Borrowed Trouble 1948
Dangerous Venture 1947
False Colors 1943
The Devil's Playground 1945
Pirates on Horseback 1941

Date watched:8/21/2007
Title: False Colors Made: 1943
Genre: Western Studio: Harry Sherman Productions
Format: DVD Extras: 5 movies, Digital and audio enhancement.
# of times viewed: First

This is the fourth film on this disc that I've watched.

Stars:
William Boyd--Hopalong Cassidy
Andy Clyde--California Carlson
Jimmy Rogers--Jimmy Rogers
Douglass Dumbrille--Mark Foster
Tom Seidel--Bud Lawton/Kit Moyer
Claudia Drake--Faith Lawton
Robert Mitchum--Rip Austin
Glenn Strange--Sonora
Pierce Lyden--Lefty
Roy Barcroft--Sherrif

Tagline: Hoppy at his best!

Plot: Young Bud Lawton (Seidel) , who had been working for Hoppy (Boyd), is mugged and murdered. At first there is no apparent motive for the killing, but time reveals all. When Hoppy and his companions, California (Clyde) and Jimmy (Rogers), travel to the town of Diamond Hitch they think they are seeing a ghost as Bud Lawton appears to be alive and well. It is really Kit Moyer (also played by Seidel) who is a dead ringer for Bud and has been hired by the unscrupulous banker Mark Foster (Dumbrille). The real Bud had left his home at a very young age so that his sister has no recent memories of him. The fake Bud arrives in town just in time to claim his inheritance, his father's ranch which he has been left 2/3's interest in compared to his sister Faith's (Drake) 1/3. Foster assigned Moyer to accept the inheritance and then sell the ranch to him so that he can control the water rights, which in turn controls the town.

Faith does have her doubts about "Bud" when she tells Jimmy, "You know, I don't understand him. Bud doesn't seem like my own brother! Why, he's more like a stranger!"

Hoppy and company learn of the plot and try to help Faith from being swindled. Foster's men aren't going to make Hoppy's job easy as they will do anything to ensure their boss gets what he wants.

One of the highlights is a very early acting role by Robert Mitchum as the henchman Rip Austin. “Rip” gets his jaw clocked by Hoppy (or at least his stunt double) in a nice little bar brawl.

6* (out of 10) Hoppy's productions always seem a notch above most B westerns in quality. Nothing terribly original about this one but it moves along at a pleasant pace and Andy Clyde is humorous without being annoying. Jimmy Rogers is rather bland compared to Hoppy's more frequent companion, Rand Brooks playing Lucky Jenkins. The quality of these prints continues to impress, the picture is very crisp and the range of blacks is well-defined.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Blondie on a Budget Review #246

Post by cinemalover »

Blondie Volume 1 contains the following movies:
Blondie 1938
Blondie Meets the Boss 1939
Blondie Takes a Vacation 1939
Blondie Brings Up Baby 1939
Blondie on a Budget 1940

Date watched:8/22/2007
Title: Blondie On A Budget Made: 1940
Genre: Comedy Studio:Columbia
Format: DVD Extras: None
# of times viewed: 2

Cast:
Penny Singleton--Blondie Dagwood
Arthur Lake--Dagwood Bumstead
Larry Simms--Baby Dumpling
Danny Mummert--Alvin Fuddle
Daisy--Herself
Rita Hayworth--Joan Forrester
Don Beddoe--Marvin Williams
John Qualen--Ed Fuddle
Fay Helm--Mrs. Fuddle
Irving Bacon--Mailman
Thurston Hall--Brice
William Brisbane--Theatre Manager

Tagline: Balance your fun budget!

This is the fifth movie in the Blondie series.

The main draw in this episode is a young Rita Hayworth as Dagwood's ex-girlfriend Joan Forrester (as if!). The plot revolves around Dagwood desperately wanting to come up with the moola to join the Trout Club and Blondie's desire to get a new fur coat (coincidentally the cost is the same for each).

Dagwood wins money in a prize drawing at a movie theatre, but can't explain to Blondie why he was at the movie with Joan. He had promised her that he wouldn't spend any more time with Joan. Then Blondie spots Joan trying on a fur coat at the department store and assumes the worst. Joan was just trying on the coat to help Dagwood determine what size coat Blondie would wear so he can buy her one. Blondie's eyes flash green for danger and she doesn't wait for details or explanations. Poor Dagwood!

This is the rare entry that Dagwood's boss, J.C. Dithers was not in. Therefore, this is one of the few films where we don't get to see Dagwood fired.

A couple of Dagwoodisms from the film:

Dagwood (under Blondie's piercing glare), "I guess I'd better get cleaned up...or I won't be clean."

Dagwood to Daisy after Blondie has left him, "That's the trouble with you women, you don't want to hear the truth. I never got in trouble until I told the truth...you're all alike!"

7* (out of 10) As always, a wonderfully entertaining series with a perfect cast. There are no bad Blondies, some are just better than others!
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Go, Kill and Come Back Review #247

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:8/22/2007
Title: Go, Kill, and Come Back (aka Any Gun Can Play/Blood River/For a Few Bullets More/Vado...L'Ammazzo E Torno) Made: 1967
Genre: Spaghetti Western Studio: Fortune 5 DVD/Fida Cinematografica
Format: DVD Extras:FS Pan and Scan, Part of The Grindhouse Experience, a set of 5 DVDs with 20 movies of dubious quality, Dubbed.
# of times viewed: First

Ed (Kookie) Byrnes--Clayton (the Banker)
George Hilton--The Stanger (the Man with no name/Django, depending on which version of the film you see)
Gilbert Roland--Monetero (the Bandit)
Stefania Careddu--Marisol
Jose Torres--Bahunda
Ivano Staccioli--Captain
Gerard Herter--Lawrence Blackman
Ignazio Spalla--Pajondo
Adriana Giuffre--Conchetta
Valentino Macchi--Charro Ruiz

Taglines:
Fast guns finish first...or they're out, dead out!

Stalk them, smoke them out, shoot them to glory!

Plot: The film is an obvious rip-off of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, in character and structure. But that's not a bad thing. The Spaghetti Western flourished in the late 60's, and just like its American counterparts, success bred cloning. Playing the parts of the good, the bad and the ugly are the Banker (Clayton, played by Ed Byrnes of 77 Sunset Strip fame), the Bandit (Roland) and the Stranger (Hilton). The three find themselves in situations where, while pursuing a stash of gold they must work together, each with partial information about the location, and avoid the temptation of increasing their shares by eliminating their unwanted partners.

The bandit Monetero (Roland as a villain that would betray his grandmother for a profit) leads his men to rob a shipment of $300,000 in gold that is heavily guarded on a train. Clayton is the banker overseeing the transfer of the gold. Monetero's men are successful in capturing the gold but must separate to escape safely with the gold. One of the gang finds a hiding place for the gold with the intention of splitting it with the gang when the heat cools down. He puts a map to the location on the back of a medallion. When that gang member is killed the medallion gets broken and the two halves end up in different hands.

The Stranger is involved because he is a bounty hunter who has been tracking Monetero. He has had opportunities in the past to capture Monetero, but hasn't because he was watching the value on the wanted posters continue to rise with each new crime Monetero and his gang commit.

The trail leads these three in an uneasy alliance to the location of the gold, where they are met by the rest of Monetero's gang who realize that their leader is trying to cut them out of the payoff. Lead flies and the body count is high!

This is a nice, light hearted western with enough gimmicks to keep you interested if you're a western fan. If you are familiar with the Django movies you will appreciate our first look at the Stranger in the movie. He is driving a flatbed wagon into a small town. On the flat bed are three coffins. He meets three bandits who approach him and ask him who is in the coffins. He tells them three names, which just happen to be the names of the three bandits. They draw their six-shooters but the Stranger is faster (and the hero) and all three bandits eat dirt. The Stranger then opens the three coffins and in each one we see a wanted poster for each of the three bandits.

Hilton is adequate if not perfect as the Stranger. At times he is mimicking Eastwood's Man With No Name, at others he's copying the mannerisms of the Django character. Roland is perfect as the bandit leader with flexible loyalties. Ed Byrnes was presumably trying to follow the Clint Eastwood road to success by turning a supporting TV character career into international stardom via Spaghetti Westerns. It didn't work out quite as well for him, though he did have a steady, if unimpressive, string of roles.

6* (out of 10) The movie would probably be an 8 for me if I could see it in a restored WS version. The quality of this print is marginal and the pan and scan action is annoying, completely compromising the composition of many shots. Definitely worthwhile for you Spaghetti Western fans, but find a better quality print, if you can.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Well our family Friday night has to make another slight adjustment as Jeremy's fall soccer season started practicing this week. Friday we practice from 5:30-7 and then Jeremy and I have to get cleaned up before the family can go out to eat, so by the time we got home from dinner it was 9:45. This time, instead of watching movies (some weeks it has become especially challenging to find age appropriate movies that interested both kids) we watched the first couple of episodes of the Smallville TV series. We have the first season on DVD and it has been collecting dust for awhile, it needed some attention. I'm not going to get into episode reviews of this show at the moment, but I will give it a big thumbs up as family entertainment. It is set in high school as Clark Kent is just begining to develop his powers. The high school angle interests Tina (who's in high school), the action interests Jeremy and Karie and I enjoy the storylines. It was a nice change of pace from movie watching, and it's nice to only have to commit to it 42 minutes at a time (average length of episode).
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Howdy everyone,
Karie, Jeremy, Tina and I just got back from a wonderful sun-filled week in the beautiful San Juan Islands. No computers, no TVs, and barely any cell reception! What a marvelous change of pace. But now we're back in the Rat Race and ready to hibernate for the Labor Day Weekend. My movie fix is setting in and I'm in serious withdrawl. I need a movie tonight!
Chris

cinemalover

Woody Woodpecker Collection Volume I Review #248

Post by cinemalover »

Date finished watching:9/3/2007
Title: The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection Made: 1930-1956
Genre: Animated Shorts Studio: Universal
Format: DVD 3 Discs Extras: Walter, Woody and the World of Animation, Behind the Scenes With Walter Lantz, The Woody Woodpecker Show: Halloween Episode, Cartoonland Mysteries.
Number of times viewed: First

Guess Who?

It took me parts of three weeks to watch all of this three disc set that has a listed running time of 8 hours and 55 minutes. The set features 75 theatrical cartoons and is divided into the following toons:
Woody Woodpecker 45 shorts
Oswald the Lucky Rabbit 5 shorts
Cartune Classics 10 shorts
Andy Panda 5 shorts
Chilly Willy 5 shorts
Swing Symphonies 5 shorts

The cartoons are grouped chronologically on the discs, the first Woody toon is Knock Knock from 11/25/1940 and the most recent one is The Great Who-Dood-It from 10/20/1952. The oldest toon in the set is Oswald's Hell's Heels from 6/2/1930. All the toons are fun but some of the highlights include shorts directed by animation legend Tex Avery. Avery directs two of the Chilly Willy toons, I'm Cold (12/20/1954) which is set in Coldernell, Alaska, and The Legend of Rockabye Point (4/11/1955). Avery also directed two of the Cartune Classics, Crazy Mixed Up Pups (2/14/1955) and Sh-h-h-h (6/6/1955) which was the last theatrical cartoon directed by the great Avery.

9* (out of 10) Simply outstanding collection of vintage animated shorts, well packaged with relevant and entertaining extras. If you're an animation buff this is a must see!
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Heya cinemalover!

Great to see you here and a lot easier on the eyes for me. I'll be reading your movie escapades with a lot more relish over here.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Heya right back at ya', SPTO.
Welcome to the site. It is nice to be able to make the posts more visually attractive here, not to mention not having to deal with some of the negativity that plagues the other site. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here and see plenty of familiar posters. Love your avatar too!
Chris

cinemalover

Herbie Fully Loaded Review #249

Post by cinemalover »

Last Friday night we were just getting back from vacation in time to run to Jeremy's soccer practice, grab some subs and sit down to a family movie. The kids chose a Disney movie this time out...

Date watched:8/31/2007
Title: Herbie Fully Loaded Made: 2005
Genre: Comedy Studio: Disney
Format: DVD Extras: Bloopers, Deleted scenes, Featurettes, Commentary, Lindsay Lohan Music Video.
Number of times viewed: First

Stars:
Lindsay Lohan--Maggie Payton
Michael Keaton--Ray Payton Sr.
Breckin Meyer--Ray Payton Jr.
Matt Dillon--Trip Murphy
Justin Long--Kevin
Cheryl Hines--Sally
Jimmi Simpson--Crash
Jill Ritchie--Charisma
Thomas Lennon--Larry Murphy
Jeremy Roberts--Crazy Dave
E.E. Bell--Beeman

Taglines:
Start your engines...

He's back!

Plot: This is a sequel (not remake) of the Herbie the Love Bug movies that began with The Love Bug in 1968. Maggie Payton (Lohan) comes from a racing family as her father, Ray Payton Sr. (Keaton), runs a racing team that her brother, Ray Payton Jr. (Meyer), drives for. Maggie (who also dreams of being a professional driver) is the first in the family to graduate college, and her graduation present from her dad is to her choice of cars from the wrecking yard. With some helpful intervention from Herbie himself Maggie chooses the vintage Volkswagon as her ride.

Herbie takes control from the beginning, getting Maggie into all sorts of mischief. Herbie and Maggie beat pro-racer Trip Murphy (Dillon) in a challenge street race. Trip has a humongous ego that sends him to investigate how an old Beetle could possibly bet his state of the art sports car.

As with the original Love Bug movies only a few people understand that Herbie has a mind of his own, which leads to a variety of slapstick humor.

A decent family movie for indiscriminate tastes. Dillon is fun as the egomaniacal Trip Murphy who is blinded by his own reflection. Keaton is very subdued as Maggie's dad, but it's appropriate for the part.

Jeremy meter 7* (out of 10) Lots of giggles with the Love Bug's comic antics.

Tina teen-meter 7* (out of 10) As a FORMER Lohan fan Tina could still enjoy the silliness of the script.

Karie's beautiful-new-bride-meter 7* (out of 10) Karie always enjoys films that are geared towards family watching, a genre that is always challenging to find.

4* (out of 10) Sorry to be the spoilsport, but Lohan drives me nuts. She couldn't act her way out of a rehab center...oh wait, she already did that. Fortunately, Lindsay is just window dressing for the star, Herbie. I really enjoyed the original Love Bug, and this is a pale imitation. You, Lindsay Lohan, are no Dean Jones!
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Thanks for the information on the Woody Woodpecker DVD.

I remember the old Woody woodpecker show, which was introduced by Walter Lantz. The only exposure my kids have had to Woody has been via Abbott and Costello VHS tapes. Universal would stick a few vintage coming attractions, a travel short and a Woody cartoon before the main feature. It made for a fun evening.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I was always rather indifferent to Woody cartoons, but I saw them only on TV (and in black and white) for many years. The first time I saw one in a theater, I was amazed: it was wonderful - the frantic nature fit much better on a big screen than on a small one at home, and the colors were beautiful - bright, saturated and imaginative. It remains true: classic films were meant for the big screen, and look a thousand times better that way.

Chris, I hope that since your kids are willing to watch classic films, they will have the opportunity to see them in a theater once in a while. It will bring a whole new perspective to their appreciation.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Mike,
This is a nice set, very reasonably priced ($29.99 on sale). And you get 25 toons per disc which is a lot more than most sets (for example, Warners usually puts 14 cartoons on a disc). The quality was very good and the color was great. The kids enjoyed it and they weren't very familiar with Woody at all.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Judith,
I grew up loving seeing movies in theatres but rarely venture there any more. I've had too many negative experiences with rude patrons that talk loudly through the movie or take phone calls, etc...

Up until last year I would always take the kids to the drive-in, not for the quality of presentation but just as an adventure. Eating dinner in the car on a hot summer night while trying to stay awake for a double feature is a wonderful experience. We never went this year (it is still open, but every year there are rumors that this will be the last one). I am spoiled by having a medium sized HD TV set which makes movies look (and sound) very impressive. But you're right, nothing could replace a quality theatre presentation in the company of patrons who appreciate what they're watching. The bottom line is, any time I can get my 15 year old daughter to sit down and enjoy a movie with me I am a very happy dude.
Chris

feaito

Post by feaito »

cinemalover wrote: I've had too many negative experiences with rude patrons that talk loudly through the movie or take phone calls, etc...
The same here in Santiago, especially in these "multiplex" cinema complexs. It's not what it used to be when I was kid... I'm pretty sure though, that patrons at the Art Cinema showings (which are scarce) behave diffrently, but that only comprehends a very specific kind of film :cry: .
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

feaito,
I'm sorry to hear that movie rudeness is not limited to these shores.

One of the greatest movie going experiences I ever had came about 15 years ago. As a Christmas present I received a pair of tickets to a series of silent movies that were accompanied live by the Seattle Symphony. The films included 1922's Robin Hood (I had never seen it and was amazed by) and Broken Blossoms. I think there were four films total in the series. Half the audience arrived in formal attire and you could hear a pin drop as the film began. An incredible experience that I would love to go through again.
Chris