Alice Faye

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Hi melwalton and welcome. Thanks for the recommendation of On The Avenue. I've been toying with the idea of buying the Alice Faye boxed set--maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list. So many classic dvds out there that I would like to have!

You know, I think that Alice Faye may appeal to adults more than kids. There is something so mature and placid about her, even though she also has great sex appeal. I really gravitated towards the performers with big personalities when I was a kid--Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Gene Kelly. I was in my late 20's when I "discovered" Faye.

Sandy K
melwalton

Alice Faye

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Sandy. Nice to hear from you and thanks for the welcome.
I was just starting my teens (1933 or '34) when I saw Alice Faye in 'George White's Scandals' with Rudy Vallee and Jimmy Durante. It was her debut.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Wow! What a wonderful memory. I would love to have seen many of the classic musicals on the big screen. I love Jimmy Durante, too. I wonder if George White's Scandals has ever been shown on TCM or Fox movie channel...

Sandy K
melwalton

Alice Faye

Post by melwalton »

Sandy,/ John. Hi. I don't think White's 'Scandal' movies were shown on TCM. For a long time, Turner showed mostly MGM films. I, once , wrote them (they requested comments ) so I commented telling them to show less MGM which made inferior musicals to Paramount and, of course, they ignored my suggestion. I've tried to get some of Faye's movies but can't find out from the companies that sell movies; I did buy 'On the Avenue'. I can't find some I'd really love to see, 'Sing, Baby, Sing', 'Wake Up and Live'.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I'd like to see her 1930's films--all those crazy precodes. But they were Fox, weren't they, so I guess it's just another dream. Sigh.

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

And have you ever seen the "Polka Dot POlka" number from "The Gang's All Here?" Whoa.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
melwalton

Alice Faye

Post by melwalton »

Hi Traceky
You're right, Alice Faye worked almost exclusively for Fox but I know of one exception. 'Ev'ry Night At Eight' Paramount 1935, I don't think it was precode but wouldn't bet the farm. She, Frances Langford and Patsy Kelly played a singing trio on radio, I believe it was Langford's movie debut, she had sung with Dick Powell on 'Hollywood Hotel'. For me, it was worth watching for the songs. Langford sang 'Mood For Love' which was # 1 on Lucky Strike's 'Hit Parade' for a couple of weeks, and 'Never Been Blue', Faye sang 'Speaking Confidentially' and 'Take It Easy'. The film was on TV a long time ago. I don't know where one can get a copy. mel
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi everybody,

I'm not at all familiar with Alice Faye but the name sparked something in my memory. Wasn't she the star that Archie Bunker of "All In the Family" was so enamored of? I seem to remember him referring to her and singing some of the songs that apparently, she was known for. Please tell me that I'm not rapidly entering senility any sooner than I have to!

As always,

Hollis
melwalton

Alice Faye

Post by melwalton »

Hi Hollis, I don't recall that about Bunker but I do recall some of Fayes movie songs. probably, her best remembered is 'You'll Never Know'. A sentimental one from wartime. Faye had many 'hits' from her films and, at one time in the late 30s was, generally regarded as the best song plugger in the business, even topping Crosby and Powell. She sang mostly love songs which, of course, was the 'thing' at the time: 'When I'm With You', 'Goodnight, My Love', 'This Year's Kisses',
'Lull in My Life', 'You're a Sweetheart' Did Archie sing any of these?
Moraldo Rubini

The Memory doesn't Fayed Away

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Hollis wrote:I'm not at all familiar with Alice Faye but the name sparked something in my memory. Wasn't she the star that Archie Bunker of "All In the Family" was so enamored of? I seem to remember him referring to her and singing some of the songs that apparently, she was known for. Please tell me that I'm not rapidly entering senility any sooner than I have to!
Rest assured: you're not senile Hollis. Alice Faye was Archie Bunker's feminine ideal on All in the Family.
EleanorPowellFan

Alice Faye

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

I have a fairly large book about The Movie Stars of the Golden Years and in it is a nice little description of Alice.

"Alice Faye absolutely belongs to the 1930's. If the quintessential star of that period was one of those up-and-at-'em dames, Faye, better than anyone represents the other heroines, the gentle, yeilding ones. She was blonde, cuddly, shapely and kind-almost bovine. When men crossed her, she didn't start throwing things(as Betty Grable did later)but quietly left the room, her eyes welling with tears. She smiled alot. Men in particular adored her. She had a warm contralto voice and, invariably leaning against a pillar with palm-trees and a moon behind, she was given some remarkably fine songs to sing . She was no great shakes as an actress, but hers is the supreme example of an amiable temperament caught by the camera. She was/is always a pleasure to see and her position in the constellation can't be over-looked."
ken123

Re: Alice Faye

Post by ken123 »

In Fallen Angel she doesnt sing, but Linda Darnell does make men cry uncle ! d ;;