'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by JackFavell »

Oh no! I hope it comes back on Nan! Is it on all channels, or just TCM?

You guys be careful out there, not only driving, but shoveling. We always try to shovel hlafway through the storm, just so we can get most of it up without killing ourselves. But if it's really blowing and stormy out, that's not really safe either. I hope you are well stocked up....
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'm wishing ALL you Kansans a safe night. Please be careful.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

People in KC KS are extremely sensitive that one doesn't confuse the two cities

I might very well be confusing them. Which one is the larger city? Which produced Charlie Parker and his jazz cronies? What about the baseball team? I never really thought about this!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Red, Kansas City, Missouri is home to The Royals, The Chiefs, "18th and Vine" as in goin' to, and here's a short bio:
The historic 18th and Vine Jazz District is a fitting tribute to what put Kansas City on the map...our world famous Jazz and Negro Leagues Baseball. The district, which was resurrected in the late 1990's, is home to the American Jazz Museum, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, and the Gem Theater. With great restaurants and clubs like the Blue Note jam sessions and great acts abound. One thing is for sure... --there's always something going on at 18th and Vine.
Kansas City, 250 miles due west of St Louis, straddles the state line between Kansas and Missouri. Virtually all its main points of interest are on the Missouri side, where the fountains, boulevards, Art Deco and Mediterranean-style buildings, and the encouraging revitalization of downtown, are welcome features in a Midwestern city.

Kansas City was a convenient staging post for 1830s wagon trains heading west. Its consequent prosperity – and rough-and-tumble "sin city" image – was brought to an abrupt end by the Civil War. However, its fortunes revived in the 1870s, when the railroads brought the boom in meatpacking that was responsible for the development of the huge stockyards, which finally closed down in 1992.

Thanks to political boss Tom Pendergast, an outrageous figure with whom the city had a love-hate relationship, Kansas City's many jazz clubs continued to sell alcohol during Prohibition. As in Chicago and New Orleans, speakeasies, brothels, and gambling dens went hand in hand with superlative jazz – and, to a lesser extent, blues – spawning the careers of Count Basie, Duke Ellington, and, in the Fifties, Charlie Parker. KC's resurgent jazz scene, fine restaurants, professional football and baseball teams, and theme parks help make it a popular short-break destination.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I could listen to Charlie Parker all day! Mind blowing bee-bop.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

knitwit45 wrote:Kansas City was a convenient staging post for 1830s wagon trains heading west
quote]

Hey there neighbor.. I got a rare chance to see a presentation (with a live commentator) at a school I worked at last year and it was ALL about the history of Kansas City and how it went from that whole "wagon train post" thing to what it is today.. and there were some really amazing photos from the 1800's of the river market area.. and some of the earliest bridges too.. along with a lot of the early landmarks.. some that are not ever AROUND anymore.

Despite how "dry" that might sound.. to give you a hint for how INTERESTING it all was.. ha... I was sitting in a room with about 125 third graders (all seated on the floor) for over an hour.. and they were all watching and listening to this old man showing them these pictures (in a slideshow type format) with NO sound except HIS voice telling them all about it. and the point is.. they were 125 3rd graders.. it was over an hour long.. and they were LISTENING. ha. :lol:

I have lived here for over thirty years now and I never realized Kansas City 'city" history was such a way cool topic.. but it is!! Who knew??? So much of the city's "histoic" point of view has gotten lost with all the new construction over the last 20 yrs, or at least it seems that way to me. (But who am I to say.. ha. I have only seen as much as the average 3rd grader on that topic, ha)

RR.. At one time.. the name "Kansas City" was much easier to define (by either Missouri or Kansas) but now it has also become a more "generic" term too.. for the whole surrounding area. There are NUMEROUS cities (and several counties too) that all group together to be what most people think of when you hear the word "Kansas City" We are so close together now.. because of the way the highways and the shopping and housing sort of link us.. as one big "blob" ha... but if you start in the southern most part of what most folks think of for KC.. and drive all the way north.. or if you start as far west as most think of for KC.. and drive East.. it could still be about a 45 minute to 1hr drive (highway speed) to get there. At one time I guess KC was just a little "cow town" ha. but what can we say.. I guess we're a big Cow town now. ha. :lol:

