'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by moira finnie »

Please excuse an ignorant question, but do you have adequate heating in California? Like a fireplace? Bonfire? A cat to keep you warm?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

No fireplace, no cat, as for adequate heat, I have to fight with my roommate to turn the heat on.

Maybe she wouldn't be so adamant if there was snow on the ground? :roll:
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Layering might help. Maybe a hat in the house too? Sounds pretty nippy to be going the no-heat route.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Definitely doing the layering because overnight the temps drop lower.

When I was home for the holidays with MrC, the nighttime temps were in the low 30s.

But he understood what a heater was for and had no qualms about using it.

Have a cat you can loan me?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I must admit I don't like heat, either, and don't use it in my bedroom no matter how cold it is. My comforter keeps me warm, but an electric blanket can be useful too.

My mother's remedy -- a cloth pouch filled with feed corn, heated in the microwave, placed against the soles of the feet in bed. Supposed to warm up the entire body. And supposedly rice can be used in place of feed corn, but she hasn't tried that yet so cannot vouch for it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lzcutter wrote:Have a cat you can loan me?
Will this guy do? I think you've met before.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I saw a TV episode of "House Hunters" last night and a couple was transferred from Michigan to North Carolina. The wife commented "at least I won't have to wake up to a foot of snow anymore". I had a big laugh.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Aww! What a cutie!

Uncooked rice does work, and it makes a good warm neck wrap if you put it in a sock with a knot tied in the end.

I have a down comforter too, but I won't get out from under it if there is no heat.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

I think I'll pass on Buck E. Cat. From the previous stories of his wild behavior, I think he is better suited to pal around with Tony Curtis as long as Peter Ustinov is no where in the vicinity. I hear he is on the judging committee again this year for Chuck Heston's annual chariot race and Spartacus contest.

My biggest problem with no heat is the inevitable moment you have to get up from under the layers of blankets and face the day. It's darn cold and makes facing the day harder than it should be.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

klondike

Post by klondike »

DATELINE VERMONT - 1/22/11:

The Up News - After a collective 44 " of snow in the first 3 weeks of the year, we've got a reprieve til midweek coming . ..

The Down Side - Starting this Noon, we're plunging down into negative double digits, with no relief expected til suppertime on Monday.

In the words of me ol' Uncle Hollis, "cold enough to keep your stove stuffed, your coffee whiskied & your woman cookin'."
klondike

Post by klondike »

A bright, clear Monday morning here in Ethan Allen Land - and the mercury stands at an energetic minus-21 !
Don't forget your woollies! :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And I thought it was cold here, at a measly minus 3.

IT"S COOOOOOLD!
klondike

Post by klondike »

According to my back-porch thermometer, we're now back "up" to minus-25; our low today, at 12:42pm [in brilliant sunshine], was minus-34.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thinking of each of you and hoping you stay safe and warm. Nancy, I can't believe your pipes burst. THAT proves it, doesn't it. It's a super-winter. After all, it's not like we not used to getting cold at all. But compared to Klon's def of cold...brrrr. At least we are hovering near freezing this week and no more of the wet stuff in sight. And it does make the cats very friendly!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ms B, thank heavens you misunderstood me! The pipes didn't burst, they just froze up for about 20 minutes until I could get them thawed again. That hair dryer trick WORKS! I can't imagine what K deals with on a yearly basis. Better him than me, Gunga Din!!!!
Last edited by knitwit45 on January 26th, 2011, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.