I don't know how to say this...

Chit-chat, current events
Hollis

I don't know how to say this...

Post by Hollis »

My dearest friends,

It's becoming harder and harder to sit at the PC and communicate with you. Apparently, the condition of my spine and hips has deteriorated to the point where maintaining a sitting position is becoming nigh on to impossible. I've tried standing to type but to no avail. Like an engine that runs out of oil, my back just seizes up and the pain is more than I can tolerate. I don't know what else to do. The Doc at the VA seems to think that the dosage of medication I'm on is sufficient to keep the pain in check. I literally broke down and cried in his office, something I'm not wont to do. I guess a couple of Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star mean nothing to him. If I had known that these "golden years" would have resulted in this agony, I would have fled to Canada like so many others. I can't put into words the despair I feel when I realize that there's no end in sight. But like the song in "Showboat", "I'm tired of living but I'm scared of dying, " so not to worry, I'm not going to be doing anything drastic. After a while, the pain becomes the disease itself. All I want is to fall asleep and not wake up. I don't know what else to do or say. Except that I've valued every minute that I've been fortunate enough to spend getting to know all of you.Thanks for putting up with all my lack of knowledge. I only hope that I've contributed something worthwhile during my time here. But I'm not giving up hope, as miracles do sometimes happen. Thanks for being such good friends to me, I don't know if I deserve it. A special thanks to Dewey, Klondike, Mr Arkadin, Mr O'Brady, Moira and Chris (both of you.) I 'm hoping against hope that I'll be back at some point in the near future.

As always,,

Hollis
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

We'll save you a seat on the aisle my friend.

Miracles do happen and I can only hope that you are destined for one. We won't say goodbye, merely that I'll hope to see you soon. It has been a pleasure communicating with you and I know we will again.

Take care as best you can.
Chris
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hollis,

I will continue to hope and pray for your return to us here at the SSO. You are a valuable member of our community and we will miss you while you are gone.

But I will continue to believe that like Gaylord from Showboat that you will return to us one of these days soon!

Till then, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

We'll be right there beside you, Hollis, like Spirit Guides. Don't forget about us---we need you around here.
-Dewey
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Dearest Hollis:

You can rest in the knowledge that, at minimum, you have brought warmth, friendship and a sense of humor to our group. There has been so much more whether it be rooting for the Flyers or giving your take on original punk rock bands (if that was it), our chats have been all the better for you having been part of them.

You are in my prayers that your situation becomes manageable so that in addition to all the other things you might do you can also join us from time to time.

A comfortable chair, a bag of your favorite munchies are here for you. (I promise to leave them alone.)

Take care.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hollis,

I'll pray for a break through medicine or treatment to make your suffering lessen. I understand what you say about the pain becoming the disease. I've seen what the pain has done to my father who has very bad arthritis, it's bad for him, I've seen his tears, it must be worse for you.

God bless and take care, I hope you can come back to us soon.

Alison
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hollis, put your left hand on your right shoulder, and your right hand on your left shoulder. Now squeeze....tightly. That's a hug from me. You are in my prayers, dear friend.

Nancy

ps. I'll even look the other way if you want to tell a naughty joke or two.....just come back to us soon.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

While I don't know you as well as others I, too will keep you in my thoughts. You'll always occupy a special place in this community and no, this is not good bye but rather see you later.

Your prescence will surely be missed but we'll all have our memories and happy thoughts of and for you.

Get well dear friend.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This is one of those times when I wish that I could reach through the computer to give you a hug, Hollis. I'll miss you terribly but hope that occasionally you might feel well enough to come back to the computer for just a few minutes to share your always insightful and entertainingly salty comments with us. I know that those of us who've interacted with you here and at TCM are better for it. Please know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Dear Hollis, even though I can't even imagine what you must be going through, you are in my thoughts. Stay with us!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hollis,
I'm so sorry to hear your condition has worsened. Take care of yourself and visit when you can. You will be in my prayers.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Hollis,
Although I’m relatively new to the board our paths have crossed a few times. You even reminded me of some bands I had, indeed, forgotten (I’m listening to Naked Aggression’s Bitter Youth as I write).

Visit when you can. And a profound thanks for your service.

Kevin
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

:(
klondike

Post by klondike »

w h o a

This seems to be my month for catching knock-out punches.

Hollis, my friend, my fellow ex-pat sports fan, my Brother in Arms, you've rendered me near speechless . .
I find myself in such a quandary over this, so typical of my selfishness: I desire wholeheartedly for you to succeed in finding some measure of, if not comfort, at least pain-ease . . and yet it's so hard to let you go, from the pleasure of my own acquaintance with you, and also from the fuller, warmer arena of this Happy Island we've all helped to build.
I can only hope with great desire for your return . . but Norman Vincent Peale told us, back once upon a time, that Hope is the Muscle of the Mind.
Hold our Names in your Heart, ma frer; we'll be doing the same with yours.

I shall always be
Your Friend
Klondike