Meanwhile back to the weather.. The forecast for Kansas City (and the surrounding area) another 8-12" of SNOW (after the FOOT of snow we just got last week!!) Agghh..where is that rotten ground hog.. I'd like to have a few words with him right about now... :roll:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ro, this presentation you saw sounds a lot like the exhibits at the Kansas City museum . They have wonderful artifacts. KCMO schools had field trips to the Museum for third and fifth grade classes. The third graders got to crawl thru an "igloo" and pet a stuffed seal...that thing was pretty ratty, but everyone loved it. Take the kidling there some time, you both will enjoy it.

I think the groundhog headed to Arizona......
Batten down the hatches, stay warm, and STAY SAFE! The city is asking people to stay home unless absolutely necessary.
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Pretty Windy today in Emerald City ... we expected to have gusts up to 25-35 miles winds occasionally today ... My first significant windy day during the Winter Season. This winter has been unseasonably warm and nice. About 5-7 degrees warmer than normal. It's like Fall extended another 3 months of which I normally get about 4-6 inches of snow ... so far in fall and winter season ... I got about less than inch of snow.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't what's happening in Ranchipur, but we sure have the rains in Kentucky!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hey, ChiO,
we're sending you a little something, since you were saying you hadn't had snow....don't want you to feel left out :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

When you're done with it, PLEASE DON'T SEND IT BACK!!!!!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

It's at 1.5-2 inches now. Funny. The news is reporting that it could be 3-6 inches as if the Apocalypse is at hand. Before this recent string of mild Winters, 3-6 inches would have folks sighing in relief that it's not 8-12 inches.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nan, you OK out there? I'm hearing about snow plows stuck in the roads, and 50,000 without power.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

with last Thursday's storm (about 10 inches) and today's stinker, we've got about 18 inches of snow on the ground. Thing is, this snow is so wet and heavy, as it hits the ground, it compacts...so no telling how much we actually have...

the lights flickered a couple of times around 5 am (yes, when the Apocalypse is due, it's hard to sleep) but we are still ok. Not sure about Rohanka, she is on the other side of the state line, a bit further south and east of me, and I think she got hit harder... :shock:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

She's OK so far, I've been in touch. No power outages or anything, thank goodness, but she says the power lines are even sagging under the weight of the snow, and they lost some trees in the back yard. She is lucky and has a gas stove, so she's cooking away, and they have all the supplies laid in, just in case.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

All is well on this end of town, neighbor Nancy.. though there was a report of a building that had the roof cave in not too far from where we are. OH.. and we did not lose any trees.. but we did lose some branches. The power lines are all sagging.. but so far, only a few flickers. The power has stayed on throughout.. and yes.. ha.. we are just eating and relaxing.. and goofing around. ha. Overall it is just a slushy, slippery, snowy mess out there so we are just happy to be home from work and taking it easy.. But still.. I do confess.. it IS a lot of fun to be out and about to play in (so long as you don't have to go anywhere) The QT and the kidling DID get to go out for some fun earlier today.. I am not sure if these pics will post on here or not (I don't remember ever posting any here before, but will give it a try.. hope they come through)

This was our back deck after the snow LAST week.. Amos the Cocker Spaniel is NOT too wild about the snow...

Ha.. but HERE you see the snow THIS week.. and well.. if the QT and the KIDLING are out there playing.. he finally decided HE had to venture out too.. you can see the difference from last week's snow fall and this one just looking at the picture)

one of our trees out back by the shed..

our apple tree and the power lines.. both are looking a bit "saggy"

Here are the QT and the Kidling having a "snow angel" contest.. I tried to get an "after"picture of their angels.. but the snow was too deep you just sort of lose your perspective looking at it from the photo.