I just wish I could get it

Chit-chat, current events
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

I don't know about this "It must be a man thing" regarding Steve McQueen. If anything, I found him strangely diffident and disinterested, not cool. Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke?" That was cool. And Chris (Movieman) my good friend, what? you don't get Bruce Springsteen? (aka "The Boss") Listen closely to the lyrics of "My Home Town" or "Streets of Philadelphia" (an Oscar winner I believe?) and maybe it'll help you understand him. Better yet, see him in concert if you ever get the chance. It will be well worth every penny of the admission price!

As always,

Hollis
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Hollis:

I guess it's less about his writing than his voice. Maybe I'll check out his lyrics but the singing, for me, is just not enjoyable. Most of the time he sounds like he's passing a kidney stone. I do realize though that I am in the minority.

I'll get back to you on him as a lyricist.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

Re: the Boss

Listen to his album The River

It's a really great intro to his music and his storytelling.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Hollis

Post by Hollis »

In a word? AMEN.

As always,

Hollis
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

I love hearing Springsteen alone with just his guitar and harmonica, but I just can't listen to anything with his band. For some reason it's always been the equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I do love Nils Lofgren, though.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Mr O'Brady,

I know what you mean, the band does have a raw, unpolished edge to it, but that's exactly what I like about it. It's the essence of rock and roll and avoids the plague of many bands, overproduction. "Greetings from Asbury Park" might just be one of the best introductory albums that any band has ever released. I only wish I'd been able to make more shows at The Stone Pony. Those were the days my friend! (I know, I borrowed that line from someone else!)

As always,

Hollis

p.s. Spending some time at the North Jersey shore does give one a certain insight into his music, especially his early releases. Funny thing, but outside of Philly, his only other early acceptance was down in Texas of all places. Go figure.
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

No, I'm not a big fan of over-production either. I cringe listening to Glenn Miller, Lawrence Welk, and Boston. There's also a popularity issue with me. If anything, from music to movies to television to the latest catch phrase, is extremely popular, I usually run the other direction. It's the punk in me.

And there have always been a few of us Texans that love music other than post-1950 big hair/bigger hat country music! javascript:emoticon ':lol:'
I live in a pretty small town, but there are some great blues and folk bands here nearly every weekend.

Pat

Someone want to explain emoticons to me? Please!
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Pat,

Emoticons? Emotional Icons? I think it shows that someone had way too much time on their hands!

As always,

Hollis

Let's see, Janis Joplin, Stevie Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top and I'm certain there are others I'm forgetting to note, but I guess Texas does have some socially redeeming values! Remember the Alamo!
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I just wish I could get into The Marx Brothers comedies. I'd love too, I've tried two Night At The Opera (I was constantly interrupted as I watched it when my son was a newborn) then I tried Animal Crackers. People rave about them but I feel as if I'm on the outside looking in. The do raise a smile or two but I want to appreciate them more than that.

I was wondering has anyone ever felt the same about anything, everyone else seems to get it but you. It doesn't even have to be films, just make me feel better, it can be Harry Potter, anything, make me feel less like I'm in a minority of one :cry:
I tried to watch Monkey Business 1931 on TCM one time, and I think I laughed once. I think the Marx brothers are extremely overrated, unfortunatly. I don't have anything against the guys, I quite like Groucho, infact. I just don't think they're funny, at all.

I also don't get the appeal of Marlon Brando, and sorry to say this but I cannot stand Doris Day.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Bogie wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:I'm sorry I still don't get Steve McQueen, he's a little craggy looking for me although I would love to watch Love With A Proper Stranger. I think what really disappointed me was The Thomas Crown Affair for years I'd been told how this was the sexiest movie ever, not for me I'm afraid!
Does it make me a bad person if I like the Pierce Brosnan version of that movie better then the McQueen version?
I'm also in the minority in that I actually enjoyed the Pierce Brosnan remake better. I don't know why. Maybe because I just thought Pierce was more comfortable in the role than McQueen was.

I'm not a major fan of either actor.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Gaucho

Post by Gaucho »

For me, any Wheeler and Woolsey films are more painful than dental work.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love your avatar Gaucho :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
melwalton

Wheeler . Woolsey

Post by melwalton »

Gaucho
Agreed about W & W. They weren't funny even when they had good material, which was seldom BUT YOU GOT TO SEE DOROTHY LEE. As the man said. 'More I cannot wish you .... mel
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome, Gaucho & Mel, it's always good to hear from you! After enduring Wheeler and Woolsey in the historically significant yet mind-numbing early musical, Rio Rita (1929) some time ago, I can attest to the appeal of this charming actress. She even has her own website, here. I dunno how "official" it is, but it's sort of fun.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks