Love At Last

Fossy

Re: Love At Last

Post by Fossy »

It would seem that I have started an interesting topic. I am especially impressed by the words of Klondike and Jack Farrell, both of whom have experienced love at first sight, and also have long and happy marriages.

I lost my wife on 30 Nov 2008. At her funeral on 4 Dec 2008 my son and my elder daughter each delivered a eulogy. This is what my son had to say.

Once upon a time there was a war. When the war was over many people came to Australia. Among them was a little English girl, with her mother, father and little baby sister. Of course she made friends easily, and being in a hot country her friends were keen on swimming.
One day there was a swimming carnival, and she wanted to go and watch her friends swim. So, she asked her Mum. “Oh no” said Mum, “I don`t think so”. So she asked her Dad. “No” said Dad “Australians go there, They are too rough for you my girl”.
But commonsense prevailed and the little English girl went with her mother.
Also at the carnival was a young boy who caught the eye of the little English girl. So she said to her mother “he does not look like a rough boy”. “ No! said Mum. “He looks a nice boy” said the little English girl. Yes, said Mum .
“I am going to marry him” said the little English girl. In shock Mum went home and told Dad.” I’ll soon sort him out” said Dad. “Who is he? Where does he live”.
“I don`t know”, said the little English girl. “Well” said Dad, “If you don`t know who he is , and you don`t know where he lives, how are you going to marry him?
“ I love him” said the little English girl.
And this week, on the eve of their fifty fourth wedding anniversary, they parted.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Jacks,

I'm with you. The first time I saw MrC, he took my breath away. It took us six months to work up to going out. But we have been together from our first date sixteen years ago.

And we will be together until the end.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ken123

Post by ken123 »

On my first date with my late wife I was t6hinking about having more dates, on our second date I was sure that I was going to marry here, about 6 weeks later I did. :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The morning after our 2nd date, the Northridge Earthquake hit about 4 in the morning. It was a devastating earthquake that caused major damage from Santa Monica to Hollywood to Northridge to Valencia, basically throughout Los Angeles county.

I could reach all of my friends but could not get through to MrCutter. He lived in Valencia and the phone lines were down. The news reports were dire coming out of Valencia (where he lived) with the 5 freeway having collapsed.

I promised God that I would give up smoking (an almost 20 year habit) if MrC was okay.

When I finally reached him by phone, I knew, in that moment, he was the man I was going to marry.

And yes, I gave up smoking for good.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

These are wonderful stories and I almost cried at all of them. I am a romantic and am passionate about your love connections.

My story was plain and uninspiring. I met my future wife on a blind date and it was the last date either of us had except with each other. Her parents liked me and prompted her to say "my Parents want to no if you intend to marry me? I was taken back by this but with a big smoochy kiss said "yes I do". I actually asked her Father for permission for her hand and of course he said yes. I was very nervous. In April of 2011 we will be married 49 years.

My Daughter met her Husband on the telephone as a wrong number. Theyt spoke for over an hour and agreed to meet on a street from afar. They like what they saw and are now married 12 years. Her future Husband did ask me for permission to marry her. I guess it is a ritual in some families.

Love can happen and when two of you share your passions and problems you become a team with a goal of success. And by the way, IMHO it is not all about sex.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Who said romance was dead? I'm proud to keep company with a bunch of unashamed romantics and have loved reading your stories.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Hey guys I ran across this on another Blog and was blown away. The extreme love and compassion is unequaled. I cried when I read this and you might also. It is truly heartfelt.

charles of boca
Member # 732

posted December 21, 2010 03:48 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not one to share my pain, my problems, with others. I have, to be honest, rolled my eyes and not understood while reading posts by others about such personal matters. I always wondered why they would bring it here, a music site, conceived and perpetuated by our admiration of a singer.

Tonight, my only love died. Her name was Marty. We were married some 20 years, and divorced for that many years now. But we always loved each other, stayed in touch, called one another regularly, helped each other any way we could when help was needed. We could always count on each other, no matter what.
Two children, Guy and Jayson, still in Boca and with her till the end, as was I.
They called some 10 days ago. "Dad," came the dreaded phone call, "You better get down here as soon as you can."
I knew Marty had been going through many medical problems for years now -- ulceras colitis, rectal cancer, on and on. In and out of hospitals, wearing a bag, often in pain. But she always was positive, full of sunshine and optimism.
She was a church lady, a strong and longtime member, beloved by many there. She led prayer groups, did charity work and was beloved by all who came her way.
She was incredible. We would go to a party, and in minutes I'd be in the corner, quiet and uncomfortable, and watch in awe and love as she attracted a group of people she had not previously known but who quickly liked her, hovering around her, laughing with her, absorbing her total purity of soul. She attracted real friends without trying, and was always the one person they all bonded with, shared problems and stories and laughed and exchanged personal secrets, knowing she was lockbox secret concerning such matters.
Very religious, church twice a week, bible study leader. She truly loved her religion, practiced it, was kind to all, tutored the poor for no reward (she had a Masters in Education).

Oh, yes, she was an especially attractive lady -- 110 pounds, terrific body, great face. Many times we were out together at some event (Super Bowl parties, All-Star games, Olympic gatherings -- I was a sports editor then, and we had some terrific times -- even the night James Garner (Maverick) hit on her and I had to let him know to back off. But it was a great story for us later.
We divorced some years ago, and it was probably mostly my fault. I've never been even close to the person she is, was, and I've always known that. But we had two sons, now 32 an 29 and still in Boca, and we've all stayed in touch and close over the years.
Marty and I would talk every week or two, chat about how our lives were going, and neither of us struck up another serious relationship. We just came to the conclusion that we were destined to be, eventually, together.
My last real conversation with her was a month or more ago. She told me then, again, that there was a place for me with her in Boca, and she was just waiting till I could come "home."
I've been living in Michigan City, my hometown for some years now and have carved out my own life, simple, stressless, satisfying. I still cared for her more than I even knew...till now.
I spent much of last week in Boca, where Marty had been moved to a hospice. The shock of learning she was in that bad of shape, that ill, that suddenly, was a stab in the heart like I've never experienced before.
I flew down to Boca the day after my son Guy called and told me the situation. It had come on suddenly, and within a month she was hospitalized, analyzed and pronounced past the point of no return. Taken to a hospice to live her final days.
I spent four days there with her, sleeping on the couch in the room, holding her hand for hours as she lay almost a human skeleton, comotose, all wired up, etc. A few lucid moments occurred, and she would recognize me, smile, clutch my hand. I'd read to her, put water in her mouth, rub her forehead, kiss her cheek.
It was so incredibly difficult. Here was a woman who is without question the finest person I've ever known, the kindest, the most lively, absolutely without guile, a wonder. Never smoked, drank or did drugs, always ate healthy, was active and in great shape.
And now here she was, racked with pain, a shell of herself. And me, who has smoked and drank way too much and lived a life tthat should place me in hell, at her bedside healthy as you can imagine.
How can that be? Why would that be? SHE is the one who should live another 20 years. I am the one who should die now, or soon . It does not make sense, it's just wrong as hell, and I hate it.
Marty died tonight. She will be cremated and her ashes spread around the ocean at Cocoa Beach, where she grew up and where we met.
Yes, it's been hard for me this week, and of course tonight. Tears aplenty, looking through the old pics of those great days and remembering when I had something special and knowing that will never again happen.
A very special lady has left us and I can tell you we are all poorer for it. They don't make 'em like that very often.
I learned so much from her over the years, even the last few months, when she did not mention her impending illness, just stayed cheery and positive when we talked on the phone. Even though she was dying.
I am not sure why I've written this and posted it here. I've been on this forum many years, but don't have any close friends here. Geez, if Marty had been on this forum, she would have 100 people who loved her by now.
Guess I just wanted to share some thoughts and memories. And to tell all who read this about this wonderful, special lady who has left us.
A piece of me is gone now, will never be replaced, and it's going to take some time to realize there will be no more phone calls, sharing laughs and memories.
Believe me when I say -- she was the best. You should have known her.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 653 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2002 | Logged: 76.208.17.72 |
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I appreciated everyone's lovely stories; Fossy, yours brought tears to my eyes, thank you for sharing that with us. My parents have a great love and they are proof to me that it exists...despite my inclination to disillusionment. They are two peas in a pod and would drive anyone else nuts so it's a good thing they found each other. Most importantly, they are always polite to each other and it is a good influence to be around them.
B