OHMIGOSH! Look what I found under my tree!

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

OHMIGOSH! Look what I found under my tree!

Post by cinemalover »

Season's greetings one and all.

Not to center on the selfishness of receiving, but I thought I'd start a thread so that we could share with each other some of the interesting gifts that we recieve in this season of giving. Feel free to share anything that you wish and especially any gifts you receive that have a movie theme to them. I'm sure some of us will unwrap presents which will surprise and delight us with DVDs, movie-themed books, or perhaps even new sources to play or watch movies on. I suspect that none of us keep secret our love of film, so many who know us and love us would naturally be drawn to these themes when choosing gifts for us.

Beware of paper cuts and unwrap carefully.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

Well it was a Bruce Campbell Christmas for me: both books (If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor and Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way), plus the Jack of All Trades and The Adventures of Brisco County Jr box sets.

Now if only My Name is Bruce hadn't been delayed until next year...
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Dawtrina,
Enjoy those Campbell themed gifts. I thought Brisco was a wonderfully fun series that slipped through the cracks.

In our household there were many DVDs exchanged. For now I'll just start with the series that our entire family has come to enjoy, Smallville. As a family we had watched the first three seasons together, while each of us was able to appreciate the series on a different level. It is a rare television show that can capture and maintain the attention of such a diverse audience.

Jeremy received season four of Smallville while Tina received season five. Last night when all the festivities were over that was their first choice to sit and watch as a family even though they had plenty of other options. Darn fun show as we sat through the first four episodes of season four last night.
Chris

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I got clothes, PJ pants, a tin of cocoa powder with marshmellows inside and the Xbox 360 HUZZAH!

I also got money but it may not go to movies as I need to buy a couple accessories for my X360. I'll still try to buy at least one classic movie though.

Sadly my Christmas ended on a sour note as my grandfather is fighting for his life right now. I was supposed to go and review a movie I saw on Xmas morning but i'll wait til i'm in a better frame of mind.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Bogie wrote:Sadly my Christmas ended on a sour note as my grandfather is fighting for his life right now. I was supposed to go and review a movie I saw on Xmas morning but i'll wait til i'm in a better frame of mind.
Bogie,

My thoughts are with you and your grandfather. Here's hoping for the best.

While I did get some movie related stuff for Christmas, my best gift ever came from my mom. I lost my grandmother in July, and she put together a scrapbook with photos of her from her birth in 1916 to this year. She was an amazing woman, and I miss her terribly. It was a tough holiday for me indeed.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Bogie,

My thoughts and prayers are with you this Holiday season.

I lost my dad last month and so the holiday wasn't the same as it has been in the past.

I put together a video of my dad's life for my family and I think they appreciated it very much.

One of the bright spots, Mr Cutter blessed me with my own copy of Ford at Fox.

Color me a bit happier.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

lzcutter:

What a wonderful and exciting surprise for you. Mr cutter knows how to make you happy! My unconscious kids, except my one daughter, all know how I love Angels and classic movies, but other than her, they never give me either one. But she gave me a beautiful 15" glass Angel figurine, now I have to figure out where to put it. My showcase shadow box is full and the nice thing about it is, it's dustproof, so I don't have to dust all the things every week.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
inglis

gifts

Post by inglis »

Hi Everyone!
My husband got me The Beatles Help movie just recently released on DVD and it was pure pleasure to watch .Lots of added extra's on the filming of it and the restoration process that took place . I don't ask for much but I was quite happy to watch Help again after many years .It was sad of course as George and John are gone .We had a great day but I will be glad to get back to a normal diet .I always eat too much . A very Happy New year to you all ! Carol
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It was a DVD Christmas for me. The big bix set of "Help!", "To Kill A Mockingbird", the 4 DVD set of "Ben Hur", documentaries on WWII and the history of aviation. I got some non-movie stuff too.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

In my household it was a DVD extravaganza as every member of the family received a number of DVDs. My lovely wife had Amazing Grace and The Pixar Shorts Collection DVds high on her list, and me, not being a complete idiot, made sure they were under the tree.

The one present that my lovely wife got me that had me the most excited was the I Love Lucy Complete Series set. This is one of those mega-sets that contains all nine seasons and 194 total episodes on 34 DVDs. This may take years to get all the way through, but it is a series that I have always loved, and, even better, another series that the entire family will be able to enjoy together.

Thanks, Wifey!
Chris

benwhowell

Where were you in '63?

Post by benwhowell »

I was thrilled to "receive" season one of "American Dreams." I didn't watch this show until the final season. (My faves are always cancelled!)
I found it to be quite a thought-provoking nostalgic look at the tumultuous early '60's-through the eyes of a family (and all their friends, etc.) in Philadelphia...with the eldest daughter dancing on American Bandstand.
It's a fast paced rollercoaster ride with a terrific soundtrack plus contemporary performers appearing as various performers of the day-performing their hits on Bandstand...seen briefly on the TV series-the DVD promises "extended" performances.
Handsome Johnny Eck
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I also received the Beatles Help DVD from my daughter and my wife got me the Help CD. I got The Searchers Collector's Edition, the Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2 set, the fourth Die Hard movie and the Fantastic 4 set. My wife also got me the audio book of To Kill A Mockingbird narrated by Sissy Spacek. Add some OSU paraphenalia and some golf balls and I was one happy camper! :D

Oh, and I forgot The Essential Simon and Garfunkel CD, The Great American Songbook CD featuring Bing Crosby, Doris Day, Ella Fitzgerald and so many more, and a Hank Williams, Sr. box set.

And then there was Caroline Kennedy's book of Christmas memories, a graphic novel version of Stephen King's Gunslinger from the Dark Tower series and a book with lyrics to 200 Christmas songs.

Boy, was I blessed or what? :lol:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
inglis

help

Post by inglis »

Seems like Help was a big gift this Christmas .Charlie I got The Searchers collection dvd for my birthday in May .We watched it again on Wed night,just fantastic all the added features .
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning,

Before I was forced to leave my p/t gig at the local WalMart, I was able to take my 20% off employee discount voucher and use it to help defray the cost of my new Samsung 37" LCDHD TV. Spending as much time as I do watching TCM, IFC and FMC, it seemed the best use of what $$ I had to spend! Now it's time to start recording the classics and building my library in earnest! I'll probably splurge on the 2008 TCM DVD guide and dream about all those movies That I'll forever be adding to my wish list! If anyone can offer me any advice as to what format they have the greatest success with when recording, it would be most appreciated! For the time being, Goodbye, Farewell and Amen!

As always.

Hollis (and with a special thanks to my friend Nanook, known to most of you as Klondike)
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I didn't get any movies this year (boo) but I got this book called Crazy About Hollywood. It's a fun little trivia book that covers everything from Birth of a Nation tthrough about 2006. It has a little computer thingy attached and gives you random questions to answer and keeps your score. I love it, since no one will play Scene It with me anymore...
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde