cinemalover: Confessions of a Video Junkie

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

Frankenstein's Bloody Terror Review #109

Post by cinemalover »

I have a very large stack of obscure and semi-obscure foreign horror films. I need to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate these. Also, every time I look at that stack I think to myself, do I really want to watch it knowing that I'll have to 'fess up to watching it? Sometimes writing about the movies I watch can have an effect on my choices, though I try not to let it. I love variety, and that means the good with the bad. This one won't be winning any Oscars....

Date watched: 4/29/2007
Title: Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (originally: La Marca Del Hombre Lobo--The Mark of the Wolfman. Also released on video under at least 8 different English titles.) Made: 1968
Genre: Horror/Foreign Studio:Independaent International Pictures--DVD release: Shriek Show
Format: DVD Extras:English dub only (a decent dub job). No original language or subtitles. Anamorphic WS, Commentary, Art Gallery, TV and radio spots, Promo trailers.
# of times viewed: First in this more or less complete version. I have seen other cuts on VHS.

Stars:
Paul Naschy (Jacinto Molina)--Count Waldemar Daninsky
Manuel Manzaneque--Rudolph Weissmann
Dyanik Zurakowska--Countess Janice Von Aarenberg
Julian Ugarte--Dr. Janos Mikhelov
Rosanna Yanni--Nascha, gypsy girl

A film that was completely mis-named and marketed to cash in at U.S. drive-ins. There are vampires, there are werewolves, there is even a mad doctor, but there is no frankenstein, neither the man nor the monster, in sight. Some weak voice-over narration at the start that tries to tie the Daninsky family to the name Wolfenstein just further confuses the issue.The film comes from Spain and is the first horror film for Paul Naschy, who would go on to International fame as a horror star.

The movie starts with a wagon with a gypsy couple stopping by the Daninsky castle to get out of the weather. Earlier on the road they had met Count Waldemar Daninsky (Naschy) and he had told them they could stay there until the storm passed, while he was running errands. Once they arrive they have larceny in their heart as they scout the place for valuables to snatch. In the basement they find a tomb that they open (hey, who wouldn't?). The elegantly dressed body in the tomb has a large silver cross imbedded in his chest. The gypsy girl, Nacha (Yanni) pulls it from the body to take with her. As she is admiring the cross with her back to the tomb we see the body rise, but now it is a werewolf! All werewolves get hungry while dormant, so he has a little side dish of gypsy tartare. Yummy.

When the Count returns and finds the bodies he knows the family curse is out and about again. He must find and kill the werewolf to protect the locals and his family name, not necessarily in that order. In the process of tracking the werewolf he gets infected himself, and will now suffer the same fate. And then a vampire couple moves into the area. Coherent it's not, but it's never boring.

Waldemar Daninsky is a character that naschy would go on to play in several more movies, most of them better quality than his initial try. While primarily known only to horror fanatics in the U.S., Naschy has a huge cult following throughout Europe. If you are not familiar with his style of horror films this is not the best introduction. Some of the pieces are there, but it doesn't mesh together very well.

The picture quality is probably as good as it is going to get on this film, and much better than other versions I have seen. There is a lot of atmospheric lighting, with a tendancy towrds red highlights while the werewolf is prowling. In several scenes skin tones appear grey, I'm not sure if it was an intentional choice or poor lighting and film stock.

5* (out of 10) Interesting (to me, anyway) and atmospheric. It is a hodge podge of ideas that needed a much stronger director. As Naschy develops as an actor he takes control of more aspects of his films, usually to positive result. One complaint on my part, only the English dub version is on the disc. It doesn't have the original language with English subs as an option. Too bad. The dub job is not too bad, but I usually prefer to see films in their original language with subs.

It is similar to some of the lesser Hammer films in many ways, I'm sure they were a source of inspiration for this film.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Bat Masterson Review #110

Post by cinemalover »

I am trying to get caught up on the western television shows that I've been recording off of the Western Channel. I'm creeping up on the end of the Bat Masterson series and here are episodes #89-94. Only 14 more episodes to go to finish the run of this series.

Date watched: 4/30/2007
Title: Bat Masterson TV Show Made: 1958-62
Genre: Western Studio: Ziv
Format: DVD-R Source: Western Channel
# of times viewed: This is the first time I've seen these

Stars: Gene Barry and lots of familiar faces

#89 The Court Martial of Major Mars
Calvary Major Mars (John Anderson) is traveling through Crazy Creek on stage. Bat also happens to be a passenger. When the stage stops to refresh the horses everyone is taken captive by men looking for revenge against the Major. They accuse him of being a cruel butcher and that he ordered the slaughter of an Indian village at Auroro Blanco when only women and children were present. Bat finds himself in the middle of a make-shift trial.
Guest stars: John Duke, Glen Gordon, Dick Wilson.

#90 The Price of Paradise
Bat travels to paradise and the Pearly Gates saloon to collect a $6,000 I.O.U. from Mr. Hayes (Richard Arlen). While there Bat gets involved with a county line and tax assessment disagreement. Bat is assisted by the lovely Diane (Diane Cannon in a very early role), the town store-keeper. Diane wants Bat to get rid of Mr. Hayes and the corrupting influence that he's had on the town.
Guest stars: Lance Fuller, John Dennis.

#91 End of the Line
Bat is leading a crew putting down railroad tracks through a mountainous, rocky area. A landslide kills some of the workers and buries most of the digging equipment. Bat must negotiate with a dishonest soldier to rent army equipment to finish the job. And then it really gets complicated.
Guest stars: Liam Sullivan, Joe Sawyer, Thom Carvey.

#92 The Prescott Campaign
Marshal Ben Holt (John Dehner) writes his friend Bat to come help him avoid a troublesome situation in Prescot. Holt and General Guild are vying for control of the town. It seems that both parties are upholding their own brand of justice. Bat must decide who is deceiving him.
Guest stars: Philip Ober, Valerie Allen, Emory Parnell.

#93 Bull Whacker's Bounty
Bat must get two wagons full of military supplies to Fort Stewart. A gang of crooks has their hearts set on hijacking the wagons. Bat is not sure which side the men he hired as guards are working for.
Guest stars: Jack Lambert, Will Wright, Jan Shepard.

#94 A Lesson In Violence
Oren Dilks (Richard Eastham) is trying to scare Mrs. Grant (Virginia Gregg) and her boys off of their land. Their scare tactics included killing Mr. Grant. Dilks has hired Bat to drive 2,000 of his cattle to market, but he uses Bat's name to threaten Mrs. Grant. Bat doesn't like his name used in vain.
Guest stars: Allen Jaffe, Larry Darr, Jerry Catron.

6* (out of 10) For the series. Bat Masterson continues to be a light, entertaining western.
7* (out of 10) For The Price of Paradise. A better than average episode. It's nice to see Diane Cannon doing something other than cheering for the Lakers.

It is a fun series to watch and the prints that the Western Channel is using are in fine condition. Give the show a chance if you haven't, it's a nice vintage piece of television. Just try to get the theme song out of your head though, I dare ya.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Volcano Review #111

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched: 4/30/2007
Title: Volcano Made: 1997
Genre:Action Studio:20th Century Fox
Format: DVD Extras: Trailer, WS non-anamorphic
# of times viewed:First

Stars:
Tommy Lee Jones--Mike Roark
Anne Heche--Dr. Amy Barnes
Gaby Hoffman--Kelly Roark
Don Cheadle--Emmit Reese
Jacqueline Kim--Dr. Jaye Calder
Keith David--Police Lt. Ed Fox
John Corbett--Norman Calder
Michael Rispoli--Gator Harris

Tagline: The coast is toast!
Quote from Time on DVD box: You'll have a hell-lava time!

Mike Roark (Jones) works for Office of Emergency Management and is taking his first vacation in forever to spend time with his daughter Kelly (Hoffman). His daughter lives with her mother since the divorce so he doesn't get to spend much time with her. So, of course, all heck will break loose and cause him to head back into the office.

E.O.M. employee, "I thought he had the week off?'
Emmit (second in command after Roark, played by Cheadle), "Yeah, it's that mid-western work ethic thing!"

There is some unusual steam coming out of the drainage tunnels under Los Angeles. It is so hot that it scalds and kills workers who investigate. The tar at the La Brea tar pits is bubbling up and the temperature is rising. Soon we see lava in the streets of L.A. and a steady rain of ash. Mike Roark gets caught in the middle of the action with his daughter. The lava flow rises to the surface and is wiping out streets and buildings as it flows like a river. We have to add the attractive geologist, Dr. Amy Barnes (Heche) to give Mike some expertise on underground volcanoes. His daughter is burned and must go to Cedar Sanai hospital, where they are routing all the injured of L.A. Unfortunately, that seems to be where the lava is headed too. Can they stop the lava and route it to the ocean or will it burn L.A. to the ground?

There is one amusing scene when a man trying to rescue someone from a subway car has to jump from the car passed the lava flow. He doesn't quite make it and proceeds to do the wicked witch "I'm melting" routine. I always enjoy Tommy Lee Jones, even when he knows he's in a dog he acts his little heart out. Don Cheadle is good though mostly sits screaming at computer screens and is used for exposition. Anne Heche is not much of an actress, and had this part called for any true emoting I would have been rooting for the lava to get her.

The movie channels the spirit of Irwin Allen and all the disaster flicks of the 70's. Never waste the opportunity to use a cliché. Also, the CGI (circa 1997) is a bit rough if you're used to looking at CGI efforts from today. It's a popcorn action movie, and if you can accept it as such it's fun in its own way.

5* (out of 10) Don't think about it, just hop on one of the emergency vehicles and ignore the sirens.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Wild Wild West Review #112

Post by cinemalover »

Here is the latest adventure of Mr. West and Mr. Gordon. Have I mentioned that I really like this show?

Date watched: 5/1/2007
Title: The Wild Wild West TV Show Made: 1966-67
Genre: Western/Spy Studio: CBS-Paramount
Format: DVD Extras-This is the complete Series 2--28 episodes
# of times viewed: 5

Season 2 Episode 8 Original Air Date: 11/4/66
The Night of the Bottomless Pit

Stars:
Robert Conrad--James "Jim" West
Ross Martin--Artemus "Arte" Gordon
Guest stars:
Theo Marcuse--Commandant Gustave Mauvais
Joan Huntington--Camille Mauvais
Tome Drake--Agent Vincent Reed
Steve Franken--Le Fou
Seymour Green--Lime
Mabel Albertson--Mrs. Grimes

Plot: Agent Vincent Reed (Drake) has been sent to Devil's Island because he was caught while working undercover. Jim and Arte are assigned to rescue him. The only way for Jim to get into the prison is as a prisoner. He enjoys the hospitality of the place including abuse from the guards and a visit to the "Pit". He finds agent Reed in the pit, now they must devise a way to escape the inescapable prison.

Complicating matters are the sadistic Commandant Mauvais (Marcuse, one of those familiar faces that I can never put a name to). Mauvais enjoys sitting under a shaded chair in his dress whites watching the inmates suffer. He also has his lovely wife, Camille (Huntington) kept there against her will. She hates him and just wants to be free. It's a good thing she's cute because Jim has to find a babe in every episode, even one placed on the remote Devil's Island. Arte shows up as a guard assigned to the prison due to his unseemly behavior. The head guard is Le Fou (Franken). He has a metal foot that is apparently capable of kicking through stone walls, lookout!

For giggles Jim is staked to the ground in front of oncoming fire ants. Sharks and quicksand also come into play. All in all, quite the adventure!

9 (out of 10) For the series.
9 (out of 10) For this episode. All the elements of a successful WWW episode are here: a maniac villain, a uniquely strong henchman, an exotic locale, an Arte disguise and a lovely lass who'd rather help Jim than her own husband.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Tonight is one of my favorite events. We are having the season ending Pizza Party for the soccer team. Of the 11 kids that played for me this time only 4 of them had any real experience playing on a team before. So, when they get their trophies tonight they will be beaming like it's Christmas Day. Sometimes the kids get so happy and emotional that they start to tear up. I have to admit when they do, it's hard for me not to. This has been a great group of kids with very supportive families. I hope many of them will be continuing playing for me.
Chris

cinemalover

Heroes of Telemark Review #113

Post by cinemalover »

Here is yet another example of a film that I remember much more fondly than my experience this time around. You've got one of my favorite directors, a couple of decent leading man and a heroic tale. Yet the total seems less than the sum of the parts. Or, maybe it's just me...

