Happy Fourth of July!

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Happy Fourth of July!

Post by moira finnie »

Happy 4th of July to all. Our American Independence Day is commemorated today to recall the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on this date in 1776 (though the Continental Congress had actually voted on it two days before).

Cher French SSO members: Merci beaucoup for your enlightened ideas, Lafayette and all that helpful dough sent by the king (who really only wanted to cause trouble for the Brits). We might not exist without you.

Beloved British & Canadian SSO members: Sorry for reminding all of us of our little dustups over the centuries, but thanks for the beauty and clarity of the English language and the legal traditions you passed on to us--even though we don't always like to admit it, our application of those ideas respecting the individual, minorities, and the ingenuity we cherish does have roots with you. Though there are days when I've despaired or facetiously think we should ask the queen and commonwealth for forgiveness, it is a happy holiday in our country, despite all our flaws and problems. I hope that the coming two hundred and thirty-third year of America's existence is one we can be proud of by next July 4th.

Though very bright men, the Continental Congress members could not have known how the words of the preamble to the Declaration of Independence, written by Thomas Jefferson, would resonate throughout the world to this day. If only we can strive to fulfill a fraction of their eloquently expressed ideals in our everyday lives...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Of course, I choose to see the use of the word "men" above in the generic sense, to encompass all women, and men of every race and creed as well. I hope that each of you who'd like will share what you're doing today to celebrate. I'm doing laundry, (always an adventure), gardening, cleaning and cooking the recipe below for a few people tonight, before enjoying the fireworks from a nearby golf course. For decades, I always wound up working today. Thank goodness, not this holiday.

Shrimp with pan-roasted sweet red peppers, salsa, potatoes and fresh basil:
Ingredients:
1lb. peeled, deveined shrimp
1 whole sweet red pepper, julienned and seeded
1/4 c. of salsa (hotness is your choice)
1/2 lb. red potatoes, sliced and gently par-boiled
julienned fresh basil
s & p to taste
squeeze of lemon juice
dry white wine (optional, to taste)
enough olive oil to cover bottom of heavy duty stainless steel sauté pan

Method:
Heat olive oil in bottom of stainless steel sauté pan on medium heat.

Add sliced potatoes and heat till they begin to crisp up, gently turning with spatula.

Add peppers and sauté until soft, add salsa and after all is heated through, carefully remove from pan leaving most of olive oil in pan.

Place veggies from pan into a bowl and cover to keep hot on the side.

Immediately add shrimp to hot pan, scraping bottom of pan to remove any tasty veg particles left, squeeze lemon juice over all and add wine as sautéing, gently moving shrimp around until pink. Add fresh basil, s & p to taste, and serve atop vegetable mixture immediately. Enjoy.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

From the other side of the pond, I wish you all a very happy 4th of July!!! :D

BTW I visited last year in Rochefort's shipyard (yes the same Rochefort as in Demy's picture!), a XVIIIth century Frigate, L'Hermione. The very boat that La Fayette took to cross the Atlantic to your shores. They are rebuilding an exact replica using the same technics as in the XVIIIth century. The result is pretty amazing. Have a look:
ImageImage
They started in 1997. I saw the very beginning with an empty hull. They are now approaching the time of the launch. The maiden voyage should be the same one as the original La Fayette journey. More details here:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... MODEL1.jpg
http://www.hermione.com/en/
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Great pictures Christine. They remind me of the Tall Ships when they assembled in New York Harbor back in "76 for the Bicentennial. If you haven't already, and ever get the chance, make sure to visit Boston (Charlestown, actually) and visit the USS Constitution (aka "Old Ironsides,") the oldest ship still on active duty with the United States Navy (commissioned in 1797.) Have a great weekend!

As always,

Hollis
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

How terrific that you shared your photos, Ann. Thank you so much. I live near several spots "where Lafayette slept" when he returned for a friendly visit in 1824 in old age. He was a fascinating, contradictory figure in both our revolutions.

Coincidentally, just yesterday I finally saw The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967)! I love the colors, the dancing and the lyrical music, and most of all, the bittersweet sight of Gene Kelly at the end of his incredible trailblazing career; still able to make me smile when he grinned or moved so well. It was a bit startling to hear him speaking French in his own endearingly scratchy voice, but singing in someone else's voice! At least it was still him dancing! I did feel a pang when I watched him and Françoise Dorléac together, realizing that he had years of life ahead of him, but she, only months.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Re: Happy Fourth of July!

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote: Beloved British & Canadian SSO members: Sorry for reminding all of us of our little dustups over the centuries, but thanks for the beauty and clarity of the English language and the legal traditions you passed on to us--even though we don't always like to admit it, our application of those ideas respecting the individual, minorities, and the ingenuity we cherish does have roots with you. Though there are days when I've despaired or facetiously think we should ask the queen and commonwealth for forgiveness, it is a happy holiday in our country, despite all our flaws and problems.
All so very true, my dear M; allow me to add just a soupcon of intriguing irony to your observations: while tipping a pro-alliance hat crost the briney Atlantic to all our UK friends & cousins (whilst still sniggering up our baseball-jersey sleeves over the whole Boston Harbor thing), let us pause to consider the plight of poor Flora MacDonald, perhaps the greatest example of getting pretzeled-up with the unrequited compulsion to "do the right thing".
Flora first pops to the historic fore in the unlikely role as the savior of the fugitive Bonnie Prince Charlie; following the massacre & route of the Highland forces of Charles Edward Stuart II, last of the Stuart Princes, on the blood-drenched field of Culloden, Bonnie Charlie flees for his life before a tightening dragnet of nearly 10,000 pillaging, musket-armed redcoats and a short-tempered Duke of Cumberland, sworn to an itnerary of attrition and vowing vengeance of Biblical proportions.
With the crown-sterling reward for Charles' head climbing every day, and practically every 3rd croft in the Highlands in smoking ruin, the fleeing prince is hid in caves, and pictish ruins, and haymounds, and secret hill-forts by the most daring of his surviving clan chiefs, until he lands in the entourage of Lady Flora MacDonald, who hatches the delightful skullduggery of disguising him as one of her maids [and you always thought he just had alcohol & conceit issues!], and so gets him safely boated over to the Isle of Skye (failte, Moira!), and from there, rowed-out to board a French frigate bound for Paris.
As one can imagine, when the dust of all this clears and the facts go public, Flora becomes extremely unpopular, virtually overnight, and winds up locked away for a nice stay in the Tower of London, and ulitmately charged with all manner of treason before the law court of George II.
Thanks to her gender, and her noble birth, and some very convenient acquaintances among the elite of the politically neutral Lowlanders of Scotland, along with some carefully coached laments by her of remorse, & pennance, & newfound loyalty to the English Parliament, her sentence was commuted to a short return stay in the Tower, and a return home.
Seeking to make sure that she & hubby (a Scot whom History has very little to remark on) stay out of socio-political strife in their bonny Highlands, Flora opts to sell off all their holdings, and head for those sunny American Colonies, wherein they establish a happy, bountiful farm in the Carolinas.
Ahh, but 20 years later, why, what's this, the smoke of rebellion, wafting into her life again, tempting her to further fame and ruin?!!
Not Flora! She'd learnt that hard, hard lesson - she'd nae again defy the power of the British Crown, to whose merciful pardon she owed her very life!
So Flora becomes a champion for Loyalist causes, speaking out against rebel alliances all across her region, holding pro-English rallies and parades, even attempting to persuade her neighbors to turn over their long-guns to the local British garrison, and going nowhere in public without her high-staffed Union Jack.
All for naught: Flora & spouse barely had time to liquidate their assets and board ship for Britain before angry, pro-Revolution neighbors arrived to help see them off.
Safely home on Sarum's sacred shore, these two MacDonalds fade from the World's attention pretty swiftly . . but if there's one thing that I'd bet hard money on, it's this: that Flora took much comfort in staying home, and staying away from all political discussions!
:roll: :? :roll: :? :roll: :? :roll: :? :roll:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Too bad Flora MacDonald didn't do what so many like minded colonials did trying to survive and still follow their consciences in those tough times:
Move to Canada!

The land of the maple leaf managed to find a peaceful way to live with their British cousins, gain their independence, and become a rich bouillabaisse blending many cultures. Vive le Canada, indeed!

Thanks very much for the filling in the history of a character I've heard of but never knew masses about prior to this, Klonnie.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Have a very happy holiday :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I know i'm a bit late but I hope all my American friends on here are having a happy and safe 4th of July.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Happy fourth of July!!!

I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately. I have been busy holidaying, and haven't had much time to spend on the computer. I'm going back home tomorrow though.

Tonight I'm going to have dinner with my family in Michigan, and we're going to watch the fireworks. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You can't be late with 4th of July wishes until after 10:00 p.m. as far as I'm concerned. Most of the holidaying begins with the darkness unless you have a BBQ luncheon and dinner.

Everybody, have a safe and happy holiday.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

moirafinnie wrote:
Coincidentally, just yesterday I finally saw The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967)! I love the colors, the dancing and the lyrical music, and most of all, the bittersweet sight of Gene Kelly at the end of his incredible trailblazing career; still able to make me smile when he grinned or moved so well. It was a bit startling to hear him speaking French in his own endearingly scratchy voice, but singing in someone else's voice! At least it was still him dancing! I did feel a pang when I watched him and Françoise Dorléac together, realizing that he had years of life ahead of him, but she, only months.
I felt that too. I watched it for the first time a month or so ago, I've had to watch it again since, I'm very taken with Young Girls of Rochefort. I quite like George Chakaris in it too. I far preferred his character than Bernardo in West Side Story.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin