THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT

mrsl

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT

Post by mrsl »

First time in a few years that I spent New Year's Eve with TCM because usually they play a marathon of the Marx Brothers - ugh. This year however, all evening was spend with That's Entertainment, I, II, and III, followed by That's Dancing.

This is such a great collection of music and song, it should become an annual thing. One most important thing I took away was when seeing Fred and Gene dancing together, I fail to see how anyone can take their eyes off of Fred and waste their sight on Gene. Gene may be good as an accrobat, but when it comes to rhythmic dancing whether slow or fast, Fred is a total joy to behold, and it really stands out when they are on-screen together. Even if not together, if you see Gene and Cyd Charisse in the ballet portion of the end of Singin in the Rain, and Fred and Cyd in the park in Band Wagon, there is no comparison who had more grace and balance. There will never be another Fred Astaire but there have been and will be more Gene Kelly's, like Donald O'Connor, Dan Dailey, and Gene Nelson.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Vienna

Re: THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT

Post by Vienna »

Tough words. Fred Astaire has always been my favorite dancer but Gene Kelly is a master too. I just prefer Fred's style of dancing.