Date watched:5/1/2007
Title: Heroes of Telemark Referred to as "Anthony Mann's Heroes of Telemark" in some sources Made: 1965
Genre: Adventure/War Studio: Bentom Film
Format: DVD-R Source: TCM
# of times viewed: 2

Director; Anthony Mann
Stars:
Kirk Douglas--Dr. Rolf Pederson
Richard Harris--Knut Straud
Ulla Jacobsson--Anna Pederson
Michael Redgrave--Uncle
David Weston--Arne
Sebastian Breaks--Gunnar
John Golightly--Freddy
Anton Diffring--Major Frick

This is a story of the Norwegian Resistance battling Nazis that are occupying their country during WW II. The plot is based on true events. The Nazis are operating a factory that is producing "heavy water", a vital component in constructing atomic bombs. The Norwegian Resistance learns about the "heavy water" and recruits a scientist, Dr. Rolf Pederson (Douglas), to help them devise a plan to stop the Nazis. They contact the Allied forces for help, and the Allies send a plane with 50 troops to help them. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, killing all on board.

The Resistance and Dr. Pederson must go it alone, against improbable odds. The Resistance is lead by the no-nonsense Knut Staud (Harris). They must figure a way to destroy a factory that is a high priority for the unwelcome Germans, and is guarded as such. The Resistance movement is also aided by pPederson's former wife, Anna (Jacobsson) and her Uncle (Redgrave). There are still unsettled issues between Rolf and Anna to cloud the waters.

On paper this sounds like a great, heroic action piece. I remember liking it when I first saw it many years ago. But it hasn't aged well for me. In Harris and Douglas you have two actors that never met a scene they couldn't steal. I can believe either of these two as heroic figures, but buying into Douglas as a renown scientist....no. He just looks lost in a lab coat.

The location shooting in Oslo, Norway makes for some breath-taking scenery. Most of the support characters are little known faces, and that helps the credibility. Not a bad movie, but the pieces are in place for it to have been much better.

5* (out of 10) I don't want the fate of the war resting in the hands of Kirk Douglas as a scientist. Scary.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Soccer party update, because I know you just have to know how it went...not. The party was a smashing success. Each of the kids got to stand up in front of the gathered audience of friends and family and accept their trophies just as proudly as if it were an Oscar. They even got to give acceptance speeches, which was very cute. Most of them thanked their parents for driving them to all the games and practices as part of their speech. When one of them got up there he made a very big point of thanking his Mom for always driving him to practice and the games...and always arriving LATE! That brought down the house. I wouldn't be making any grandiose plans with my allowance if I were him.
Chris

cinemalover

West to Glory Review #114

Post by cinemalover »

Going back to the stack of "B" westerns that I've accumulated by recording them off of the Western Channel. This one was on the top of the stack, I’m glad I didn’t step in it….

Date watched:5/2/2007
Title: West to Glory Made: 1947
Genre: Western Studio: Producers Releasing Corporation
Format: DVD-R Source: Western Channel
# of times viewed: First

Stars:
Eddie Dean--Eddie Dean
Flash--Flash (after seeing the movie the horse should have received top billing, he was the best actor of the lot)
Roscoe Ates--Soapy Jones
Delores Castle--Maria
Gregg Barton--Jim Barrett
Jimmy Martin--Corey
Zon Murray--Bill Avery

Tagline: Eddie's song-singing...gun-slinging...after those Fiesta Outlaws!

Eddie Dean is a singing cowboy in this low rent western made towards the end of the singing cowboy trend. Westerns were turning to more two-fisted action and less warbling. Eddie couldn't act his way past a tumbleweed, but he did have a strong voice and apparently some song writing ability (two of the three tunes he sings, he wrote). The acting of the entire cast is sub-par. Some of the villains must of been cast solely for their ability to ride or take a punch. What plot there is involves a stolen diamond and some gold stolen to cover up the theft of the diamond. I doubt anyone was paying enough attention to the details to care.

There are two positives to the movie, a decent shoot-out between Eddie and the black hats near the end and a dream sequence. In the dream sequence Soapy (Ates), who is Eddie's dim-witted side-kick knocks himself out and into a dream. In the dream Soapy becomes the big, brave hero and Eddie becomes the stumbling side-kick. When the shooting starts Eddie scampers behind the bar while Soapy faces down the gunman. It is mildly amusing. The rest of Soapy's antics include stepping into a spittoon and stammering when he gets excited, which is more than I could do based on his performance. One of the weakest side-kicks around.

2* (out of 10) As an actor Dean was a talented singer and song writer.

I had previously stated that Pat Buttram was my least favorite side-kick. He is Oscar caliber compared to the attempted comic hijinks of Roscoe Ates as Soapy. The spittoon had more talent, even when full.[/b]
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Ricochet Review #115

Post by cinemalover »

Generally I really like most movies that Denzel is in, there are exceptions to every rule though....

Date watched:5/3/2007
Title: Ricochet Made: 1991
Genre:Action Studio:WB
Format: DVD Extras: WS non-anamorphic
# of times viewed:2

Stars:
Denzel Washington--Nick Styles
John Lithgow--Earl Talbott Blake
Ice T--Odessa
Kevin Pollack--Det. Larry Boyle
Lindsay Wagner--D.A. Priscila Brim leigh
Mary Ellen Trainor--Gail Wallens
John Amos--Rev. Styles
Victoria Dillard--Alice Styles

Tagline: He's a cop accused of murder. And the only man who knows he's innocent is the killer who framed him.

Plot: The movie starts out at a major turning point in Officer Nick Style's (Washington) life. He takes down bad boy Earl Talbott Blake (Lithgow) while saving a hostage's life. The whole event is captured on videotape and broadcast on the news. All the publicity makes Styles a hero and Blake a laughingstock.

Fast forward two years, Styles has graduated law school and become an Assistant D.A., all fast-tracked because of his heroism. He also now has a beautiful wife and two young daughters. Blake on the other hand has spent the time suffering indignities behind bars, using all his time to plot his revenge against Styles. Blake uses a parole board hearing as an opportunity to accomplish a very implausible escape. From here he instigates an elaborate plan to completely discredit Styles' life, including ruining both his career and his marriage.

For a movie like this to work at all you have to really hate the villain, mission accomplished. Lithgow plays a psychotic bad guy that even a mother couldn't love. Denzel does a nice job of creating a very likable and charismatic hero, but after a strong start the movie fades badly in the third act.

There are a lot of snappy lines and gallows humor. Some examples:
Blake to his lawyer as he is escaping from the parole board hearing, "By the way...you're fired!" As he shoots his lawyer through the head.

And just to make sure you really despise Blake he has this conversation while at the parole board...
Parole Board Member, "Mr. Blake, after your release what would be the first thing you do?"
Blake, "Well, sir, I guess first I would visit your house."
PBM, "To thank me, I suppose?"
Blake, "No. To f*** your wife and your daughter. Hell, maybe even your dog!"

And just so Denzel doesn't feel left out of the quips, he gets off a zippy one-liner as Blake is impaled on a spike, "You got the point now, dontcha', Blake?!"

4* (out of 10) The movie starts strong and the two leads are well cast, but it really starts to test your patience in the second act. By the third act, if you're still around, you might utter a few sighs of disbelief.

Counting down to another wonderful Family Friday Movie Night! And with no soccer game to worry about tomorrow, maybe Jeremy will stay up for a double feature!
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Godzilla Review #116

Post by cinemalover »

It is Friday night so that can only mean one thing. We gotta eat! Our dining selection this evening was the exquisite Subway. Tina chose the meatball sub, Jeremy played it safe with the tuna and dad piled it on a sweet terriyaki chicken sub. Then with bellies full we settled into a movie. Jeremy is up in the rotation and he wanted to watch...

Date watched:5/4/2007
Title: Godzilla Made: 1998
Genre:Action/Horror Studio:Columbia Tri-Star
Format: DVD Extras: Anamorphic WS, Trailers, Featurette, Commentary, Photo Gallery, Cast Filmographies, Music Video.

Stars:
Matthew Broderick--Dr. Niko Tatopoulos
Jean Reno--Philippe Roache
Maria Pitillo--Audrey Timmonds
Hank Azaria--Animal
Kevin Dunn--Col. Hicks
Michael Lerner--Mayor Ebert
Harry Shearer--Charles Caiman--WIDF Anchorman
Arabella Field--Lucy Palotti
Vicki Lewis--Dr. Elsie Chapman
Doug Savant--Sergeant O'Neal

Taglines: Size does matter.
The city that never sleeps just got a wake-up call.

Plot: This time it was 20 years of French Atomic Bomb testing in the South Pacific that is responsible for the creation of the slumbering giant that is Godzilla. We get our first sight of the creature when it attacks a freighter out at sea. In this Americanized version, Godzilla is closer to Jurassic Park than it is to Toho's traditional man in a rubber suit. And, instead of tearing up Tokyo, this Godzilla will come ashore in the Big Apple.

Dr. Niko Tatapolous (Broderick) is the nerdy scientist who has been summoned to help because he specializes in categorizing and studying species that have been created or altered by radiation. His expertise determines that Godzilla is pregnant and looking to nest in NYC.
Mayor Ebert (Lerner) wonders how a one-of-a-kind creature could be pregnant, "Then how can it be pregnant, what is it, the Virgin Lizard?"

