Bob Dylan

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Bob Dylan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

We're sat here watching a documentary on Bob Dylan. When it comes to films and music we tend to live on different plains but we do meet in the 1960's particularly with music. The Beatles we've both loved since very young, Bob Dylan we discovered much later on but we adore his music, we have loads of his albums. Was there anyone cleverer with lyrics than Dylan?

I guess I'm interested in hearing your opinions of Dylan. I know some of you will have grown up with Dylan and the controversy he provoked.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi Allison -
Of all the significant American recording artists who came into prominence during the 1960s, Bob Dylan remains my own personal favorite. Beginning with his second LP, "The Freewheelin Bob Dylan" in 1963, through "John Wesley Harding" in late 1967, Dylan created an incredibly impressive body of music. "Highway 61 Revisited" (1965) and "Blonde on Blonde" (1966) remain two of the most sensational and influential rock albums of the decade; "Freewheelin..." and "The Times They Are A-Changin" (both 1963) each contain some of the most devastating songs of social protest ever written and recorded; "Another Side of..." (1964) is a brutal and brilliant rejection of social protestations and "Bringing It All Back Home" (1965) signaled a new and exciting shift from folk to rock.
With the exception of "Blood On The Tracks" (1974) his later LPs lacked the charismatic spark that characterized his 60s work, but interesting tracks can be found on virtually all of his LPs.
Glad you're a fan, too!
Here's Bob at the 1964 Monterey Folk Festival introducing
"Mr. Tambourine Man" for the first time...
[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Notable albums for me would be Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, John Wesley Harding, Blood on the Tracks, Slow Train Coming, Infidels. I do have some issues with his inventive background and social climbing.

As for lyrics, he was certainly good at them, but I can think of others with similar talent--notably John Lennon who refused to meet Bob (he'd had previous chances) until he felt he'd written lyrics that could stand alongside Dylan's body of work. Interestingly, it was Dylan who introduced the Beatles to pot by producing a joint in their hotel room. When he saw the horrified look on their faces, he explained that he thought they were smokers from the lines in I Want to Hold Your Hand. Apparently Bob had mistaken the chorus "I can't hide", and thought the lyric instead said "I get high". :P

Since this is a film forum, perhaps we should talk about his work and role in Sam Peckinpah's excellent western Pat Garret & Billy the Kid (1973).

[youtube][/youtube]
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Alison,

I think that the only other artists I might put in the same class with Bob Dylan would be Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. Their lyrics have always moved me very deeply and it's eminently clear that they write straight from the heart. I'm assuming that we're limiting this to the rock/folk genre? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I hope all is well at your end of the line!

Your friend,

Hollis
Last edited by Hollis on July 28th, 2008, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Joni is indeed a master of prose.8) I think it's unfortunate that her albums and work are not quite as well known as Dylan's. I personally feel she's just as good with words and a better songwriter.

Two other artists I'll throw in the ring for lyrical prowess are Tom Waits and Kate Bush.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

And Don and Phil Everly!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

So non sensical, but brilliant.

Johnny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
You better duck down the alley way
Lookin' for a new friend
The man in the coon-skin cap
In the big pen
Wants eleven dollar bills
You only got ten

Maggie comes fleet foot
Face full of black soot
Talkin' that the heat put
Plants in the bed but
The phone's tapped anyway
Maggie says that many say
They must bust in early May
Orders from the D. A.
Look out kid
Don't matter what you did
Walk on your tip toes
Don't try "No Doz"
Better stay away from those
That carry around a fire hose
Keep a clean nose
Watch the plain clothes
You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows

Get sick, get well
Hang around a ink well
Ring bell, hard to tell
If anything is goin' to sell
Try hard, get barred
Get back, write braille
Get jailed, jump bail
Join the army, if you fail
Look out kid
You're gonna get hit
But users, cheaters
Six-time losers
Hang around the theaters
Girl by the whirlpool
Lookin' for a new fool
Don't follow leaders
Watch the parkin' meters

Ah get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
Please her, please him, buy gifts
Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
Look out kid
They keep it all hid
Better jump down a manhole
Light yourself a candle
Don't wear sandals
Try to avoid the scandals
Don't wanna be a bum
You better chew gum
The pump don't work
'Cause the vandals took the handles
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Here, in case anyone wants to sing along to the above:
[youtube][/youtube]
And, for anyone who missed it, Weird Al Yankovic's hilarious parody:
[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I know this ain't The Record Party, but..

A Simple Twist of Fate
[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

I'm glad there are fellow fans of Dylan on this forum.

I love Subterrenean Homesick Blues, thanks for the lyrics Brenda, they are so good.

My favorite albums are Highway 61 Revisited, Bringing it all Back Home, Blonde on Blonde, John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline and Blood on the Tracks.

Some of my favorite songs, Lay Lady Lay, Desolation Row, Lie a Rolling Stone, Just Like A Woman, Sara, I'll Be Your Baby Tonight, The Times they are a Changing.

Hollis, you don't need to limit your comments regarding Dylan at all. I'm happy for any opinions.

It's a great story about Bob Dylan mistaking the lyrics for I Want To Hold Your Hand. From what I know about the Beatles, Dylan and The Beach Boys were the two aacts they most admired.

Dylan doesn't have a massive following over here. It tends to be real music lovers who are into him. Our CD collection is vast. We have 12 of his CDs. Strangely we got to him via The Beach Boys and the perennial student favorite The Doors.

We have a Joni Mitchell album Blue, I haven't really listened to her though. I must.

I've now got some housework to tackle. I'm going to put Bob on the CD player and sing along. Another great thing about Bob, he's great to sing along to.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
bdp

Post by bdp »

Dylan, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, Neil Young - I wish I could write like all those guys.

Kate Bush is her own category - even John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) said that Kate is 'f*cking brilliant' and you know HE doesn't hand out the compliments lightly.

btw my favorite versions of Desolation Row and Visions of Johanna are on the Live 1966 CD, the acoustic disc where it's just Bob and an acoustic guitar. Dylan once said that one singer with a guitar cold blow a whole army off the stage if he knew what he was doing and he certainly proves it on that set. Of course that was the tour where he went electric, and the second disc is the electric half of the show complete with audience resistance and disruptions.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Blue (1970), is a terrific album. Here's a sampling of Joni from TRP Archives:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis/view ... =7286#7286
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Ah, the old "Subterranean Homesick Blues!" How about a little "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35?"

Mumbling blithely,

Hollis
charliechaplinfan

I love both those tracks. Another favorite Bob Dylan's 115th Dream I love that song, the fact he laughs before it starts just adds to it's charm.

I just remember whe we first bought some Dylan albums (which did when we went to California) was I kept thinking 'Did he write this too' seems he wrote so many songs that other covered.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

1. Bringing It All Back Home
2. Blonde On Blonde
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. The Other Side of Bob Dylan
5. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

How can one criticize a self-created legend who lives up to his self-created legend? It ain't me, babe. And what a great DJ!!!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles