June Haver

mrsl

Re: June Haver

Post by mrsl »

Fossy:

I liked Scudda Hoo, Scudda Hay also. I find often when imdB nixes a movie, it's this type of light romantic comedy or romantic musical. It's as if imdB thinks every movie should carry and deliver some sort of message of right or wrong, good or evil, or happy or sad, etc., as if it's wrong to just sit back and enjoy and laugh at a movie, which is, and always has been, my favorite kind of movie.

Also, great rehash of a darling lady. She was what I think of as a cute, cuddly little bundle of energy.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Look For The Silver Lining (1949)

Biopic of Marilyn Miller (June Haver) and her rise to stardom, beginning when she joined the family group, The Five Columbians. The film features ( Ray Bolger) as Jack Donohue , her mentor and frequent dance partner and (Gordon MacRae) as Frank Carter, her husband. This show was one of June`s best. It included parts from Marilyn`s top stage shows which also became movies.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Oh! You Beautiful Doll (1949)

In the early 1900s, song plugger Larry Kelly ( Mark Stevens)chances to meet Alfred Breitenbach, ( S.Z. Sakall) poor opera composer...and his lovely daughter Doris ( June Haver), who falls for Larry. Alfred has composed his opera and Doris conspires with Larry to turn her father's opera melodies into popular songs. Alfred, reluctant but needing cash, adopts the pen name Fred Fisher. Affluence results, but when Alfred realizes his opera is vanishing bit by bit, he wants to bring the career of "Fred Fisher" to a halt. Eventually he decides that all music is good. After a few rough patches Doris ends up with Larry.
Last edited by Fossy on March 6th, 2013, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That movie sounds tailor made for S.Z.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

JackFavell wrote:That movie sounds tailor made for S.Z.
He was a real character. He migrated to America in 1941 at the urging of his brother-in-law Joe Pasternak, who had been in America for some twenty years. His sisters were less fortunate, all three died in concentration camps. In his younger days he grew a beard to make himself look older.Hence his original name Szoke Szakall which , in English means Blonde Beard.

I have about twenty of his movies, and although his character is much the same in each of them, it is impossible to tire of him.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, there's not a role he played that I don't love. In fact, there are some movies I watch solely for him.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

The Daughter of Rosie O`Grady (1950) This movie is also part of my Debbie Reynolds collection.

Rosie O`Grady died sixteen years ago. Her Husband Dennis (James Barton) has raised their three daughters, Katie (Marcia Mae Jones) who has secretly married James Moore (Sean McClory), Patricia (June Haver), who has inherited her mother`s looks and talent, Maureen (Debbie Reynolds) is the youngest.

Patricia leaves home after a dispute with her father,goes to live with Miklos (S.Z.Sakall), and goes on the stage with Tony (Gordon MacRae) Dennis comes home from work one day as the doctor is leaving. The doctor informs Dennis that his daughter is having twins. Dennis is feeling sorry for himself and goes to a bar and gets drunk. He dances around the bar with the image of his late wife. (This part of the film brings me to tears every time).

Patricia goes touring with the show. Katie moves in with her husband. Maureen, who has also been turfed out moves in with Kate and Jim. Patricia gets word that her father is ill and goes to see him. Everyone else arrives and the room is filled with people and Christmas trees.
All ends well with Dennis going on the stage with Patricia, and Katie having not twins, but triplets.

According to “Dubbers” June`s songs were sung by Bonny Lou Williams, but according to IMDB they were sung by June.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

I`ll Get By (1950)

Bill (William Lundigan) is rushing to a radio studio when he bumps into sisters Liza (June Haver) and Terry Martin (Gloria DeHaven). A record he was carrying is broken and he is sacked. He starts his own business as a song publisher and takes in Freddy (Dennis Day) as a partner. He continually tricks the sisters singing his songs. He is about to propose to Liza when Freddy gives to Jeanne Crain a song Bill had promised to Liza.

Liza walks out, but Liza and Bill are reunited as Bill and Freddie are boarding a ship to go to war.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Love Nest (1951)

Jim (William Lundigan) has returned from ww2 and finds that his wife, Connie (June Haver) has bought a block of units. Jim is a writer, but he finds no time for writing because of difficulties with finance and the demanding tenants.
One of his old army buddies Bobbie (Marilyn Monroe) moves in. Connie is shocked to find that Bobbie is , not just a woman, but a beautiful woman.
Another tenant, Ed (Jack Parr) , decides that she is for him.

Charley, (Frank Fay) with a history of romancing and fleecing rich widows moves in. His Neighbour, Eadie (Leatrice Joy), decides that he is for her.

Jim and Connie look like losing their home because of a lack of funds, but Charley comes to the rescue with an $800.00 loan. Charley`s past catches up with him and he ends up in gaol. Jim is implicated because of the loan and goes to gaol with Charley.
Charley has received and offer for his life story, which he accepts providing the series is written by Jim.

Time passes, the home is no longer run down, Jim and Connie refuse yet another offer for their home. Charley and Eadie are married and now have twins.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

The Girl Next door (1953)—June`s last film.

Stage-and-night club star Jeannie Laird (June Haver) buys her first home, and everyone who is anyone comes to her first garden party only to be blinded by smoke from next door. Jeannie charges next door to bawl out her new neighbor and meets comic-strip artist Bill Carter (Dan Dailey). Bill has devoted himself to his strip, and raising his ten-year-old son Joe (Billy Gray) since the death of his wife. Joe bases his strip on the everyday happenings of he and his son and is proud of keeping it scrupulously honest. When Jeannie and Bill fall in love, young Joe is hurt, especially when Bill starts using a lot of the father-son time to be with Jeannie.
All`s well that ends well. Joe decides that Jeannie is not so bad after all and in the end helps Jeannie and Bill to be together.
June`s songs in this movie were dubbed by Beryl Davis. June had given her studio 12 months notice that she would be becoming a nun at the end of her contract, and she actually entered her convent three months before this film was released.

She stayed only eight months, leaving her convent in October 1953. She married widower Fred MacMurray in June 1954, and left movies to raise their family.