"Broadway Melody of 1935"

EleanorPowellFan

Gene Kelly

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

JohnM wrote:Powell's continued recognition and appreciation suffers, not from her abilities as a dancer, compared to Kelly and Astaire, but to her output of films. She has nothing quite like some of the classics of Kelly and Astaire. She's superb. As is my favorite screen dancer, Vera-Ellen.
Well Eleanor Powell has her classic charm and so does Fred though Gene I'm afraid I see nothing in him, (as I said in another thread) he just seems to be too egotistical to be a real classic unlike Fred. Yes his dancing is good but his character is just too over himself. Eleanor Powell's acting I guess just wasn't good though from Lady be Good onwards she improves.

Fred was an excellent actor,dancer,person/Gene was a good actor and nice dancing and Eleanor Powell just danced and was a wonderful person. In the end it really is those who were humble and more educated in their character that got the most respect.
EleanorPowellFan

My Youtube Page

To anyone who is interested in Eleanor Powell you can go to my youtube site where I have uploaded quite a number of Eleanor Powell routines at

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Shurayuki18481

Here is a Lost Routine which was supposed to be added in Honolulu (1939) but was never added and edited into The Great Morgan (1946).
This is what her nightclub routines would have looked like. -You may have to pause the video for a while before watching the whole clip.
[youtube][/youtube]
melwalton

musicals

Post by melwalton »

Eleanor.
From your posts, I get the idea that you kinda like Eleanor Powell. I understand. I feel that way about Jessie Matthews. She was a dancer, too.
Kidding aside, Powell was very good. She must have worked hard, like Astaire to achieve what she did. There were so many. I see a lot of shorts with dancers who were very good and, almost completely, unknown. In the 30s just about every musical had some tap dancing. Do you remember Hal Leroy? Or Eleanor Whitney, or Johnny Downs? You mentioned the Nicholas Brothers, I've never seen a better dancer than Harold Nicholas except for brother Fayard.
I got the same impression as you about Gene Kelly but he was a very good dancer. Hope you keep posting about musicals, my favorite topic. .... mel
EleanorPowellFan

Re: musicals

melwalton wrote:Eleanor.
From your posts, I get the idea that you kinda like Eleanor Powell. I understand. I feel that way about Jessie Matthews. She was a dancer, too.
Kidding aside, Powell was very good. She must have worked hard, like Astaire to achieve what she did. There were so many. I see a lot of shorts with dancers who were very good and, almost completely, unknown. In the 30s just about every musical had some tap dancing. Do you remember Hal Leroy? Or Eleanor Whitney, or Johnny Downs? You mentioned the Nicholas Brothers, I've never seen a better dancer than Harold Nicholas except for brother Fayard.
I got the same impression as you about Gene Kelly but he was a very good dancer. Hope you keep posting about musicals, my favorite topic. .... mel
Yes actually I have heard of Eleanore Whitney I think she is just as fantastic! There is a clip of her and Louis Da Pron on youtube called Swing Tap, it's very good!!!!