sad /happy

Chit-chat, current events
inglis

sad /happy

Post by inglis »

My Kids go back to school Wed. I am having alot of mixed emtions about it .On one hand I am happy to see them go but on the other hand there is a part of me that will miss them terriably .We had a really nice Summer this year .One of the best in a long time lots of family time and lots of camping .It just went too fast. I am happy that I will be back at work and bringing in more moola. I stay at home in the Summer months and there is just one income coming in so its good that I am back to work .I will look forward to my cups of tea in the afternoons with no kids and some TCM movies to watch but gee is it going to be quiet here in my house .Alas I have our hampster Sammy to keep me company :lol: Hope all of you had a nice Summer, Cheers Carol
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Carole,
Though I don't have children of my own, I do notice at this time of year that when I see parents and kids in public, there is often an edge to their behavior and exchanges. I sometimes wonder if that Staples ad using "It's the most wonderful time of the year" (seen below) might not be in the back of the moms and dads minds. Tonight was the last night before school starts again here locally. The street seemed to be alive with kids restlessly trying to grab some gusto before going back to priso--er, I mean, school.

While I can understand how you might miss their presence while they are away during the day, I can remember one period when I was a kid when my mother didn't have a job. It was a big comfort to come home from school and find her there. Now I realize that she was probably going stir crazy and worried about money, but I do cherish that time. I hope that your kids have a chance to tell you that someday.
Here's that funny video as a goof.
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Carol;

Thanks for sharing that with us; and I am either "happy", or "sad", to tell you, it doesn't necessarily end with their school years!
My eldest son, Wes, has been making his home in Virginia since November of '06, but has been up here for visits, with his own young family, for each of the weddings & funerals that have had my clan strapped to fortune's anvil since early Spring this year; and although it's always really great to see him and his lovely bride & daughter, and despite feeling so very much pride & satisfaction that he's working so hard for so bright a new future, I feel just devastated each & every time that Goodbye Time rolls around, and always end up sobbing morosely out on the front porch & waving furiously as they drive away South.
Then I sit down and ball like some big stupid kid.
I don't know about this parenting stuff; every year now, for goin' on the past thirty, it's defined more & more of my life path, and the evolution of my identity in the World; but, ya know, I sure can understand why a lot of folks just plain choose not to.
A lotta days, it's as much barbed wire as it is ambrosia.
Carol, you enjoy those kids o' yours, and indulge yourself therein just as you please, no input from elsewhere needed.
Hell, give 'em a hug for me; there's never enough of that goin' around!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My Ian turns 21 tomorrow. I can remember sending him off to kindergarten just like it was yesterday. His uncle asked him "When do you get out of school?" Showing wisdom beyond his years he answered "After college."

Well, he and my Maureen are in college. Lord, it went by fast. The little girl who used to hug me and tell me she needed some "Daddy time" still whispers a "Yea!" when I tell her I love her. It's good to be the dad.

Pay attention or you'll miss it. It won't take long.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
inglis

support

Post by inglis »

Moira , Chris, Klondike
THanks for all your words of wisdom .I will tell you its been tough and we decided that when we had kids I would stay at home and Terry thats my husband would work .The school job was a great break as it allows me to work everyday and yet be at home when my kids get home .Thats how it was when I was small .My Mom was there when I came home and because of that I was instilled with many values which I hope I am passing to my kids. We have sacrificed alot and gone without so I could be a stay at home Mom and I tell you I cherish it all and would do over again in a heartbeat .I was feeling really low yesterday and you guys coming on here and saying all that you said has l lifted my spirit ..Thankyou for anaswering my thread .
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

My eldest went back to school on Tuesday, my little lad started preschool today, he's 3, we start them young. I still have him with me most of the day. I admit it's bittersweet, they needed to get back to a routine but i do miss them.

Inglis, I know where you come from with your job. I gave up full time work once I had kids. I only work 2 days, the money's too good and needed to give up. They spend the time with their grandparents. It's a balance and it works pretty well.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
inglis

kids school

Post by inglis »

charliechaplinfan wrote:My eldest went back to school on Tuesday, my little lad started preschool today, he's 3, we start them young. I still have him with me most of the day. I admit it's bittersweet, they needed to get back to a routine but i do miss them.

Inglis, I know where you come from with your job. I gave up full time work once I had kids. I only work 2 days, the money's too good and needed to give up. They spend the time with their grandparents. It's a balance and it works pretty well.
Hi Charlie.At least your kids are with their Grandparents and thats good its still family .
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't know what I would have done if family were unavailable. I'm not against nurseries, in some ways I think they can be really good and I'd never criticise anyone who made that their choice but I'm not sure I could have handed them over to strangers. To know they're with family is a comforting thought when I'm dashing off to work in the morning, I know they'll not be allowed to go out without eating breakdast or having their teeth cleaned etc.

It is a dilemma work versus parenting. I've tried full time parenting but found I needed to do something else too, so I started back at work 2 days. The balance is just right anymore days and I'd feel I was missing out plus the house would be a tip :roll: That's the key I suppose getting the balance right.

When I took my daughter to school on Tuesday all the new children were starting in reception class, they looked so small. My son starts next year and he will just have turned 4. My I'll cry that day.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The one thing I can testify to is when I, as a grandparent, babysit from birth, I have a special bond with the three that I did babysit for than the three I did not. There is just a very finite difference. Three of them know grandma loves them every bit as much as mommy does, yet the other three know I love them, but not to that monumental extent.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My grandmother helped keep my son when he was young and up until he was in middle school. It was one of the great love stories I have known.

My son would spend the week with her because he didn't want to come home. They stayef up well into the night watching TV or playing games. He got ice cream for breakfast (that is what great-grandmothers do now and then.) She helped to teach him how to read and count money do math and all sorts of other things. He was so ready for school.

They loved each other and I think he was a primary reason for her hanging around until she was 93. She had three other great granchildren, including my daughter but they understood.

Boy, did they have fun.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."