Philppe Roache (Reno) is with the French Secret Service and has been following Godzilla, trying to stop the creature since his government was responsible for the lizard. Roache provides the macho hero angle for the film. The film would've benefitted from more Reno and less Broderick. I can only put up with his wimpy personna for so long.

There is a ton af action and destruction. The effects are mostly on-target and impressive. The Godzilla purists hated this movie due to all the non-traditional effects and storyline. If you view it as a stand alone action film it can be a fun watch.

This DVD also provides a great test if you have a surround sound system. The room was rumbling with all the growls and booming footsteps. Visually, the movie is beautiful, with a constant downpour accentuated by green and blue hues. It adds to an uncomfortable atmosphere whenever the creature is about.

Again, my one complaint is too much screen time for Broderick and not enough for Reno, who is the much stronger actor. Harry Shearer is entertaining as the "me-first" anchorman, Charles Caiman.

7* (out of 10) It's one big special-effects extravaganza. The scale is large, the noise is loud and the lizard has an attitude!

The Wit and Wisdom of children: When we see the first shot of Godzilla's giant foot stomping down on a NYC street Tina immediately says, "Dang, I wonder how big the clippers are to trim those toe-nails?"

Tina fell asleep half way into the movie, but Jeremy stayed up for the whole movie with me. He really enjoyed the action, and was rooting and yelling at the screen throughout. Once again, Dad is the big-time winner!
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Ring of Fear Review #117

Post by cinemalover »

Friday night after the kiddies are sleeping I decided to pop this odd-duck of a movie into the player to see what it was all about...

Date watched:5/4/2007
Title: Ring of Fear Made: 1954
Genre: Action Studio:Wayne-Fellows Productions/WB

Stars:
Clyde Beatty--Himself
Mickey Spillane--Himself
Pat O'Brien--Frank Wallace
Sean McClory--Dublin O'Malley
Marian Carr--Valerie St. Dennis
Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez--Pedro Gonzales
Emmett Lynn--Twitchy
Jack Stang--Himself
Kenneth Tobey--Shreveport
Kathy Cline--Suzanne St. Dennis

Clyde Beatty (playing himself) and his circus (mostly playing itself) are having a run of bad luck with a series of suspicious accidents that are proving quite costly. When it dawns on Clyde that someone might be behind his "bad luck" he doesn't take his troubles to the authorities, instead he hires gumshoe writer Mickey Spillane (playing himself) to investigate. Makes perfect sense so far. Mickey does have a real cop give them a hand in the form of Jack Stang (playing himself). Stang is the real-life cop that was Spillane's inspiration for his character of Mike Hammer.

While trying to find the source of their troubles Beatty issues a line that could only be heard around a circus, "Let's see if our jinx wears a clown suit."

As the action proceeds we learn that there is a homicidal killer, Dublin O'Malley (McClory) that has escaped from an institution and has integrated himself within the circus. Pedro Gonzalez adds a little comic levity as a counterpoint and you've got a background of real circus acts to fill out the running time.

Other than O'Brien and McClory the acting is flat, but I have to assume that Beatty and Spillane are qualified to play themselves. Just don't look for any emotional range. This is quite the curiosity of a film. The storyline is somewhat of a klunker but at least the circus acts are fun to watch.

5* (out of 10) I would classify this as a one-watch wonder. It's okay to see it once because of it's unique nature, but you wouldn't ever feel the need to see it again. If you're a Spillane fan it will be interesting to see him attempt to act while picking his teeth with a stalk of wheat throughout the movie.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Prizzi's Honor Review #118

Post by cinemalover »

I hadn't watched any Nicholson in awhile so it was time to correct that oversight. (I do have The Departed sitting on my shelf unwatched, but I'm waiting for an evening when I feel like watching it and the film it was based on, Infernal Affairs, back to back). Here's Jaaaaaack....

Date watched:5/5/2007
Title: Prizzi's Honor Made: 1985
Genre:Gangster/Comedy Studio:MGM/ABC Motion Pictures
Format: DVD Extras: Standard and non-Anamorphic WS

Director: John Huston (his last film)
Stars:
Jack Nicholson--Charley Partanna
Kathleen Turner--Irene Walker
Anjelica Huston--Maerose Prizzi
Robert Loggia--Eduardo Prizzi
John Randolph--Angelo "Pop" Partanna
William Hickey--Don Corrado Prizzi
Lee Richardson--Dominic Prizzi
Michael Lombard--Rosario Filargi
George Santopietro--Plumber
Lawrence Tierney--Lt. Hanley
CCH Pounder--Peaches Altamont

Tagline: Hired killers by day. Devoted lovers by night. Until they found their next assignment was each other.

Plot: The Prizzi family is a powerful mafia family that lives and dies by their code of honor. Charley Partanna (Nicholson) is a Hitman for the Prizzi's and godson to the Don Corrado Prizzi (Hickey). Charley meets and becomes infatuated with Irene Walker (Turner) at a huge Prizzi wedding. What he doesn't realize is that she is also a Hitman from out of town that the Prizzi's hired to do a job. As Charley falls for Irene, and vice versa, he doesn't know exactly what she does. To complicate matters there is Maerose Prizzi (Huston) who has a romantic history with Charley.

When Charley learns part of the truth about Irene he consults Maerose, "Do what? Do I ice her? Do I marry her? Which one of these?"

Charley and Irene find themselves at odds with the Prizzi family due to some of Irene's other activities. They consider whether they have enough money to flee the country:
Irene, "I've been doing 3, 4 hits a year, for the last few years. Most of them full pay."
Charley, "That many!?"
Irene, "It's not that many if you consider the size of the population!"

The choice of the movie comes down to love or loyalty, which will you live by. This is kind of a comic take on the Godfather mentality. Nicholson is entertaining as always and Turner was at the height of her screen power. Anjelica Huston is delicious as the manipulative Maerose , working all the angles in the background.

7* (out of 10) A dark comedy that is entertaining if not overwhelming. Enough plot twists to keep it interesting until the end. Jack’s accent got a bit annoying after awhile.

Not the worst film to have at the end of your filmography if you're John Huston. And he got to work with his daughter in a role where she manages to steal a few scenes from Jack.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Rogues of Sherwood Forest Review #119

Post by cinemalover »

Here is the first film that I've watched from the mini-Robin Hood festival that TCM ran last weekend. I have The Adventures of Robin Hood on DVD because it is one of the my favorite films, but the other three that TCM broadcast were all new to my adult viewing. I think I've seen them all on TV as a child, but not 100% sure.

Date watched:5/5/2007
Title: Rogues of Sherwood Forest Made: 1950
Genre:Adventure Studio:Columbia
# of times viewed: First since childhood.

Stars:
John Derek--Robin, Earl of Huntington
Diana Lynn--Lady Marianne
George Macready--King John
Paul Cavanagh--Sir Giles
Lowell Gilmore--Count of Flanders
Billy House--Friar Tuck
Lester Matthews--Alan-A-Dale
Billy Bevan--Will Scarlet
Wilton Graff--Baron Fitzwalter

Plot: Yet another riff on the Robin Hood legend, this one starring John Derek as Robin's son in blue tights. Prince John is now King and is taxing the life out of his lands and peasants. As one would expect, young Robin rounds up his father's old gang, looking noticeably long-in-the-tooth, to fight for the poor. Lady Marianne feeds Robin and his merry men the location and times of the tax collections so that they can intervene. She uses carrier pigeons that she tricked King John into purchasing for her. In one town, the tax collector was kind enough to leave two bags of the collected taxes sitting on the edge of an outdoor table so that Robin could grab the money and sprint away. Good help is hard to find for poor King John.

John Derek's pompadour stands out more than his thespian abilities, but he gets the job done. Alan Hale is reprising his role of Little John for the third time. He had previously assayed the role in Robin Hood 1922 and The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938.

The movie looks much better than its budget should allow thanks to the use of stock footage and standing sets from 1946's Bandit of Sherwood Forest.
6* (out of 10) A cheery little romp through Sherwood Forest with a game cast and nice scenery.

This was Alan Hale's last movie appearance as he died on January 22, 1950. The film was released in July of 1950.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The Crime Doctor's Manhunt Review #120

Post by cinemalover »

I still have a large stack of the detective series that I have recorded from TCM. Here is another entry from the Crime Doctor series with a guest appearance by the irascible Fred Mertz!

Date watched:5/6/2007
Title: The Crime Doctor's Manhunt Made: 1946
Genre: Action Studio: Columbia

Director: William Castle
Stars:
Warner Baxter--Dr. Robert Ordway
Ellen Drew--Irene Cotter
William Frawley--Police Inspector Harry Manning
Frank Sully--Bigger
Claire Carleton--Ruby Farrell
Bernard Nedell--Waldo
Jack Lee--Police Sgt. Bradley
Francis Pierlot--Gerald Cotter
Myron Healey--Philip Armstrong

This is the sixth entry in the Crime Doctor series.

Plot: Philip Armstrong (Healey) is an ex-serviceman who pays a professional visit to Dr. Ordway (Baxter). Armstrong is having problems with his memory and is afraid of a psychic foretelling of his violent death.

Shortly thereafter Armstrong does turn up dead and his girlfriend Irene Cotter (Drew) wants the Doctor's help to solve the murder. Police Inspector Manning (Frawley) is assigned to investigate the crime and works with Dr. Ordway. During the course of the investigation all is not as it seems, including Irene. Before all is done, there are a few nice plot twists to keep the story interesting.

Frawley (best known as Fred Mertz) is the best thing in this movie. It is a relief to see a cop portrayed in one of these detective series that is not a complete imbecile. Frawley keeps his character very dynamic and animated. I kept waiting for Ethel to come and put him in his place. Baxter is his normal steady self. Ellen Drew is good playing a character that may have more sides to her than are first apparent. The movie starts out sluggish but picks up the pace for a decent third act.

5* (out of 10) Middle of the road entry in the Crime Doctor series. I found my interest waning about 15 minutes in and had to rewind a couple of times to pick up parts I missed. That's never a good sign. I'm not sure if the movie just started out too slowly or if my mood wasn't right to enjoy this.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Johnny O'Clock Review #121

Post by cinemalover »

I expect to enjoy most films where Dick Powell gets to play it with a hard edge, but I enjoyed this one even more than I had hoped.

Date watched:5/6/2007
Title: Johnny O'Clock Made: 1947
Genre: Crime Drama Studio: Columbia

Dick Powell--Johnny O'Clock
Evelyn Keyes--Nancy Hobson
Lee J. Cobb--Inspector Koch
Ellen Drew--Nelle Marchettis
Nina Foch--Harriet Hobson
Thomas Gomez--Pete Marchettis
John Kellogg--Charlie
Jim Bannon--Chuck Blayton

To noir or not to noir. I have seen this film written about as though it were a noir film and I can see that side of the argument, I just can't quite agree with it. Johhny O'Clock (Powell) is living a lifestyle that seems doomed to collapse at some point, since it is built on a foundation of gambling profits and an uneasy partnership with Pete Marchettis (Gomez). And yet, Johnny is too suave and cool to be your prototypical noir hero, foretold to sink in the mire of corrupt quicksand. Johnny is the "brains" of an upscale gambling house, partnered with the "muscle" of Pete. They have a very profitable union. Leave it to the dame to stir the pot. There is a history between Johnny and Pete's trophy wife, Nelle (played like a true seductive tramp by Ellen Drew). Nelle just can't resist flirting with Johnny, and she's not as careful about it as she pretends to be. Pete is not a man to be pushed, he pushes back with deadly force.

Johnny likes his lifestyle and he likes his women, as long as they don't cling too hard. He wants them on his terms only and won't allow his emotions to show. That is if he has any. He changes women as often as the flower in his lapel.

Johnny doesn't gamble himself, but just his association with it is enough to make Inspector Koch (Cobb) suspect him when a corrupt cop turns up dead. Johnny tries to maintain his cool exterior as Koch turns up the heat on both Johnny and Pete, just to see who might boil over first. When another body turns up dead we see that first signs that Johnny may not be heartless.

Johnny finds a woman that he may actually care for and must choose between her or going back to confront his partner for his money. Guess which instinct will win. The triangle between Johnny, Pete and Nelle is counter-pointed with the triangle of Inspector Koch, Johnny and Pete. As the song says, something's gotta' give.

Powell does a wonderful job of walking that tightrope between a sympathetic character and a heartless cad. We like him and find ourselves rooting for him. There are many elements of a noir story here, but not fatalistically so. Ultimately, there is some heart to the choices made, which rules out true noir.

8* (out of 10) I really enjoyed this film. You get cool characters, betrayals from unexpected places, murders and red herrings. And you get to discover whether Johnny has a heart behind that protective stone wall.

I don't know how this one has escaped me over the years, but I'm glad I finally caught up to it.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 24th, 2008, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris