Bob Dylan

Chit-chat, current events
inglis

Post by inglis »

Dylan is a great writer of songs . One of my first songs I learned to play on guitar was Hard Rain's Gonna Fall,reading his Dylan Chronicles is little different as he is all over the place in this book which is not to say that he is not a great book writer but it does keep you jumping with your mind .One minute he's watching Wagon Train( loved that show btw) and then he's talking about different books he's read and then we are onto Hank Snow.Glad he looked upon old Hank as the best story writer of song. I was lucky enough to see Dylan 04,05 not sure but I do know that it was thee best concert I had ever seen .We had great seats up close they were free tickets.I can still recall the day my husband called me at home and asked me if I wanted to go see Dylan he had free tickets .Well let me tell you there was a Heloooo are you kidding.I am so glad I got a chance to see him as he is probably most influencial artist of our time.
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Free Dylan tickets? You Canadians are very generous!
inglis

Post by inglis »

Mr. O'Brady wrote:Free Dylan tickets? You Canadians are very generous!
Hi Mr O'Brady.ya the ticktes were from a workmate and his mom worked at a radio station and the son could not go so he asked my hubby if he wanted the tickets .It was an exciting day to say the least. I have a friend I work with and this guy follows Dylan when ever he is touring.He is going to 2 concerts this year alone,he is a die hard fan but there are many of us I guess. The Beatles are my favorite .I have some photo's of them when they got off at our airport back in 1964.These shots are incrediable. I met the photographer who took them and he had the original black and white slides and he let me take them and make prints of of them .He worked for CBC which is our Candian broadcasting company in Canada.I still can't believe the guy let me take them to make prints ,he was not at all worried about handing them over .I at the time worked for a photography company which is big in Canada.Black's Photo.I still have them and I mounted them on plaques .They look great .It is 5 shots and they are coming down the stairs and greeting fans .There is a great shot of the Pan am stewardess with them . When I talked to this guy he said that his boss said the Beatles are landing at the Winnipeg Airport go down and get some pictures .He said little did he know at the time what he was going down to take pictures of .He had no idea about their impact and how big they would become. Pretty wild eh!
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Wow! Does Antiques Roadshow ever visit Canada? My eldest brother had an early hand-signed photo of the Beatles, but I have no idea where it went when he died.
inglis

Post by inglis »

Mr. O'Brady wrote:Wow! Does Antiques Roadshow ever visit Canada? My eldest brother had an early hand-signed photo of the Beatles, but I have no idea where it went when he died.
Yes Antiques Roadshow does come to Canada.They have had a few shows inToronto Halifax ,they have been here as well as for other cities I don't know .I am sure a hand signed authentic Beatle signatures would be worth something.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Bob Dylan is a favorite...I wasn't quite old enough to appreciate his lyrics when they were new, but I appreciate them now.

I think "Tangled Up in Blue" is one of the most romantic songs ever written. Bob said it's the song that took him 10 years to live and 2 years to write.

When I feeling cheated by the world, I like to sing along with "Positively 4th Street" out the window of my car on the highway. (Don't worry - no one sees me. You can drive alone forever here.)
"..I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is
To see you!"...

I saw Dylan a couple of times with the Grateful Dead. The last time I thought I was going to have to hurdle myself over the fence to get in because city traffic had delayed us and it took forever at the gate. With ticket prices these days, you do not want to miss one minute of a performance. He was in a white top hat.

His Ultimate Collection was a gift that I've greatly enjoyed. I used to play the ballads section in the car for the twins to fall asleep to. Once, I was going to skip "Knocking on Heaven's Door" because it sort of seemed creepy and one of the twins (age 4 then) woke up and said, "Hey, I liked-ed that song!" Proving that Dylan has something for everyone.

Any sightings or concert stories from others?

Birdy
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Knockin' On Heaven's Door has always been my favorite post-'60s Dylan song.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to watching PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID. (I know, I know -- I'm arriving very late to the party.) When that song appeared as Slim Pickens was walking to his death, well, I was in tears. And Dylan's acting performance was quite strong as well.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Bob Dylan--lyrics are genius, singing puts me in mind of a donkey's bray. But a very sensitive, perceptive, articulate donkey...

And speaking of geniuses (not donkeys) Thank you Dewey for the Yankovic video! I needed the laugh. I wonder how long it took him to come up with all the palindromes?
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde