Bing Crosby

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Well, all I can say is, Bing had exceptional taste in women. :)

I'm glad 20 year old Julie turned him down.

Sandy K
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

PKTREKGIRL wrote:

However, one film I would NOT show is HERE COMES THE GROOM. I watched this film because I positively ADORE Franchot Tone and just think he is the cutest thing going. But I could barely get through this film because the 'creepy' air coming off of Bing is so strong in this film. To those of us who sense 'creepy' in this man, it is especially difficult to get through this one because he is around little kids so much in it. And frankly, if I had little kids, I wouldn't let Bing anywhere near them.

Then PKTREKGIRL, I guess the scene in HIGH SOCIETY where Bing croons "Little One" to 12 year old Lydia Reed must really set your teeth on edge!
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

JohnM wrote:LOL! Well, "creepy" is certainly a new take on Der Bingle, for me. I'd like to know, more specifically, what you find so creepy about him? Perhaps that's why Julie Andrews turned down his marriage proposal?
Well, actually, it's not such a new take. In fact, I was just talking to a film trader buddy of mine in Sweden on the phone the other night, and we were chatting about male singers in classic film. I mentioned the fact that there are two, and only two, that I REALLY don't care for: Bing Crosby and Al Jolson.

To which he replied that I sounded *exactly* like his wife, who can't stand either of them either. He asked me my reasons (he likes them both and so was curious)...and even the reasons turned out to be identical to those of his wife.

I'm not sure I can even explain it with Bing...and I'm not sure that I'd even *want to* fully in a public forum because my intention not to slander the man. I mean, I want to be clear that I know next to nothing about him personally - this feeling I have is not based on any facts whatsoever...but more a 'sense' that I have about him that somethin' just ain't right. :P

To me, the way he acts around those kids in HERE COMES THE GROOM just 'feels' like the way a child molester would act or something - very engaging toward the kids...but very, very, smooth. TOO smooth, in fact...in kind of a creepy. very deliberate sort of way. Especially in his speaking voice. Just too smooth.

In truth, watching that film makes me VERY uncomfortable. Which is a shame because I really like Jane Wyman alot, and adore Franchot Tone.

Bing has a very good voice - I'll certainly give him that.

But the man just makes me VERY uncomfortable. He just feels too smooth and controlled. Like he is hiding something.

Again...NO factual basis for that feeling - it's just a sense I have. *shrug*
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Bob Birchard

Re: Bing Crosby

Post by Bob Birchard »

moirafinnie wrote:Okay, musical mavens, I've a question for you about Bing Crosby, (and it has nothing to do with his sometimes painful personal life). If you were trying to introduce Mr. C. to someone unfamiliar with his vocal accomplishments what movie might you recommend? Do you think that there is one film that captured his appeal as a singer better than others? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Wow, I'm surprised so many people have suggested "White Christmas" and "High Society," they certainly don't, to me at least, represent Bing at the peak of his powers.

At the same time, some of the early films might be a little strange for those who don't know Crosby.

My votes for a "conversion" festival to turn an indifferent soul into a Crosby fan would be:

1) Rhythm on the River (1940) one of the best Crosby pix and it shows off all his moods

3) The Big Broadcast (1932) which offers a sense of Crosby's early appeal.

3) The Road to Morocco (1942) or The Road to Utopia (1946) because you gotta have a Road picture and these are two of the best, though I'm partial to Colona's final line in The Road to Rio.

4) She Loves Me Not (1934) early Crosby at his comedic best

5) Double or Nothing (1936) A transitional film for Big from programmers to higher budgeted fare, and one of his most entertaining.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks for those recommendations, Bob. I'm already a great admirer of Bing as a singer and am looking forward to seeing more of his early movies. The road movies (a joy) are the only ones on your list I've yet seen.
melwalton

CROSBY

Post by melwalton »

I was very surprised. No one mentioned 'Mississippi" and only one mention of "She Loves Me Not", besides mine. I'm guessing, very few have seen them, in that they're too old. To hear Bing at his best, listen to two outstanding songs; 'Love in Bloom' ( Rainger / Robin ) and 'It's Easy to Remember' ( Rodgers / Hart ) ..... mel
inglis

clooney and crosby

Post by inglis »

I would pick White Christmas .I love the duets with Rosemary Clooney.