"The Pajama Game" (1957)

mongoII

"The Pajama Game" (1957)

Post by mongoII »

One of the truly unsung musicals of the 1950s, with a remarkably convincing performance from Doris Day, an impressive movie debut by John Raitt and wonderful choreography by Bob Fosse.
Carol Haney (from the record breaking Broadway production) makes a wonderful front office employee and with her number "Steam Heat" gives Fosse's choreographic skills full rein! The "Once a Year Day" picnic number is a riot.
Truly a joy of a movie, wonderfully photographed in magical colors and in excellently framed CinemaScope. How hard to think this film has been overlooked for so long
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

DORIS BIO INFO...

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Doris Day discussed the making of this film a little bit in her bio with A.E. Hotchner and stated that it was very difficult to just jump-start her part with the established Broadway cast because pretty much everyone in the cast had been rehearsing and performing the musical for several months (or more).

I just loved this film's energy and pacing. I felt John Raitt's voice was good, and his talents always seem a bit underrated. Any comments?
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Mmmmm...John Raitt! What a man! What a voice!

I love The Pajama Game. I love the score (especially Hernando's Hideaway, I'm Not at All in Love, Hey There), I love Fosse's choreography (so playful), and I love all the performances. Having all of the original Broadway cast (with the exception of Janis Page) recreate their roles for the film is a wonderful document. I think that Doris more than holds her own with them--she really could sing (listen to her belt those songs out!), and dance, so she was a perfect fit. Her chemistry with Raitt is electric. Too bad he didn't do any other film musicals. He had the pipes and the looks.

It's a perfect musical to watch on a summer's evening.

Sandy K
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Just watched "The Pajama Game" again today on a DVD that I purchased from WalMart for just a buck.
I couldn't believe how good the quality was. And of course the movie is always a pleasue to see.
Joseph Goodheart
melwalton

Pajama game

Post by melwalton »

Re: Pajama Game. I'd like to mention Rita ( Reta ) Shaw. To look at her one would doubt that she could walk, let alone dance but she was good.
Movie had some really good songs. .... mel
Vienna

Re: "The Pajama Game" (1957)

Post by Vienna »

I agree, one of the great screen adaptations of a Broadway success. And ,boy, did Doris Day fit right in amongst so many of the original stage cast. I was delighted to find on YouTube a number Doris sang but it was then cut from the movie. It's "The Man Who Invented Love" and it's a great ballad beautifully sung.
John Raitt ,terrific, such a shame he didn't get any more screen musicals.
This film is a perfect example of how a stage musical can be converted to film whilst retaining the great score and staging the numbers so well for film. E g "Once a Year Day" makes full use of the outdoors.
Carol Haney was a riot and Eddie Foy a perfect foil for her.
It could be argued that Janis Paige who originated the role of 'Babe Williams' should have been allowed to do the film, but Doris made it her own.I'm sure Janis would have been great too.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: "The Pajama Game" (1957)

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw it for the first time tonight and I must say it is one of the loudest musicals I've ever seen. Day and Raitt are fine and most of the dancing is first rate if unusual. But some of the songs are screamed instead of sung and "I Love You More" (I guess that is the title) was just a little more than I could take.

When Doris is allowed to sing (rather than scream like in the first number) she's wonderful.

Just not quite my cup of tea.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."