R.I.P.

Post by SSO Admins »

Goodbye, Dusty

?? 1999 -- April 22, 2008.

I love you baby.

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Jon -
You have our deepest condolences. Mrs. Dewey and I lost our little Daisy back in '05. We know how difficult this kind of loss can be. We now have Charley (a handsome, playful Tabby) and he's brightened up our lives considerably. Perhaps in time you'll find your Charley.
-Dewey
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

So sorry to hear about the family loss, Jon. I'm still getting weepy over the loss of our Beautiful Maggie in November. They are so important to us. :cry:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My condolences to you and your family Jon. I lost one of my cats just before Christmas. My wife and I don't have children--these are our children. :cry:

I'm sure Dusty had a great life with you. He's a beautiful cat.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jon, I'm so sorry for your loss. Our four legged friends love us unconditionally and wholeheartedly. We are blessed indeed to share our lives with them.

I hope your Dusty is chasing my Dobie, Babe, all over Heaven.

Nancy
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Oh I'm so sorry, Jondaris. My cats are so special to me, like babies, I know how difficult it must be at the moment.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm so sorry about Dusty, Jon.
Please accept my condolences and hope that Dusty's rolling in catnip somewhere. If you have a chance, could you please tell us what breed of cat Dusty was? He was magnificently regal looking.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Thanks for all the kind words. It's been a rough weekend.

moira, I adopted her as an adult, and I don't really know her breed. I went to PetSmart to buy fish food one day, and she was sitting in the adoption section just staring at me. It was like she was demanding that I take her home. So I did. She's been such a good cat.

Here's what I posted on my online journal about her death:
She was active, eating and alert until just before the end. She became very listless on Friday night. She'd been put on antibiotics at the vet the week before, and when I called him Saturday morning he basically said that unless I wanted to bring her in and have her put down, there wasn't much to do but watch her and hope she had the strength to pull through.

She didn't. But she died at home with me petting her and softly singing "Don't Worry Baby" by the Beach Boys. Her last meal was fried chicken from Cross Street Market, which she managed to eat a little of just an hour before she died. She loved that stuff. I think she died fairly easily -- she wasn't showing signs of being in pain, and she was responding by purring just 15 minutes before the end.

She had always been afraid of people, but since I moved she'd really come out of her shell. When Dayv and Julie came over a couple of weeks ago, she showed no fear and walked back and forth between them asking for attention. I'm glad she got over being so afraid before she died.

She was a great cat, and I love her very much.

And I'm still not smoking.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Dear Jondaris, your words have brought tears to my eyes. One of my cats was left seriously injured after being knocked down by a car. I was distraught, I cried for days. I had to take her to the vets. I couldn't stay in the room with her when she was put to sleep, then I felt guilty for not doing.
The truth us our pets often know us better than most people and they certainly show us more love and empathy. It'll be a tough time but being able to talk with friends will help.

Good for you with your willpower too. The cigarettes won't help.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Pets can truly become part of the family and in some ways the loss of a pet is like the loss of a child. It's very hard to get over it. I think in some ways the loss of a pet can be a lot worse.

My mother used to have a dog and she witnessed the dog being accidentally run over by her father's car. Ever since then she's been against pets in the house. I always wanted a dog or a cat but she'd always be against it. I guess the memory of what she saw will always be in her mind.

Again my condolences.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Growing up on a farm where I should have become accustomed to animals dying, whether purposefully or accidentally, the death of a pet is something I have never been able to accept. We share your grief.

About four years ago, we had to put our younger daughter's dog to sleep and I was disconsolate for weeks, taking it much harder than she did, and I opposed getting any new pets. Now we have a three-year old cat and a four-month old puppy and they are an integral part of the family. We hope they're around as long as (or longer than) I am.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I'm so very sorry jon! I had to have a beloved dog put down almost 7 years ago. It was so painful, but she had been having seizures since I had gotten her as a stray, and the last one compromised her so tragically that it was doing her a favor to put her to rest. At about the same time, my current best friend, a Dachshund named Chester was born. I got him in October of 2001 and he's a healthy, happy little scamp!

Sorry that I just noticed this thread. Again my deepest condolences!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Hugs, sympathy, and condolences on your loss, Jon.

Our loved ones will forever be missed.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Jon,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I wish I'd known sooner. I lost my baby "Gray" at Christmas time of 2006 after almost 16 years. There were times during those years where she really was my only link to sanity. I can't tell you how much her loss meant to me, and I know just what you're feeling. Because all things seem to happen for reasons unknown, her loss led me to adopt "Oscar" about two weeks later. He was a mature, dark red tomcat between 3 and 5 years of age. Why anyone would give him up is beyond me, but I'm glad they did. He lives a very pampered life now, and I'm more than a little glad he's here.

As always,

Hollis