MEMORIAL DAY

Chit-chat, current events
Hollis

MEMORIAL DAY

Post by Hollis »

Good morning everyone,

This is just a much deserved salute to the men and women that we veterans served alongside who weren't fortunate enough to make the trip home. By making the ultimate sacrifice, many of them ensured that the rest of us were in fact able to return to our loved ones and enjoy the freedoms that they gave their lives for. Whether you're a veteran, a conscientious objector or an avowed pacifist, perhaps due to religious convictions, it doesn't matter. We all owe them a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid. In today's all volunteer military especially, their service meant that someone else wouldn't have to serve and perhaps be placed in harm's way. I'm sure that all my fellow vets here at SSO would join me in honoring them.

Respectfully, and as always,

Hollis

p.s. It's a small gesture, but remember to fly the flag this weekend. Thanks all.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, Hollis for the thread, and thanks to all our Vets, for securing and protecting the freedoms I enjoy each day.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hollis, thanks for bringing our attention back to what's important this and every Memorial Day--not to glorify war, but to pause, remember, and thank those who serve.

I often think that we stand on the shoulders of those we will never know. Men and women who gave themselves willingly before we were born in the cause of freedom. Because of them, we have a chance to live for our country as they died for it. Imperfect as that national ideal may be in reality, this cause still may be "the last, best hope of mankind". Thank you to all who've tried to preserve it.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks to each of you for such eloquent thoughts.

The thought of so many who, in their prime, went to fight for what they believed and gave their most precious gift keeps me in awe and in admiration.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Nancy, Moira and Chris.

Thank you all for your very simple but elegant messages. It's always gratifying to a vet to receive the thanks of those folks whose lives and freedoms he was sworn to protect. Whether in peacetime or war, political considerations set aside, it really is an important role that the Armed Forces' men and women play. We can only hope for the day that people of differing creeds learn to live together in harmony and finally make the importance of the military a distant memory. Until that day comes, don't let the opportunity to say "Thanks" to anyone who has worn, or is still wearing their country's uniform, pass by. Let me keep the ball rolling by saying "Thanks" to my good friend and fellow veteran Klondike who served us with distinction during the Vietnam War. He proves beyond any doubt that olive drab or navy blue and gray matter are not mutually exclusive terms. The same greeting to anyone else who has served, whoever and wherever you are.

As always,

Hollis
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Our memorial day for our soldiers is Nov 11th but I join you in honouring the ones from our nations who didn't return from duty and the ones who continue to strive to bring peace and harmony to this world.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nov. 11 is our Veterans Day. We have both as federal holidays.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

November 11 was originally called Armistice Day, in honor of the end of World War 1, wasn't it? And Memorial Day was called "Decoration Day", to decorate graves of all our lost ones??? At least, when I was growing up, many moons ago, that's what my mother and grandmother called those 2 days. Somebody, help me out here!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You are correct Nancy. According to the Library of Congress website the first national observance was on May 30, 1868. At the turn of the century it was changed to Memorial Day. (local observances were held earlier.)

Find out more here
Chris

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Nov 11th is Armistice day/Memorial day on that day we honour the dead of all wars. Poppies are sold to raise money for the Royal Legion which helps by rehabilitaing soldiers and helping their families. More importantly it gives us a chance to remember our glorious dead, hopefully it also gives us a chance to reflect on the wars gone by and to learn lessons about how to live more peacefully.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Thanks to all who serve and protect our country, past and present. You are not forgotten.

[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

I love the concept of Memorial Day, but its evolution into an excuse for big sales and beer-guzzling barbecues irks me no end. Ask most Americans under forty what the poppy signifies, and you'll often get a blank stare. TCM's lineup of 1960's and 1970's movies today "honoring" our dead leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Tomorrow and Monday are a little better, but just a few quality movies rather than quantity would have been a better salute. Sorry if I sound a tad angry, just one of my pet peeves.

Pat the brat
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

From Mr. Smith Goes to Washington: "Liberty is too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say, 'I'm free, to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't; I can, and my children will.'"

Many, many thanks to the veterans here at the SSO for fighting for our freedom.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Pat my friend,

You're more than entitled to feel that way. If one in a million people were to spend an hour placing flags on graves at a National Cemetery like Arlington or any of the hundreds more that dot the country it would be a lot. If one in a hundred flew the flag it would be a lot. In all of my experience, it wasn't until I moved to Alabama in '06 that I witnessed the owner of a large automobile dealership say on his cable access infomercial that if a potential customer wanted to spend Memorial Day shopping for a car, that person could go someplace else because he refused to open for business. He said that he felt that it was incredibly disrespectful that the holiday be used for profit. If I had been in the market for an automobile at that time, guess who would have earned my business right there on the spot? Does WalMart need the sales so badly that they couldn't possibly afford to lock their doors for the day? Actions do speak far louder than words, don't they?

CarrieLiz,

That's a beautiful sentiment and quite a fitting quote. Thank you for your contribution. By the way, welcome aboard and don't be a stranger! It sounds to me as though you have plenty to contribute!

AS always,

Hollis
melwalton

holidays

Post by melwalton »

You're absolutely right, Nancy, about Armistice and Decoration days,
We called the latter ;'Flag day, as well People put flags on graves. Probably still do. .... mel