I just wish I could get it

Chit-chat, current events
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

movieman1957 wrote:
No. I have a 20 year old son and a 17 year old daughter. While that presents its own problems none of them involve sleep. (They sleep pretty well.)

I frequently can't turn my head off. I tend to worry.
"don't worry be happy" in Bobby McFerrin voice.

Seriously worrying does no good. My mother has a big problem with that in fact she got really high blood pressure last month based on all the worry and stress she puts herself through.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's a thread in itself. I could certainly contribute :)
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I get it from my mother. My dad says if she didn't have something to worry about she'd go next door and borrow something. I try to ignore them but it doesn't always work. Shoot I worry about people here. Are they happy? Are they well? Where did they go?

Thankfully my emotional shortcomings have yet to interfere with my physical status.

My wife is just the opposite. She is the requisite optimist. Somehow over 24 years we have managed to strike a balance.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, I watched worry erode my mom's enjoyment of life, and I have had my fair share, too. To tell some one "Oh, don't worry so much" is like saying don't breathe. It's just built in to us, and we have to really struggle NOT to worry. Then, we worry about worrying so much. :roll: All you can do is the best you can do....
and hang in there, buddy!

Nancy
charliechaplinfan

I never worry about myself it's other people. The kids, the cats, the husband, my parents, his parents etc.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I worry generally a lot less than I used to. I've found that it takes real discipline not to worry about things. I try to use a rule told to me by an older, and I think very well-adjusted person: How important is this right now? Tomorrow? A week from now? Six months? A year? Five Years?

I find that there are indeed things that keep their significance for longer than a day or a week, but the majority of the things I used to fret and get myself all worked up about can be discounted quite quickly. The questions help to put things in their proper perspective for me.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I'm afraid that I'm one of those whose mind tends to go into overdrive at the wrong times - like whenever I am faced with a late night dilemna. For some reason, I want to rehearse exactly how any confrontation and/or solution will proceed prior to the actual event. I know it's counterproductive to a good night's sleep, but that doesn't make me any less susceptible to it.

In re Marx Brother films, I'm with MM'57. The word play and twisting of the English (meaning "American") language is the foundation for their humor. Some of the sight gags work well - like the mirror routine between Groucho and Harpo, but overall, I don't get into slapstick.

As far as comedy goes, I rarely find anything that makes me laugh out loud. The most I remember laughing at a movie was the first time I saw Young Frankenstein. There were times when I was the only one laughing in the theater. :oops: The most full and unrestrained laughter I ever experienced was listening to George Carlin's On The Road album with my friend. He wanted to borrow it to let his parents hear it, but was afraid that it would be detrimental to their physical health. :shock:

Chaplin's comedy worked well in the silents, but The Great Dictator left me wondering where's the humor. I guess the great thing about comedy is that there are several ways to be humorous, so if you don't like one style of comedy, just wait - another is just around the corner. :lol:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
charliechaplinfan

Some other people/films I can't get

Steve McQueen - must be a man thing
Charlton Heston - apart from A Touch Of Evil
The Lord of The Rings films - already mentioned
Jean Luc Godard - I've tried but no missed it completely
Virginia Woolf - I've tried but it passed me by.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Some other people/films I can't get

Steve McQueen - must be a man thing
The only Steve McQueen films i've ever really liked were THE GREAT ESCAPE and THE TOWERING INFERNO. The rest of his movies are deadly boring to me. One of his movies was remade a few years back so I watched the original and I was on the verge of falling asleep!

He may have been "cool" but some of his movies were just BLAH.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Bogie,
No Magnificent Seven on your Steve McQueen appreciation list? For shame!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
charliechaplinfan

I like the Great Escape but I prefer the English characters and James Garner to Steve McQueen. James Garner and Donald Pleasance such an odd but wonderful partnership.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

cinemalover wrote:Bogie,
No Magnificent Seven on your Steve McQueen appreciation list? For shame!
How did I miss that?! IIRC he wasn't one of the bigger characters though.

So there you go, 3 movies with McQueen that I can say I'd watch more then once.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

For purposes of context:

Favorite Comedy: DUCK SOUP
Favorite Film Comedian: Groucho Marx
2nd Favorite Film Comedian: Charles Chaplin
Favorite TV Game Show Host: Groucho Marx

Even though I like much of their work and don't aggressively dislike any of it, the iconic film and music artists "I just don't get" in terms of the worship they seem to generate among people whose opinions I respect:

John Ford (given that my favorite director, Orson Welles, said that his three favorite directors were John Ford, John Ford and John Ford, it must be me)
Alfred Hitchcock (I break out in hives whenever I see use of The Master in reference to him)
George Cukor
The Grateful Dead
Bruce Springsteen
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Steve McQueen? Who cares if he can act? As far as this female fan is concerned, all he had to do was stand there! Crikeys - just look at him!! (And he looked even better in color.)

Image[/img]