Musical numbers dancing - in general

mrsl

Musical numbers dancing - in general

Post by mrsl »

With all the discussions here and over on TCM, did anyone do any comparing today if you watched Singing in the Rain between Kelly and O'Connor? I couldn't help looking for differences, but saw none. Donald looked just as energetic and eager to please as Gene. The only real difference I saw was when they were dancing with Debbie in the Good Mornin' routine, that Donald kept looking at Debbie and smiling as if to give encouragement. Also earlier in the Roses/Noses routine, Donald seems to have a habit of looking at his partner, but Gene never returned the look. This is the lack that I've noticed in Gene Kelly's dancing. He doesn't seem to care about his partner. I've never been able to point my finger at what I sensed and this was finally evident to me.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
patful

Post by patful »

I changed the channel in frustration when DISH went out fifteen minutes into the movie. If I can't watch the whole thing straight through, I turn it off. Arg...
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Yes, Mrsl. Of course! I also don't see some of the genuine affection for others that might have helped warm up a dance routine or scene from time to time. I have enjoyed many of Gene Kelly's films and dance sequences, but I did notice that during the course of some routines, he doesn't generate the warmth that others seem to oft times naturally exude. But Gene was such a perfectionist from what I've read and heard that it might be folks were just eager to please.

He does seem to warm up to Cyd Charisse, but I personally think it's because she makes him look so good!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Johnm:

You are so 'right on' about Kelly. I, too watch Donald when the two are doing their duets or whatever you call them. I also agree the 'Gotta Dance' number was completely off the track, and added nothing to the film. If he had to use it, he should have saved it for Brigadoon in some kind of memory thing after he returned to New York.

Again as to Donald, his dance numbers in No Business Like Show Business are far more entertaining to me than anything Kelly does. I'm only sorry he didn't have any numbers with Dan Dailey - I think that would have been a real treat for fun and exhuberance.

Anne
Anne

Moraldo Rubini

Gone too far?

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I also agree the "Gotta Dance" number was completely off the track, and added nothing to the film.
Well, that's a little strong. I can allow "it adds nothing to the plot of the film", but "added nothing to the film"? It added the one of the greatest dance pairings ever, in the pas de deux of Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse. It's iconic! My life is so much richer for her smoke-breathing Louise Brooks' amazon, with legs stretched to Hollywood Boulevard. The sight of her would knock anyone's hat off. No, it doesn't move the plot along; but lordy, I'm so thankful for it.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moraldo:

Okay - Mr. MAN!!!

I'll rephrase that to adding to the plot! You sound like Mr. L when he waxed poetic about Ann Miller, even to the legs reaching the boulevard. That's how us ladies felt whenever Clint Walker took off his shirt to chop wood.

Anne
Anne

sugarpuss

Re: Gone too far?

Post by sugarpuss »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:
My life is so much richer for her smoke-breathing Louise Brooks' amazon, with legs stretched to Hollywood Boulevard. The sight of her would knock anyone's hat off. No, it doesn't move the plot along; but lordy, I'm so thankful for it.
My goodness, all you have to do is mention "Cyd Charisse" and all you men start foaming at the mouth! ;) But then, I shouldn't talk. There are certain reasons why The Prize and The Long Hot Summer are my favorite Paul Newman movies. Cough cough.

Anne, have you ever seen Call Me Madam with Ethel Merman and Donald O'Connor? He's paried with Vera-Ellen and their numbers, as well as his solo number, are just fantastic. They're beautiful together. I've never really cared for Fox Musicals, but that's one of the better ones. Plus, George Sanders sings!

I love Gene Kelly, although I love Fred Astaire more. I've always felt that An American in Paris was his best musical. He doesn't play this wonderfully sweet guy--I think he's a total jerk to Nina Foch's character, but the whole movie is sublime. The ballet blows me away everytime I see it.

I never get the feeling that women love dancing with him, but just watch a Fred movie. All his dancing partners look like their having the time of their life when they dance with him! Even in The Towering Inferno, Jennifer Jones looks thrilled to be paired with him and that was a disaster movie.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sugarpuss:

You have a wonderful way with a phrase!!

Yes, I've seen Call Me Madam, but it was so long ago, it's a very dim memory, I'll have to watch for it, but I do recall liking it.

An American in Paris - I don't like Kelly enough to sit through 2 hours of nearly 100% of him dancing, although I do click back and forth to try to catch the ballet.

As for dancing with Fred, I've said what you did many times. In addition to Fred showing off his partner more than himself, his partners always seem to be really enjoying themselves.

Anne
Anne

precoder

Re: Gone too far?

Post by precoder »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:My life is so much richer for her smoke-breathing Louise Brooks' amazon, with legs stretched to Hollywood Boulevard. The sight of her would knock anyone's hat off.
... Check out the white-hot fire-breathing Gwen Verdon explosion in "Damn Yankees" hip-punching the shoes off Tab Hunter ...
I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great. ~ Roddy McDowell
EleanorPowellFan

Gene Kelly

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

I have to agree with a few people here that Gene Kelly is as egotistical as ever, he really lacks, warmth and just basic etiquette while dancing with a partner which shows what he thinks of himself and other people.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, John, for the clip. This has become my 2nd favorite musical, after SITR. I was practically dancing with the clip just now! One of the best character actresses, for me, is Martita Hunt, who played the Duchess. When she kicks up her heels in this number, it just cracks me up.
Nancy