cinemalover: Confessions of a Video Junkie

Chit-chat, current events
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

It's been a while. Hope you're ok Chris.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I was thinking the same thing.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hello everyone,
Sorry that I've been M.I.A.

Karie just had surgery so I've been taking care of her. The fall soccer season is also in full swing and as the boys get older each season becomes a bigger time commitment to help them achieve new levels of skill. Life gets busy sometimes. I miss you all and I miss reading and writing about movies. For the time being I probably won't be able to be around much, but I'll return when I'm able. Nothing melodramatic, just a matter of reprioritizing certain matters.

Keep doing what you do, that's what makes this a special site with special participants.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, tell Karie we all wish her a speedy recovery. Being the caregiver and the coach and the businessman can really be taxing, so take good care of CHRIS, too!

Nancy :D
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My best wishes to Karie for a speedy recovery and a quick return for you.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

The one good thing about taking care of a temporarily incapacitated wife is that we have had a chance to burn through season 3 of one of our favorite TV shows in the last two weeks. That show is the fabulous House. This is a wonderfully written and acted show (no, I haven't seen any of season 4 which is out on DVD and which I've heard doesn't quite measure up to the first 3 seasons).

I love the sarcastic dialogue and the interplay of the characters on this show. Sometimes the medical symptoms get a bit graphic so it may not be for those with weak stomachs, but otherwise everything about this show is first class and riveting.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I loved "House" up until this past season. I just didn't like the whole teacher thing. I felt like I was watching the medical version of "The Apprentice." I guess I'll give it another chance.
Chris

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

A belated "I hope Karie is alright" from me.

As for House, it's not one of my favourite shows but Hugh Laurie is great. It's hard to believe that an Englishman is playing that character. I also like the portrayal of the character because he looks and talks a lot like one of the sports talk radio hosts here in Toronto. So I always refer to the show as "Bobcat's evil twin show".

The host is named Bob Mccown (pronounced Macowan) and he's actually a distant relative or Rory Calhoun which I found interesting.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi everybody,
Just dropping by to say a quick howdy. Karie had to spend last week in the hospital after a set-back, but is hopefully on the road to recovery once again. Most of my TV watching has been restricted to hospital TV channels while spending time with my beautiful bride. I did have an opportunity to watch Advise and Consent this week-end, a film I had not seen in ages. I don't have time to write a review (and probably won't be writing any in the forseeable future), but I really enjoyed it. An amazing cast thrown into the political arena with backstage backstabbing and compromise. Charles Laughton was mesmerizing as a Southern Senator stirring the pot to a slow boil and enjoying the results.
Last edited by cinemalover on September 22nd, 2008, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Chris, please give my best to Karie. I hope watching good movies is helping both of you to deal with your difficulties. (Give her lots of comedies to watch - they do wonders to bring us out of ourselves.)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Chris:

I missed the post about Katie being sick - take care of both of you and tell her she is on our minds as much as if she were the one who writes the reviews.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Judith and Anne,
Thanks for your kind thoughts. It seems that every time Karie takes a step towards recovery it is quickly followed by a step and a half in reverse. We've become way too familiar with the hospital lately. Hopefully things are finally moving forward in a positive direction.

I was able to watch The Set-Up this week. A nice, taut little semi-noir from 1949. Robert Ryan plays an over the hill boxer trying to hang on long enough to buy a cigar store and retire with his gal. It's told in a brisk 72 minutes and, as directed by Robert Wise, is a non-stop ride that captures the gloom and despair of penny ante boxing. Ryan's manager sets him up to take a dive but decides to pocket the money and not tell Ryan since he's sure he'll lose anyway. Ryan is a palooka who hasn't lost his pride even as his limited skills fade with age. In the final round when he learns of the fix he refuses to cooperate which ticks off the local mob. Trouble is sure to follow.

It had been ages since I'd seen this film and it completely absorbed my attention. The seemy underbelly of small time boxing has rarely been portrayed as vividly as this. Definitely a treat and even more enjoyable than I remembered it.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Chris:

So glad you stopped by even if it is a short stay. My regards to Katie for continued recovery. I hope you get back to us soon.

All the best
Me
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope all is well on the Oasis. Enjoy your families and take care!

Chris
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, just seeing your name on the boards again was enough to make me smile! Merry Christmas to you and your family! Hope you'll be around more in 2009.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard