of my favorites, especially because of the wonderful Jerome Kern score, one of his very best. Can't get enough of Jerome Kern. I'd like Warners to release "Lovely to Look At" (1952), because although inferior to the 1935 film, it has a great rendition of "I'll be Hard to Handle" -with the wolves- by Ann Miller.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Good question knitwit 45. I do not know. It just happens that sometimes when I order a film I am told that it is not available to me. No WB archive collection movies are available for sale to Australia. If you have a WB Archive Collection movie look at the back cover, below the credits, and you will see, in bold letters, Not Authorised for sale or rental outside the USA.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Feaito
"Lovely To Look At" is available from http://www.myoldmanmovies.com for $4.99
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the link Fossy.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw two Jane Powell flicks:

"Nancy Goes to Rio" (1949) a glossy remake of Deanna Durbin's "It's a Date" (1940) in glorious Technicolor with Ann Sothern, Barry Sullivan, the wonderful Louis Calhern, the stupendous Carmen Miranda and Scotty Beckett. Fine music. dances and an entertaining plot.

"Two Weeks with Love" (1951) a endearing film set at the turn of the century with Louis Calhern and Ann Harding as Powell's parents, Ricardo Montalbán, Phyllis Kirk, Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter. Very good musical numbers and an enjoyable storyline that depicts Powell's character awakening to love. Superiour to the previous film and reportedly Powell's favorite picture. The DVD edition included Robert Osborne's Private Screening with Miss Powell -a splendid bonus- that shows the unassuming, warm and down-to-earth personality of Jane Powell.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Rich Young And Pretty is my favorite Jane Powell movie but mostly because of Danielle Darriuex who is absolutely charming and adorable as Janes secret Mother.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Feaito
These are two of my favourite Jane Powell movies. (I have them all). “Nancy Goes To Rio”, I feel is superior to the Deanna Durbin movie “It`s a Date”. The colour and presentation make it so.

Two Weeks With Love is definitely my favourite of Jane`s movies. It is a great story and the presentation is fantastic. I have been unable to find a link to her opening song, “A Heart That`s Free” which is as good a version of this song I have ever heard. Deanna Durbin also sang this in the movie “One Hundred Men and a Girl”.
Here is the dream from “Two Weeks With Love”.

Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Uncle Stevie
“Rich Young And Pretty” is another great movie of the time, with Jane and Danielle looking enough alike to be mother and daughter. It is interesting to note that the age difference between Danielle and Jane is ten years and eleven months. Now that is what you call a young mother.
Danielle is probably the longest lasting actress of all time ( even longer than the lovely Evelyn Laye). Danielle made her film debut at age 13 years and 10 months in the movie “Le Bal (1931)” and shot to fame in the movie Mayerling (1936). She has appeared in over 110 movies. I sent her a birthday card (she was 93 on 1 May 2010) but it was returned “not known at this address”. Her latest movie was “Piece Montee” (2010), and she is scheduled to make another movie “Veel Uks Croissant” in 2011.

From the movie “Rich Young And Pretty” Danielle sings

feaito

Post by feaito »

Uncle Stevie wrote:Rich Young And Pretty is my favorite Jane Powell movie but mostly because of Danielle Darriuex who is absolutely charming and adorable as Janes secret Mother.
This is a film I've been wanting to see literally for decades. Danielle, Jane and Fernando Lamas. What a trio!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Fossy,

Thanks for the links.

Danielle Darrieux is one of the loveliest performers and she's had an incredible long career. She's so versatile. Have you seen her in the 1938 comedy "The Rage of Paris"? She's superb in it...and in her French films I've seen, like "Madame de..." (1953) or "Mayerling" (1936), she's even better...She also fantastic in Mankiewicz's "Five Fingers" (1952).

Jane Powell and Deanna Durbin have both strong and beautiful operatic voices and I feel they were better equipped -vocally- than Jeanette MacDonald for instance. Jane's version of Will You Remember? in "Deep in My Heart" (1954) is very good. Her voice is clear as springwater.

In "Nancy Goes to Rio" Jane sings twice -beautifully- the English version of "Te Quiero Dijiste" aka "Mucho, Mucho, Mucho" called "Magic is the Moonlight", which was sung in its original version by Carlos Ramírez to Esther Williams in "Bathing Beauty" (1944)
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I have been watching

Lily Pons in I dream Too Much with a very young Henry Fonda and Lily is marvelous.

Lily Pons in That Girl From Paris. I love Lily but the movie script and dialogue was not good.

Evelyn Laye in One Heavenly Night and also Evelyn Laye in The Night Is Young. I love Evelyn Laye and think she is adorable and plays cute roles.

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"