Essentials for a Snowy Day

moira finnie
Administrator

Essentials for a Snowy Day

Post by moira finnie »

Depending on where you live, you may be coping with everything from a little chill, rain, a gentle dusting of snow or a blizzard today. Just about everyone in our membership is contending with some sort of weather that encourages a day of power cocooning, (with the possible exception of Fernando and Fossy, who are experiencing summertime).

Assuming for the purposes of this thread that you have been granted a snow day, and would like to curl up with a movie on the electronic hearth, which ones would you choose for such a day?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Re: Essentials for a Snowy Day

Post by klondike »

The Milagro Beanfield War.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

For the moments that I want reaffirmation of my favorite films:

CITIZEN KANE
THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC
STARS IN MY CROWN

But if it's post-Christmas and I get to watch movies as of yet unseen:

CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
JOHNNY STOOL PIGEON
PICKUP
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I tend more toward televisual feasts. I'd dig into my complete series DVD collections of Dick Van Dyke, Arrested Development, and The Twilight Zone, as well as seasons of Frasier, The Simpsons, King of the Hill....

These days, I'd also be tempted to work some more on that 1001 list I'm still plugging through. Still so many classic films (especially foreign-language) to work in...

-S.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Persuasion; Heidi; Pride & Prejudice (Firth); Love, Actually; A Walk in the Clouds.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Jane Austen in any form is most satisfactory in this weather.

Tovarich and Midnight have been very comforting this week.

A Child's Christmas in Wales, with Denholm Elliott is marvelous and captures my need for warmth perfectly.

The first two seasons of All Creatures Great and Small are also warming and friendly when the temperatures fall.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'd go with "Out of the Past" for starters. Yes I know what's going to happen...

And?

Seeing the Doris Day-Rock Hudson trilogy would make me laugh, and fell all warm & toasty.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Living alone and not driving in snowy weather, I've had a lot of days like this, but for the next one coming up, probably next week according to the weather reporters, I plan on:

Around 9:30 a.m., I'd start off with Stars in my Crown to put myself in a good mood.

With a bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch at 11:30, when I've finished I would wrap up in an afghan and watch Fort Apache, my favorite Ford film, I think it's my fave because nearly everybody is in it.

For an afternoon break, around 1:45, I think Westward the Women would be a good 'get involved' flick.

With stew simmering for dinner in the slow cooker, around 4:00, it's time for a good love story with either Casablanca, or An Affair to Remember.

After dinner, around 7:00, it's time for some fantasizing with Mitchum at his very best in The Enemy Below, or Ben as a true co-star with the Duke in Chisum.

That's my perfect day, and with any disasters occurring with the DVD's, I could replace any one of the movies with Meet Me in St. Louis any time. But also, at this time of year, I will also be sure to see both Holiday Inn, and White Christmas at least twice during the season.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

At the moment, like srowley I would more likely be watching TV shows, but otherwise my line-up would be as ANTI-SNOW as imaginable, including:

To Catch a Thief
Summertime
Suddenly, Last Summer
Rear Window
A Place in the Sun
Bonjour, Tristesse
And God Created Woman
Roman Holiday
A Light in the Piazza
Three Coins in the Fountain
Hatari!
Legend of the Lost
Night of the Iguana
Mogambo
The Long Hot Summer
Pauline at the Beach

And what's that one with Robbie Ryan struggling to survive alone in the desert? You get the idea. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha! Some like it hot.....
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Down heah in the deep South, y'all, we don't get much snow -- we get rain. ;) In fact, it's gray and raining right now and I so wish I was at home on the couch sipping tea and petting Charlie the bulldog while watching an old movie. Where I work, we virtually never have snow days.

But for power cocooning at this time of year, I like watching Shop Around the Corner (James Stewart, Margaret Sullavan), Holiday Affair (Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh), Christmas in Connecticut (Dennis Morgan, Barbara Stanwyck) and Remember the Night (Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck again).

Or if I want to be seasonal but want heat, Three Godfathers will do. :)

My hubby and I like to watch together Miracle on 34th Street, The Santa Clause and Mrs. Santa Claus. :) (He's an Angela Lansbury fan... so am I!) :)
Last edited by pvitari on December 16th, 2010, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's funny. Paula, I just this moment saw a lovely preview for The Shop Around the Corner....
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's snowing here. Not much of it but it is slick.

"Scrooge" (1951) with Alistair Sim might be on today's schedule. Most any other snowy day may be met with my favorites - Laurel and Hardy (it is a good time for their short films), Marx Brothers or a good western to pass the time while Carolann naps.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

That's funny. Paula, I just this moment saw a lovely preview for The Shop Around the Corner....
Those vibrations are getting weirder every day.

Of course if I'm stuck in the office and can't watch The Shop Around the Corner, I can listen to She Loves Me -- the great Broadway musical adapted from the same material.

The one, the only, the magnificent Barbara Cook.

[youtube][/youtube]