cinemalover: Confessions of a Video Junkie

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It's been my experience that patrons of the art houses generally (but not always) behave better than those who attend general appeal films. When I go to my local theater, which is not very often because it's not all that "local," I try to go to the earliest show, or at dinner time, when there is less of an audience. Otherwise, I agree it can be a very unpleasant experience these days.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

regarding movie going experience:

I generally go to 3-5 movies a year (sometimes more sometimes less) I've only had one really bad experience and it wasn't all through the movie. I went to Spider-Man 3 and for the first third of the movie a baby was crying. I don't know why a family would bring a little baby to a movie like that but eh. I tend to go to the movies when the movie has been out for a while but on occasion I go on the first week (Transformers) and still there were no bad experiences.

I guess Canadians are better behaved :D

As for Herbie: Fully Loaded I wouldn't exactly call it a sequel. It's more of a re-imagining of the original films. I thought it was a pretty fun and decent family movie with some good laughs. Lindsay Lohan wasn't as annoying in it as she is in real life.

BTW little known fact: Disney execs didn't like the idea of Lohan's cleavage/breasts peeking out so they had her breasts taped down.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Anybody else out there have opinions or experiences in theatres lately that have been overly positive or negative? This would probably be an interesting thread all by itself.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I find that my cinema experience depends on the time of day or night, and the type of film being shown. A family film at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Saturday--yep, there will be lots of kids there, munching snacks, getting up an down, etc.

The thing that bugs me the most is when adults bring small children to a film that is obviously meant for adults. Just because it's a super-hero movie, doesn't mean it is appropriate or interesting to a 3 year old. I was surprised at the amount of small children that were at the showing of the most recent Pirates of the Caribbean film. Do they even understand what is going on? (For that matter, did I even understand half of what was going on in that film?) The kids get BORED and they act up.

Overall, though, my movie theatre experiences are fairly positive. Maybe there are just really nice people in my neck of the woods! :) Or maybe I can just let it go more easily--I find that my husband gets waaaay more bent out of shape about cell phones, talking kids, etc., than I do.

Sandy K

Sandy K
cinemalover

Broken Lance Review #250

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:9/2/2007
Title: Broken Lance Made: 1954
Genre: Western Studio: 20th Century Fox
Format: DVD Extras: FS and Anamorphic WS.
Number of times viewed: 3

Director: Edward Dmytryk

Stars:
Spencer Tracy--Matt Devereaux
Robert Wagner--Joe Devereaux
Jean Peters--Barbara
Richard Widmark--Ben Devereaux
Katy Jurado--Senora Devereaux
E.G. Marshall--Governor Horace
Eduard Frans--Two Moons
Hugh O'Brian--Mike Devereaux
Earl Holliman--Denny Devereaux
Carl Benton Reid--Clem Lawton
Phillip Ober--Van Cleve
Robert Burton--Mac Andrews

Tagline: Fury of the West's Most Lawless Feud!

Plot: Matt Devereaux (Tracy) is an ironfisted, wealthy rancher. He runs his ranch like a tyrant, treating his four sons, Ben (Widmark), Mike (O'Brian), Denny (Holliman) and his youngest and only child from his second wife, Joe (Wagner), like hired hands. They all resent him except Joe. The other brothers resent Joe for reasons that Ben sums up to Joe, "You're his (their father's) little pet. You always were!"

Part of this tension is caused by Joe's mother, Senora Devereaux (Jurado) who is an Indian. Many of the locals resent the fact that Matt married an Indian. Since Joe is half Indian he suffers from some of the same racism. Joe and Barbara (Peters) are attracted to each other but Barbara's father won't allow her to see a half breed.

Barbara to Joe, "They said in town that you turned out to be the smartest of the lot (of brothers)."
Joe, "What else did they say?"
Barbara, "Oh, that you inherited all his (father's) charm. But I don't see it."
Joe (moving closer), "Look closer." (kisses her)

The tension is taken to a new level when Matt discovers his cattle dying due to a polluted stream. The source of the pollution is a copper smelting plant up the hill. Matt rounds up his sons and heads for a confrontation. When the confrontation results in injured men and the smelting plant being burnt to the ground the copper company sues Matt.

When it becomes obvious that Matt can't win the case his lawyer suggests that he cuts a deal. The agreement includes Joe taking responsibility for the damages and being sentenced to three years in jail. After serving his sentence Joe returns home to find a very different landscape. While Joe was imprisoned Matt died of a heart attack, due mainly to the stress caused by his other sons, led by Ben, who now control the ranch. The brothers still resent Joe and don't want him hanging around causing them problems. They offer to buy him off with $10,000 if he'll move out west. They aren't pleased with Joe's reaction.

Mike, "He'll cool down...and when he does he'll make the deal. He's too smart not to. Ain't that right, Ben?"
Ben, "I don't know, but anybody that throws $10,000 in a spitoon makes me nervous!"

Joe sticks around to renew his relationship with Barbara and settle the score for his father.

7* (out of 10) GREAT cast and interesting story. Wagner is perfect as the disenfranchised son and Widmark knows how to play the two-faced sibling. The story is told mostly in flashback and is never boring. A very good film that missed the opportunity to be incredible given the cast it had to work with.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 8th, 2008, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Just to finish up on the theatre talk:

I always go for the 7 or 7:30 PM showing. Never earlier and never later and always on a tuesday. Sometimes it'll be closer to the weekend but Tuesdays is discount night.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Most unusual movie going experience I had lately was when I saw the German film "Downfall." The theater was full, about 120 people, most of them college students. They did not fuss or fool around but sat watching the screen and left the theater in utter silence. Nobody started talking until out in the parking lot. (This was a regular movie theater, but college students had a discount for that night.) I can't remember a recent movie that had such an effect on its audience.

Usually, I find movie audiences utterly passive. The movie will go out of frame, and people will just sit there like bumps. I have to get up, walk down to the popcorn stand and say "the movie on screen 7 is out of frame" which electrifies the cinema people who are just standing there and talking, and someone runs off to fix the problem.

Once, after I did this and returned to "Treasure Planet," a woman said to me; "If you hadn't gone, I would have gone." I wasn't that impressed.
cinemalover

Wild Wild West Review #251

Post by cinemalover »

I really enjoy hearing about everyone's movie going experience. Since I have kids when I do go it's usually on the weekends, which is the worst time to go if you actually want to pay attention to the movie and not the audience. Keep those stories coming...please!

And now back to my regularly scheduled programming...my favorite TV western:

Date watched: 9/5/2007
Title: The Wild Wild West TV Show Made: 1966-67
Genre: Western/Spy Studio: CBS-Paramount
Format: DVD Extras-This is the complete Series 2--28 episodes
Number of times viewed: 5

Season 2 Episode 17 Original Air Date: 1/6/1967
The Night of the Tottering Tontine

Stars:
Robert Conrad--James "Jim" West
Ross Martin--Artemus "Arte" Gordon
Guest stars:
Harry Townes--Dr. Raven
Robert Emhardt--Grevely
Steve Gravers--Stimson
Michael Road--Dexter
Henry Darrow--Maurice
Arthur Space--Applegate
Lisa Pera--Amelia
Willliam Wintersole--Baring
Wilhelm Von Homburg--Pearse

Plot: A group of very wealthy investors had banded together to create the Tontine (an investment arrangement and contract). The only thing they miscalculated was that they set the group up so that in the event of any of their deaths the survivors split all profits. Someone has decided to increase their share by killing off members of the group. Since these are very well-known and wealthy men (and one woman) Jim and Arte are assigned to protect Dr. Raven (Townes) from becoming one of the plots victims.

As Dr. Raven, accompanied by Jim and Arte, travels to the Grevely (Emhardt) Mansion to meet with the other investors, they meet Stimson (Gravers) in a bar. Stimson is also an investor who likes to show off his six-gun prowess by shooting bottles off the bar. When he draws his second gun and fires it has been rigged to shoot backwards, killing him.

