Drew Barrymore is 2012 co-host for The Essentials

Lzcutter
Administrator

Drew Barrymore is 2012 co-host for The Essentials

Post by Lzcutter »

After three seasons of co-hosting The Essentials, Alec Baldwin steps aside and TCM announces that Drew Barrymore will be the next co-host.

Before any one throws bricks (and Lord knows over at TCM City, they are throwing not just bricks but entire walls), I would like to say in Drew's defense that she and Robert O displayed great chemistry when they intro'd Night Flight at this year's Film Festival. She seems to enjoy talking about her film relatives and she says she loves classic films and TCM.

If that chemistry translates through the camera (and I suspect it will), she could be surprisingly good.

Here's hoping.....
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

charliechaplinfan

Re: Drew Barrymore is 2012 co-host for The Essentials

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think she sounds a great choice, especially if she loves to talk of her family and appreciates her heritage. Let's hope no one knocks her until she's had a go at presenting.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on November 4th, 2011, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I was at that screening at the Festival and found Barrymore very charming and engaging. She and Robert O definitely had chemistry and I remembered being surprised that she liked old movies. I liked Alec Baldwin's stint on The Essentials. My sense is that decisions at TCM aren't made willy nilly. And I'm totally willing to give Barrymore a chance.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I am thrilled with the choice of Drew Barrymore as the next cohost of The Essentials. I find her to be very charming and thoughtful. I liked Alec Baldwin, too, but it's nice to change it up every few years.

Sandy K
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Drew Barrymore sounds like an inspired choice. Her pedigree might be enough, but having seen her interviewed in the past on occasion when she revealed an appreciation and knowledge about cinema's past as well as her family, I think she could bring a keen interest, freshness and enthusiasm to the post of The Essentials.

I hope that Alec Baldwin continues to pop up as a member of the TCM family, even though some people regard him as the kind of odd uncle who shows at Thanksgiving, I enjoy his droll comments and his clear respect for Robert Osborne and love of movies.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lzcutter wrote: Before any one throws bricks (and Lord knows over at TCM City, they are throwing not just bricks but entire walls), I would like to say in Drew's defense that she and Robert O displayed great chemistry when they intro'd Night Flight at this year's Film Festival. She seems to enjoy talking about her film relatives and she says she loves classic films and TCM.

If that chemistry translates through the camera (and I suspect it will), she could be surprisingly good.
I have been reading articles from various internet sources in the past three days and what I'm been reading (sum up) that Drew Barrymore would work wonderfully with Robert Osborne. For what Lzcutter said, that she and Robert O displayed great chemistry when they intro'd Night Flight at this year's Film Festival. ... what the general consensus that they would be great together! For what I understand, Robert Osborne is very excited about having her on board at Turner Classic Movies and being a fan of Barrymore's family line they would make a great team doing the Essentials at TCM.

Lzcutter, thanks for bringing this to our attention and I for one; is looking forward to it!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Last week I caught the premiere of the 2012 Essentials with Robert O and Drew introducing Grapes of Wrath. They both seem to have a bit of a crush on one another and seem to be having fun introducing films together.

Tonight, they talk about The Razor's Edge with Tyrone Power and Gene Tierney. I really loved that Drew admitted to not seeing RZ before and thanked Robert O for putting it on his list of films for the season as it made her watch it. I also love that she hesitates and doesn't always get her point across easily. Alec B was a master at getting the point across easily but I really appreciate that Drew doesn't.

We often forget that actually being in the studio and talking about a film with Robert O is not always the easiest thing to do (and as we are early in the tapings, she still seems a bit nervous and Robert O-struck which I think will abate in the weeks ahead) and requires a different skill set from making movies or television. (If my memory serves, Alec B was a bit Robert O-struck his first season as well). It's also very different from posting thoughts on a classic movie message board where you can think about what you want to post and then go back and edit it as many times as necessary to get the point across. I think this comes as a surprise much more to the denizens of TCM City than here so please realize I'm not chiding anyone here.

Take a look, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

They are very sweet together as she enjoys his depth of knowledge and you can see him warm to her insights. They are really delightful. I hope that Drew will be at the TCM Festival too.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I can't think of a more appropriate choice. You can just about bet they'll do a film that features her grandfather. I was going to log on to TCM City; decided to hang out with the harpies from JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS instead.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm thinking Drew Barrymore is doing a really fantastic job as co-host with Robert Osborne. She has a definite point of view and is just vivacious. What a great pairing the two of them make. :)

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I wonder if Drew Barrymore will be back for a second season as the co-host of The Essentials? I ask because I'm guessing that getting married, having a baby, and juggling a movie career in front and in back of the camera might just put a bit of a crimp in her extending her wonderful partnership with someone who clearly adores her--Robert Osborne. I've never seen him look so amused and delighted by her ebullience and insights. They are great together and it would be great if Drew could keep her warmth and spontaneous love of classic film on display for another season.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:I've never seen him look so amused and delighted by her ebullience and insights. They are great together and it would be great if Drew could keep her warmth and spontaneous love of classic film on display for another season.
It would be great loss to you, me, and every member of Silver Screen Oasis ... if Drew Barrymore is not back for another season!... I will be :( ... I find those two so wonderfully paired and what you have written in these two sentences above that I quoted from you ... is exactly how I feel about those two wonderful human beings that share their love for ... movies together!

Well said Moira!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]moirafinnie[/u] wrote:I wonder if Drew Barrymore will be back for a second season as the co-host of The Essentials? I ask because I'm guessing that getting married, having a baby, and juggling a movie career in front and in back of the camera might just put a bit of a crimp in her extending her wonderful partnership with someone who clearly adores her--Robert Osborne. I've never seen him look so amused and delighted by her ebullience and insights. They are great together and it would be great if Drew could keep her warmth and spontaneous love of classic film on display for another season.
Moira I'm hopeful that they can work in another season with her. But I see those obstacles. If not Drew, I'm hoping they pick someone with just as warm a personality and can speak intelligently about movies; and someone who can playfully kibbitz with Robert.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CineMaven wrote:
[u]moirafinnie[/u] wrote:I wonder if Drew Barrymore will be back for a second season as the co-host of The Essentials? I ask because I'm guessing that getting married, having a baby, and juggling a movie career in front and in back of the camera might just put a bit of a crimp in her extending her wonderful partnership with someone who clearly adores her--Robert Osborne. I've never seen him look so amused and delighted by her ebullience and insights. They are great together and it would be great if Drew could keep her warmth and spontaneous love of classic film on display for another season.
Moira I'm hopeful that they can work in another season with her. But I see those obstacles. If not Drew, I'm hoping they pick someone with just as warm a personality and can speak intelligently about movies; and someone who can playfully kibbitz with Robert.
Do you or anyone else have any thoughts on who you would choose to sit down opposite RO as host?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

I don't know who Maven has in mind for a co-host, but I would love to see her up there!