Another Stageshow, Another Feature Film

benwhowell

Oops!

Post by benwhowell »

I had a great photo of Javier...Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in posting a photo?
Kyle In Hollywood

Post by Kyle In Hollywood »

Hi Benhowell -
The problem with displaying the picture is with IMDB and not anything you did. IMDB has a special method for displaying their photos intending to stop the photos from being copied and displayed all over the internet. I don't think you can link to a Photo Gallery image at IMDB because the path is hidden behind an "overlay" line of code, from what I have deduced.

There is a way to save a IMDB photo but it means digging the image file out of your Temporary Internet Files folder.

Also, I caught the last 30 minutes of Before Night Falls last night and immediately thought about Bardem as a potential Guido Contini too. I think it could be an inspired choice. (And economical as I bet the women's roles will be drawing high profile actresses and their high fees.)
I wonder if he can sing?

Also gave thought to his co-star Olivier Martinez but he may be too young. And too handsome.

I am almost certain Rob Marshall already has someone in mind for the role of Guido. I just hope it is someone other than Antonio Banderas. (I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Evita. And it isn't all Madonna's fault)

kjk

ps - was this the photo you wished to post?
Kyle In Hollywood
Kyle In Hollywood

Also found this photo of Bardem. I thnk it is much more a Contini-ish image.

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
Kyle In Hollywood

Here's Olivier Martinez -
Kyle In Hollywood
Kyle In Hollywood

And I wonder if Liam Neeson can sing?
kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
moira finnie
Administrator

Welcome, JohnM!

Post by moira finnie »

Hi John,
I'm glad that you found your way here. Your informative comments about Anita Morris are quite touching. I've never quite forgotten the time that she visited the old Tonight show and draped herself across Johnny Carson's desk, causing some consternation and blushing by the host.

Ms. Morris was a fine example of a beautiful sprite with a fine, (and highly sensual), sense of humor. In reading about the recent revival of The Apple Tree on Broadway, I immediately thought that it was a shame that she's not around to add her charm to that production. I hope that you'll enjoy this splendid new group and continue to contribute your thoughts.
Moira
benwhowell

"I am lusting for more. Should I settle for less?"

Post by benwhowell »

Thanks for the info, Kyle. I just assumed that IMDb photos were there for the taking...
Thanks for the photos of Javier!
I don't know if he can sing. (I'm sure Rob Marshall could "make" that happen. Look what he did with the cast of "Chicago.")
As for dancing...well, one of Javier's earlier jobs was as a "stripper."
He is a consummate actor. His wheelchair bound performance in Almodovar's "Live Flesh" (from '97) is powerful and quite sexually charged.
Looking forward to seeing him in Woody Allen's Spanish project...
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Que Pasa?

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dear Ben,
Please clue me in. Woody Allen has a project in Spanish? Or Spain?

What's the scoop?
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
benwhowell

Morning Woody Update...

Post by benwhowell »

Hi, Chris(ty)
According to IMDb-Woody finished a film (the third in his London trilogy) titled "Cassandra's Dream." It is a drama with Ewan McGregor and Colin Farrell as brothers who become involved with "crime."
His next film is scheduled to be shot in Barcelona this summer-with Javier, Scarlett Johansson and Penelope Cruz...
Has he left his beloved NYC for good?
I believe he gets more gigs with his jazz band in Europe.
Moraldo Rubini

Nine

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Kyle said:
Now, who would make a good middle-aged Italian to play the lead? (Antonio Banderas, who did the revival in 2003 better not get the role.)
Kyle, I was lucky enough to have seen both Broadway productions of Nine, first with Raul Julia, the wonderful Liliane Montevecchi, and the oh-so-sexy Anita Morris.

And I'll preface this paragraph by saying that in general I don't care for Antonio Banderas; in fact, I avoid his films. But he was great in Nine. To my surprise, the entire production was better than the original; the sets were amazing. Chita Rivera took Montevecchi's role, Jane Krakowski was in Anita Morris' part. Both made the parts their own. Mary Stuart Masterson took the role of Guido's long-suffering wife. I'd fully support Banderas' taking the role of Guido Anselmi. He can sing and brought great depth to the role.

Moira said:
The only movie in which Antonio B. really came across to me was the Zorro movie...
We're going to have to hook you up with his earlier works when he was still in Spain and acting as Pedro Almodovar's muse. Matador, La Ley del deseo, Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios... these were the movies that made him a star. Unfortunately, he came to America and made a series of commercial pap. Oh, I can think of another later movie that made him shine: his Puss-in-Boots was the best thing about the sequel to Shrek. He was very convincing as the egotistical pussy.

Perhaps I should have read the entire thread before posting! Kyle later said:
Also, I caught the last 30 minutes of Before Night Falls last night and immediately thought about Bardem as a potential Guido Contini too. I think it could be an inspired choice.
Javier Bardem is one of my favorite current actors. You're right, he was great in Before Night Falls, and Oscar worthy in Mar adentro. He could act the pants off the role of Guido, but I'm betting he cannot sing. But who knew Renee Zellwegger could dance [before Chicago]? He should be trained and auditioned (oh for the studio days with their excellent training methods).
Moraldo Rubini

A funny thing happened on the way to the thread...

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Shall we make this the "Stage to Movie/Movie to Stage" thread? If so, I'm going to take this thread from a movie version of Nine (which was the stage version of Fellini's 8 1/2) and continue with Grey Gardens...

Last Saturday night, I had the pleasure of seeing the Broadway musical version of Albert and David Maysles' documentary Grey Gardens. This movie -- which has a cult-like following and played on TCM in the past year -- is a quirky view into the lives of Edith Bouvier Beale and her daughter "Little Edie". This pair were darlings of the social set in the early 1940's, but were discovered living in ruins in the 1970's when the city of East Hampton condemned their 28 room mansion as unfit for habitation. The fact that they were related to Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwell brought their plight to the headlines of American tabloids (See examples). It's a bizarre tale, and I couldn't imagine how it could be transferred to a Broadway musical.

The stagework brings new levels and understanding to the story. The movie portrays the eccentric lives these women are living, and the audience is left to wonder how they ever ended up like this. They talk about their past (Little Edie's intended engagement to Joe Kennedy, for instance), but their storytelling is so bizarre that we wonder how much is merely fancy. After a preface, the musical takes us back to 1941 and particularly fateful night when their lives were turned upside down. To see the grace of their previous lifestyle, and the beautiful condition of the house makes the second act (which takes place in the same timeframe as the movie) all the more heartbreaking.

Christine Ebersole is amazing. I wondered how many times she must have watched the documentary, as she has the gestures, the vocal timbre and cadence down pat; as if the movie has come to life. In the scenes taking place during the 1940's she plays "Big Edie"; and she plays "Little Edie" in the 1970's scenes. Mary Louise Wilson plays the elderly Edie in the 1970's. Movie fans would also recognize John McMartin (as Major Bouvier) from his many roles in films like Sweet Charity, Kinsey, Blow Out and Pennies from Heaven.

Now, I wonder, will they make a movie version of the stage musical?
Last edited by Moraldo Rubini on May 15th, 2007, 11:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I caught a few moments of Mambo Kings the other night. Last time I saw that film it was in a theater on its original release.

That said, Armand Assante perhaps for Nine?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Ooooh, I'm so jealous that you got to see Grey Gardens, Marco!!! And especially with the divine Christine Ebersole. Thanks for the review.

Sandy K