Jim accesses the situation, "Stimson down. Six corpses (investors) to go!"

When they arrive at the Grevely Mansion, which is positioned on a cliff surrounded by a 1200 foot drop, Arte is not with them. Dr. Raven impatiently wonders where he is. Arte arrives in disguise with the excuse, "Sorry I'm late, mustache trouble!"

Inside the mansion are the six investors, Jim, Arte and Amelia's (Pera) bodyguard, prizefighter Baring (Wintersole) congregate. Almost immediately they find that the exit from the mansion is inactive and they are all trapped within the home, setting up the perfect old dark house scenario. Thunder and lightning (absent upon Jim and Arte's arrival) puts on a show outside the windows. Another member dies before the group's eyes and they all begin to worry.

Grevely (in a frenzy), "I no longer want to have a meeting in my house. I move we adjourn right now!"

Everyone retires to their assigned rooms (old dark house cliché #254). Jim snoops around the basement to find clues to the killer. He is assaulted by three men in black hounds and knocked out. He awakes to find himself tied to a rocket sled on tracks aimed to launch over the cliff. Of course, after the bad guys light the rockets they leave the room assuming Jim will be launched into oblivion. Bad guy boo-boo #1.

The story includes trap doors, red herrings, death traps, narrow escapes, disguises and cliché plot devices. How fun! There is never a dull moment and the show continuously provides an adrenaline rush. (I had just been reading an article that said Robert Conrad busted the seams on the back of his skin-tight britches often during filming of the fight scenes). Another colorful episode with gimmicks and guile. Bravo!

9* (out of 10) For the series!
9* (out of 10) For this episode. Yes, I am very biased, but this is one of the most entertaining series ever made!

Boy, it sure is nice to post on a site where you don't have to try 5-6 times just to login!
Last edited by cinemalover on May 16th, 2008, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Flicka Review #252

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:9/7/2007
Title: Flicka Made: 2006
Genre: Drama Studio: 20th Century Fox
Format: DVD Extras: Commentary, Deleted scenes, Bloopers, Music video.
Number of times viewed: First

Stars:
Alison Lohman--Katy McLaughlin
Tim McGraw--Rob McLaughlin
Maria Bello--Nell McLaughlin
Ryan Kwanten--Howard McLaughlin
Danny Pino--Jack
Dallas Roberts--Gus
Kaylee DeFer--Miranda Koop
Nick Searcy--Norbert Rye

Tagline: The biggest dreams take the most courage.

Plot: During one hot Wyoming summer a young, headstrong woman, Katy McLaughlin (Lohman), returns to the family ranch on break from an exclusive boarding school. Katy is getting sub-par grades at school because she just doesn't care, all she wants to do is work on the family ranch. This causes a lot of tension between her and her father Rob (McGraw), who wants her to better herself and get a good education. Katy's brother, Howard (Kwanton), has just the opposite problem, he works the ranch because he feels he has to, but he longs to go off to college to create a life for himself.

Katy becomes infatuated with the idea of taming and raising a wild mustang horse (Flicka), but her father insists that the family ranch is no place for busting mustangs. Katy circumvents her father's wishes and enters a competition disguised as a man. The whole event ends up a disaster as Katy runs away on Flicka into the mountains. Once there she and Flicka are caught in a storm and attacked by a mountain lion.

Incredibly beautiful cinematography and scenery. Lovely shots of herds of horses galloping through the green hills. A tear-jerker that you will either identify with immediately and it will take you for an enjoyable emotional ride...or not. Three out of four of us found this to be an excellent movie.

Jeremy meter 9* (out of 10) I was pleasantly surprised at how much Jeremy enjoyed it. He had just spent some time around horses for the first time ever the previous week and loved the experience, so it was perfect timing to see the film.

