'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by JackFavell »

Chris I hope you are OK! I hope you have some heartwarming films there in your collection.

PT, it hasn't started here in Connecticut yet, but I am getting excited! It's our first snowfall of the year, just in time for Christmas.

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Lynn:

Every time I go to mail you a brownie I eat it. I'm awful that way. I think my bride took a picture or two. I'll see if I can get them on here tomorrow, At this time it is still snowing - almost 24 hours. We are on target for over 20" and in some places might be the third or fourth biggest in history.

JF and PT:

Good luck. The snow is a little heavy so be careful.

Staying warm and wishing we were all stranded together.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It started snowing at about 1:30 pm, and by 3 pm it was a blizzard. It's still coming down, and it looks like we've got at least 6 inches so far. Very windy, blowing drifts all over the place.

I suppose it's just as well for NYC that this happened on the weekend. Having to negotiate public transportation in this mess would be very trying. It's supposed to stop tomorrow afternoon, and streets and roads will probably be clear by Monday morning. I'm guessing that there will be very little evidence that it snowed at all in Manhattan by Monday morning, even though we'll be knee-deep in the stuff in Brooklyn.

As nasty as it is outside, I still have a little pang when I realize that I no longer have a dog to walk. Our Beautiful Maggie loved the snow, as outdoor-type dogs do.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

to all of you who are having snow....Be SAFE!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

One of our neighbors has a golden retriever and yesterday, when we had 6 or 8 inches it was out there having the time of its life. Rolling, jumping, barking at us filled its time for awhile. We have dachshunds - they won't be out until late January.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

How much snow so far, Chris?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

mm - Hope you are well! I wish we were all snowed in together too! Can you imagine the party we could have? :D

My little 16 year old poodle went outside at 12:30 and came back in looking like a giant cauliflower, there was so much snow on him! He was not amused. He was having trouble seeing his way back to the door with all that white outside.

Then this morning at 6:00 I went to let him out and realized I couldn't get the back door open.... snow had drifted in front of it AND the front door. It was just as well because my little Tippy is only about 8 inches tall and white, and he would have dropped off into the 2 foot snowdrifts and that would have been the end of him.

My daughter took two steps outside (after dad shoveled the snow away from the door) and promptly fell flat on her face in a big snowbank. She is still playing outside, slightly disappointed that there is no packing snow.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Well, according to the NY Times, NYC has received about eleven inches of snow, but to our east, Long Island has received twenty-five inches of snow, their deepest snowfall since the 1940s. :o
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

From Austin, Texas... Sunday, Dec 20th. I left the house at 4 a.m. for cat-breakfast fishing, my normal time. It was cool-ish, but still - low 40's? And clear. These past weeks, I've seen a paucity of carp (my preferred 'breakfast' for our park cats) but more white-bass, so fine... the cats don't seem to mind, and at least they're not demanding tartar sauce or lemon wedges. Whew... (I hate it when they give me that "Where's the bernaise sauce" look of theirs.)

Sunrise found us at the picnic grounds, in sweaters and our fingers definitely enjoyed the hot mugs. Thirty minutes after sunrise, sweaters were shed and the 'parade' of families walking to church had light jackets on some, obviously selected because the walk back would be in much warmer weather, and the less to carry, the better. Which it was. It may only reach 65f today (18c). If winds come up, we might have kite-flying.

That's about as much fun as we can have in this weather. You can send half of your snow to us any day, any time. I'll merrily ship our days to you!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

We are having snow too but it's so unusual these days. My daughter has only made one snowman before, my son has never made one and they are 7 and 4. Because it is so unusual here people panic. When we went for our regular Saturday shop yesterday the supermarket was full of elderly pensioners obviously frightened that they were going to be snowed in for weeks. It is nice to be snowed in when you have nowhere to go. Our snow is about 3 inches deep. Charlie the kitten loves it, he's sat outside for ages batting the flakes as they came down. The kids went out, made their snowman and came back in compaining at how cold they were, like they didn't expect the snow to be so cold.

In America does anyone ever say 'It's too cold for snow' it's often quoted here much to my surprise because it's always blooming cold when it snows.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I found myself saying that just a couple of days ago, when the temperature was down to 12 degrees at the bus stop in the morning - but I begin to think it is a wives tale that snow can't come when the temperature is low. It feels blooming cold here today at 29 degrees Faherenheit, and I am sure it was colder last night when the snow was coming down!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It is cold here but somehow it adds to the feeling of Christmas.

I don't know about you Jack, our kids school has closed for Christmas. The last few weeks have been all about Christmas and they are so excited. Joe keeps asking 'is he coming tonight?' 'not tonight' we say 'then he must be coming tomorrow' says Joe. He doesn't have a full concept of time, I haven't kept a firm eye on him with his advent calendar, I thought now he could count he would understand the concept of one a day. It seems he's eaten them faster to help Santa on his way, so now he's no chocolates and Santa still hasn't come.

Here we are with 4 days still to fill before Christmas. Their excitement rubs off though.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Your story of little Joe made me laugh and laugh. He sounds so cute! But it can be trying when they ask and ask.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

17.5" in Baltimore. This is one time I'm really happy I live in the city in a walkable neighborhood.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I got more in Pasadena though not much more. We got about 20" of snow. Could only dig out one car. My back just won't take more than 20-30 minutes when the snow is this heavy.
Chris