Where are you? Posters MIA

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anyone heard from JohnM? It's been almost two months and that seems a while as he was on regularly.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

hi, Anne
in re posts being ignored:

I've tried to come up with trivia topics mostly to keep things going. I got the idea - possibly mistaken, that the main idea of posting was to keep the site alive and kicking. I got responses from only a handful of members. from some posts. From others nothing at all. I would

ve thought people would want to ,express an opinion about any subject but I was wrong. .

Hope I;m wrong but it seems to me the interest here is supplied by a very small percentage of the members ... mel
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Mel! How are you doing? You've been missed, hope you are on the road to full recovery.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hey mel:

I used to love trivia, in fact I was somewhat of a Trivial Pursuit champion years ago, but the senior brain doesn't think quite quickly enough nowadays to get into trivial games. I even find myself looking at the trivia games on this site, but by the time I formulate an answer, someone is already posting it. You know me by now, I have an opinion on almost anything, but usually if I don't respond to a post it's because someone else has already said what I had planned to say, or the only answer I had was un-printable for one reason or another.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This seems to be a good place to say godbye for 2 weeks.

See you when I get back from the Isle of Wight.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

or the only answer I had was un-printable for one reason or another.

Lol! :wink:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:This seems to be a good place to say godbye for 2 weeks.

See you when I get back from the Isle of Wight.
Have fun!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

:D You'll have to fill us in when you get back Alison! I know you and the family will have fun!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ollie! Ollie! Where are you?
Chris

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Ollie is on a round the world trip, if I'm correct he sailed West from San Francisco to visit the Olympics and then is meandering his way back crossing Asia and Europe on his way.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wow, what a trip.

I tease my father because he won a trip to Singapore and as he was meeting someone in Hawaii they would play golf. Because of his return arrangements he came home via Europe so he and my mother and, most depressingly, his GOLF CLUBS got to go around the world. I got to San Francisco once.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, Chris, Chris...haven't you ever heard of CADDIES?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
bryce

Post by bryce »

Has anyone heard from Hollis lately?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I exchanged an email with him probably a day or two after he last posted here but nothing sense.

Also, has anyone heard anything from Chris (cinemalover)? I tried to send him an email through the member's list but unsure if he would have received it. I think this is longest time without a post. Almost three weeks.
Chris

Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning everyone,

JohnM spent the last two weeks or so traveling on a cruise ship around the Baltic Sea region, visiting places, like Estonia, St Petersburg, Russia, Copenhagen and other venues. He was kind enough to send me 4 or 5 post cards from different ports of call he made. He's home now and doing just fine. He confided in me that he rarely posted on SSO any longer because he felt that no one was responding to his posts as they had in the past so basically he looked upon it as a waste of energy.

Thanks for asking about me Bryce, I'd like to be able to say that things are getting better or even holding the status quo, but as with most chronic conditions, it only seems to be getting worse over time and it's become more and more difficult to sit at the PC. I'm at crossed swords as far as asking the doctor to increase the level of medication that he has me on currently or continuing to deal with what I employ presently. Seems that there really are two sides to every coin. I've found out that prolonged use of narcotic pain killers, no matter how necessary and effective they may be, can impact the thalmus gland in the brain and some doctors feel that their use can actually cause their own pain or intensify the pain a person's already dealing with. So it seems to be the eternal situation of "Damned if I do, damned if I don't." If I were still 18 (like I feel between my ears) I could probably handle this all a whole lot better, but to be truthful, it's just plain beaten me down. Long term exposure to severe pain doesn't , as you might think, make you better able to handle it (at least not in my case) but it just wears you down over time like water flowing over rock. These days I feel more like talc than I do quartz. And in a manner of speaking, the pain actually becomes the disease as it has a bearing on virtually everything you do or attempt to do. But I've had a good run, I've been to places and seen things most people haven't. I've loved and lost, I've loved and won and I still hold out hope that there's still something that medical science can do for me. They make enormous strides these days and for people far worse off than I am. I thank nature for allowing me to retain what faculties and mobility I still have. To paraphrase Yogi Berra (of all people) "When you give up hope, you give up." Thanks for all the kind thoughts and keeping me in mind. It's certainly not unappreciated in this quarter, believe me.

All my best to my friends at SSO and hopefully we'll be able to speak more frequently. If you've got an IM program, make sure to log in to it when you get online.

All my best to all of you,

Hollis