Tina 8* (out of 10) Tina also loves horses and truly enjoyed the film. While the movie was playing I have rarely seen both kids so quiet (i.e. spellbound by the movie).

Karie meter 8* (out of 10) Karie is the only one of us who had seen the movie before and it's right in her wheelhouse. She loves a good heartwarming story and this hit all the right notes for her.

4* (out of 10) I'm so happy that everyone else loved this movie. Unfortunately, I can't say the same. It left me rather cold and it felt overly manipulative. I now, I know, I'm a real scrooge, but I've just seen this film done much better. Tim McGraw can sure sing, but he's merely adequate as an actor.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 16th, 2008, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The Bounty Man Review #253

Post by cinemalover »

Here's another film from the bizarre selections that comprise "The Grindhouse Experience". This is basically an excuse to toss a bunch of public domain or very inexpensive films into a 5 disc collection and capitalize on the current facination with "Grindhouse" cinema spearheaded by QuentinTarantino.

Date watched:9/9/2007
Title: The Bounty Man Made: 1972
Genre: Western Studio: TV Movie from ABC Circle Films
Format: DVD Extras: Part of The Grindhouse Experience, a set of 5 DVDs with 20 movies of dubious quality, Dubbed.

Stars:
Clint (Cheyenne) Walker--Kinkaid
Richard (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) Basehart--Angus Keough
John Ericson--Billy Riddle
Margot Kidder--Mae
Gene Evans--Tom Brady
Arthur Hunnicut--Sheriff
Rex Holman--Driskill
Wayne Sutherlin--Tully
Paul Harper--Harguss
Dennis Cross--Rufus

Tagline: Please don't change the channel!

This film is somewhat of a cheat to include in the set of "Grindhouse" movies since it was a TV movie and not a theatrical film. However, it's a nice inclusion because it is a decent quality movie with likable stars and comes from that timeframe of TV movies that are very hard to find on DVD these days. The print quality is not perfect but it's very watchable (the night scenes are a tad too dark).

Plot: Kinkaid (Walker) is a no-nonsense bounty hunter with a very high success rate. Actions speak louder than words, and he's not much for words. He targets the $5,000 reward posted on the dangerous outlaw, Billy Riddle (Ericson). A rival bounty hunter and all-around scumbag, Angus Keough (Basehart in full ham on rye mode), also wants the reward money from Riddle for himself and his two helpers. Angus decides that his gang will follow Kinkaid, allowing him to do all the dangerous work of tracking and capturing Riddle, then swooping in and taking Riddle for themselves.

Once Kinkaid finds Riddle's hideout the tables get turned on him as Riddle's gang far outnumbers him. Rivals Kinkaid and Angus are forced to band together to survive against the Riddle gang.

If you know Walker from his Cheyenne series than you know he is a larger than life (small) screen presence thanks to his generous stature. He looks like he was born to play cowpokes (or circus strongmen, but that's another conversation).

Slight tracking issues and a couple of quick frame flips betray the source of this print to be an old VHS tape. Minor visual disruptions at the beginning which soon disappear and don't distract too much from the enjoyment of the movie.

5* (out of 10) A nice discovery from a time when TV movies were king. I have a definite weakness for westerns and Clint Walker makes this worthwhile and at a brisk 72 minutes the movie zips by.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 16th, 2008, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The Devil's Playground Review #254

Post by cinemalover »

Hopalong Cassidy Volume 2
Echo Bridge Home Entertainment

Borrowed Trouble 1948
Dangerous Venture 1947
False Colors 1943
The Devil's Playground 1945
Pirates on Horseback 1941

Date watched:9/10/2007
Title: The Devil's Playground Made: 1945
Genre: Western Studio: Hopalong Cassidy Productions
Format: DVD Extras: 5 movies, Digital and audio enhancement.

This is the fifth and final film on this disc that I've watched.

Stars:
William Boyd--Hopalong Cassidy
Andy Clyde--California Carlson
Rand Brooks--Lucky Jenkins
Elaine Riley--Lucy Evans
Robert Elliott--Judge Morton
Joseph J. Greene--Sherrif Porky
Francis McDonald--Roberts
Ned Young--Curly Evans
Earle Hodgins--Deputy Daniel
George Eldredge--U.S. Marshal
Everett Shields--Wolfe
John George--Shorty

Plot: Hoppy (Boyd), California (Clyde) and Lucky (Brooks) find Lucy Evans (Riley) after she has been shot in the arm by unknown assailants. She is reluctant to receive their assistance and doesn't seem to trust them. After bandaging her wound they let her go on her way.

When Hoppy and company reach town they find Judge Morton (Elliott) who claims to be searching for his missing daughter, named Lucy. It is revealed that Lucy is looking for a stash of stolen gold that she wants to return to its rightful owner. She suspects everyone that she encounters is trying to beat her to the gold to claim it for themselves. Judge Morton is in fact not her father, he is just fronting for a gang that is tracking Lucy to get the gold. They will go to any lengths, up to and including murder, to accomplish their goal.

Hoppy deciphers the truth and attempts to help Lucy with her mission (returning the gold will help clear someone who was falsely accused of stealing it). Hoppy, Lucy, California and Lucky find themselves trapped by the hoodlums and are under heavy fire in a disadvantageous position. How will the man in black save them this time?

Another print that is in outstanding condition. The fact that you get five Hoppy films on one disc for about $5 retail is an incredible buy for any western fan. Growing up I didn't have a ton of exposure to Hoppy and his films but my appreciation for his films is quickly growing. Andy Clyde adds a nice light comedic touch without wearing out his welcome and Robert Elliott is appropriately slimey as the crooked judge.

6* (out of 10) An entertaining oater that looks outstanding for its age and budget.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 16th, 2008, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Good morning everyone,
Late night at soccer practice last night so we were all too tired for a family movie. Today is Jeremy's first soccer game of the fall season and hopefully he will come home happy. We bumped him up to a higher classification so he and his teammates will have a much more challenging season this year.
Happy movies everyone!
Chris

cinemalover

The Guardian Review #255

Post by cinemalover »

Karie and I had a chance to sit down and watch a recent release the other night. We haven't been watching as many movies lately because she's become hooked on Smallville, and I don't mind watching it with her. We've gone through the entire first season and are perusing season number two now.

Date watched:9/13/2007
Title: The Guardian Made: 2006
Genre: Drama Studio: Touchstone/Beacon Pictures
Format: DVD Extras: Deleted scenes, Featurettes, Commentary

Stars:
Kevin Costner--Ben Randall
Ashton Kutcher--Jake Fischer
Sela Ward--Helen Randall
Melissa Sagemiller--Emily Thomas
Clancy Brown--Captain William Hadley
Omari Hardwick--Carl Billings
Alex Daniels--Wild Bill
Daniel J. Molthen--Pilot Wakefield
Andrew Schanno--Pilot Mitchell
Adam Pena--Benjamin Reyes
Joe Arquette--Pilot Antunez

Taglines:
When lives are on the line, sacrifice everything.

How do you decide who lives or who dies?

Risk everything!

This plays like a recruiting film for the coast guard much as Top Gun was for naval pilots in 1986. Legendary Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer Ben Randall (Costner) is getting older, in fact few can do his job at his age. His motto of sacrificing everything to save lives has also sacrificed his marriage as his wife Helen (Ward) is leaving him since he's never there for her. Then he gets injured on a rescue mission (and his partner dies in the same rescue attempt) which forces his superiors to evaluate the possibility of putting him out to pasture. They reach a compromise with Ben and reassign him to teach at the Coast Guard "A" School, training raw recruits to become future rescue swimmers. Ben has been told that when he has completely recovered from his injuries that they will consider reinstating him as a swimmer.

Ben's life is a mess at this point as his friend Maggie points out to him, "Your wife left you, your best friend died. Your life sounds like a country song. If you had a dog it would have been run over by now!"

One of the recruits that is in Ben's class is Jake Fischer (Kutcher, looking cute as a kitten), a state champion high school swimmer who has issues of his own. Among other things, his ego is large enough that it barely fits in the pool. The young stud and the old mariner clash, as would be expected, as Ben tries to teach Jake that rescue swimming is about sacrifice and teamwork, not setting individual records. We then go through the standard trials and tribulations of bonding and stress as the class struggles to meet Ben's high standards. A breakthrough with Jake's mindset finally occurs when he gets in a fight in a Navy bar to defend one of his fellow swimmers. Of course, everything has its price.

Ben implies that Jake is going to be thrown out of the program.
Jake, "You're going to kick me out for defending the Coast Guard?"
Ben, "The Coast Guard has been around for 200 years. I doubt a couple of knuckle heads like you are going to defend it!"

Ben continues to be obsessed by individual numbers as he talks to Ben.
Jake, "What's your number (of lives saved)?"
Ben, "22"
Jake, "Well, that's not...bad, it's not 200, but..."
Ben, "22 is the number of people I've lost. It's the only number I keep track of."

As a bit of romance gets sprinkled into the mix while training it begins to play more like An Officer and a Gentleman. In the end the rookie is out on a rescue mission with his teacher and we get to see the make of the man.

Costner was less egocentric than usual, therefore fairly easy to take. Kuycher all too often looks like he's doing more posing than acting, but he gets the job dome with a smidgen of credibility. The CGI ocean scenes certainly look intimidating and there are times where you may want to take some Dramamine if you're watching it on a big screen.

Karie-meter 7* (out of 10) Entertaining if not spectacular. It kept her attention throughout. The special effects overshadow the actors at times.

7* (out of 10) I'm on the same page as Karie on this one. It's fun while it lasts and then pretty much forgettable. There is some genuine suspense built during the well-filmed rescue scenes. Give me more rescues and less bedroom drama!

Irrelevant week-end update: Jeremy and his Crossfire teammates had their first soccer game of the season on Saturday and were burned by the heat of the Inferno, falling 4-2. But Crossfire will be back with a vengeance nest week
Last edited by cinemalover on May 16th, 2008, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Three Tough Guys Review #256

Post by cinemalover »

Here's another title out of the Grindhouse Experience collection:

Date watched:9/12/2007
Title: (Three) Tough Guys Made: 1974
Genre: Action/Blaxploitation Studio: Columbia Films, S.A.
Format: DVD Extras: Part of The Grindhouse Experience, a set of 5 DVDs with 20 movies of dubious quality, Fullscreen.

Stars:
Lino Ventura--Father Charlie
Isaac Hayes--Lee
Fred Williamson--Joe Snake
Paula Kelly--Fay
William Berger--Captain Ryan
Vittorio Sanipoli--Mike Petalia
Lorella De Luca--Anne Lombardo
Jacques Herlin--Mike Petralia

Tagline: The Black Moses, the Hammer and the Preacher Man. They've got their own kind of mean game!

You've heard of Spaghetti Westerns, but have you ever heard of Pasta Blaxploitation? If the answer is no, than you're with the majority that included me before viewing this film. Trying to score on a fading Blaxploitation market the film throws familiar Blaxploitation faces Hayes and Williamson in with an otherwise all Italian cast, and the results aren't as bad as you may assume.

Father Charlie (Ventura) is a tough priest who teams up with ex-cop Lee (Hayes, who also wrote the score) to solve a million dollar bank robbery. Fred Williamson (former football star and Blaxploitation standard) gets a change of pace from his normal "kill da' man!" heroic roles to portray the villain and aptly named, Joe Snake. Just "Snake" to his friends and foes alike. He is able to act sufficiently mean to make the character despicable.

Ventura as Father Charlie has no qualms about resorting to violence to solve the crime and Mr. Hayes shows that he can do some acting, if so inclined, in his tough guy role. There is some decent action in an otherwise routine drama, where the morals of the good guys are on a par with those they are going against.

Released under the title Tough Guys as well as Three Tough Guys.

4* (out of 10) The score by Hayes includes the tune "Run Fay Run" which was used in Kill Bill I. I've seen far worse low-budget action flicks than this.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 16th, 2008, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The Cowboys Review #257

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:9/15/2007
Title: The Cowboys Made: 1972
Genre: Western Studio: WB
Format: DVD Extras: John Wayne trailers, Making of documentary.
Number of times viewed: 5

Stars:
John Wayne--Wil Anderson
Roscoe Lee Browne--Jebediah Nightlinger
Bruce Dern--Long Hair
Colleen Dewhurst--Mrs. Kate Collinwood
Alfred Barker Jr.--Clyde "Singing Fats" Potter
Robert Carradine--"Slim" Honeycutt
Nicolas Beauvy--Dan "Four Eyes"
Steve Benedict--Steve
Sean Kelly--"Stuttering Bob" Wilson
Slim Pickens--Anse Petersen

Rousing theme and score by John Williams

Taglines:
All they wanted was their chance to be men...and he gave it to them.

The youngest was 9. There wasn't one of them over 15. At first, he couldn't stand the sight of them. At last, he couldn't take his eyes away.

Plot: Wil Anderson (Wayne) is a ranch owner who regularly pushes his help to the limits. He has high expectations and hands out low pay. So he shouldn't have been so surprised when a rumor of a big gold strike leads to all his hands running of to try their fortune. The bad news for Wil is that it's time to drive his herd to market. He can't wait due to an upcoming season change and the fact that he has debts he must pay off. When his friend Anse (Pickens in a small but colorful support role) suggests that Wil wait until next year to pay off his debts Wil lets him know that he's not that type of man.

Anse sums up Wil's stubbornness, "If your neck were any stiffer, you couldn't even bend over to pull your boots on."

After exploring all options to find a new set of hired hands, including turning down the slimy Long Hair (Dern) and his pals because they lied about their work experience, Wil tries the local school. Turning down Long Hair will come back to bite him later as he doesn't take rejection well. Wil grudgingly accepts the services of a group of school boys, whose ages range from 9-15. The only adult he'll have on the cattle drive is the chuckwagon cook Jebediah Nightlinger (Roscoe Lee Browne, he of the incredible voice).

Jebediah's reaction to Wil upon meeting the crew, "Doesn't anything larger want to work for you?"

Wil is very tough on the boys as they train for the drive before setting out. Once on the trail the boys and Wil have a love/hate relationship. He loves to push them, and they hate him for it. Wil's favorite expression is, "We're burnin' daylight!" In other words, get your backsides up and working!

One of the boys makes an observation about Wil, "I never noticed before, but most of the people I know are quiet compared to Mr. Anderson."
Slim, "He's quiet...it just comes out loud!"

**Definite Spoiler Alert**

This is a coming of age tale on the open range as we see the boys mature under the tutelage of Wil and Jebediah. The boys make the ultimate growth spurt when Wil, who has by this time become a father figure to them, is killed by the creepy Long Hair. This movie received quite a bit of notoriety for having the hero John Wayne killed before the movie's climax. But it is a very effective decision and lends a lot of depth to the story. The boys are forced to step up and finish the trail drive without Wil, as the movie closes we know that they will be successful.

9* (out of 10) This movie has improved with age for me. When I first saw it I would have been about 12 and I very much identified with the boys. As a father now I very much identify with Wil and his need to depend on younger inexperienced help as well as raise children to have standards and goals. A very well-crafted story that is beautiful to watch and has an engaging score by John Williams. I love this movie. Dern was never more effective than with this snake-like character that seems to enjoy threatening children a little too much. At this point in his career Wayne seemed to become very comfortable playing characters closer to his own age, and I think it improved the depth of his characters. He's not a heroic cartoon, he's just a man trying to survive his environment.
Last edited by cinemalover on May 16th, 2008, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris