'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by knitwit45 »

Amen.

Oh, thanks Moira, for the first good chuckle of the day! May we all have several today, with clear skies and better temps.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

In the middle of all this mess here in the last six weeks we have two floods at church. A hose from a washer let go in the children's area. Apparently quite a few of our members have wet vacs.

Last week the sprinkler system flooded several rooms and part of the sanctuary. Band practice was noisy as there must have been 10 drying fans running. It was good progress from the disaster. Someone even made a fun little video about it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Chris, I am so sorry to hear about that. But, for whatever reasons, everyone is being cleansed! :)

It is so nice when there is a difficulty like that BECAUSE everyone helps out and the camaraderie helps ease the pain of the moment. During Ike, friends and neighbors here were so supportive of each other. A blessing... :P
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Reports on the local news channels are predicting a blizzard for Tuesday, after icy rain on Monday. Accumulations could be as high as 14" OR MORE.....have I mentioned that I hate winter???? The ice is not expected to threaten power lines, just cars and pedestrians. Sure glad I have lots of movies to watch...and friends here to moan to..... :lol: :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sorry to hear about your church, I thought you were going to say it flooded due to the weather! It's even worse when it's a mechanism that's supposed to HELP you in an emergency....
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I've remained silent on this topic fearing that any comment would jinx what has been a remarkably mild winter.

IT'S OVER!

Three to four inches fell last night. No big deal. Easy shoveling. Then about 90 minutes ago, it started up again and those inches have easily been replaced -- with howling wind. Predictions are that it will be the worst snowstorm since 1967 and the third worst since records started to be maintained.

Mrs. ChiO came home early. Typically, at this time of day, her commute would be 30-45 minutes. It took her 75.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Isn't Chicago getting a blizzard today, ChiO? Better hunker down and stay indoors, huh? :o :shock:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

The sleet started yesterday and has continued off and on all day today. I just got internet back and thought I'd jump on to wish all my friends here at SSO the best in this weather. Lots of people all around us are without power including the entire town where I work and also into Indiana. Unbelievably, we still have power. We are as prepared as can be. I hope all of you and yours stay warm and safe. This may make history, unfortunately!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, Birdy! Stay warm and safe - I will be keeping my fingers crossed for your power to stay on.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The "Blizzard of Oz" started yesterday with icy drizzle, laid down just enough ice cover to make the 12 inches of snow that started at 2 am today even more hazardous. The entire length of I-70, from state line to state line in Missouri has been closed. this is getting scary, folks..

My poor little dogs are refusing to go outside, the snow is deeper than they are tall...I pray we all weather this one safely. Sorry to say, ChiO, but its all moving your way, with further destinations of New York and Boston and points East and North..

Tomorrow the temps are going to be single digits, with wind chills up to double digits below zero. Ms. Birdy, I hope your power remains, and we all stay safe and warm.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yikes! All of you in the midwest take care...
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Nothin' like the ol' 5:30am snowshovelin' to get the old man's blood flowin'. Oh, yeah, we got a blizzard. It was about 20" on the front steps and walk. The sidewalk going north from our walk -- 18"-24". The sidewalk going south -- 18"-1". I think that's a sign of wind and drifting.

Mrs. ChiO is now shoveling from the house to the garage (don't yell at me -- she insisted). Ten bucks says the alley is impassable (the street in front has about 18"-20" and no car tracks).

Lake Shore Drive is closed.

And still it snows.

Signing out from Snowmaggedon and the Snowpocalypse -- ChiO
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I have a 36" chain link fence in the back yard, and snow has drifted to within 3 or so inches from the top of it. ChiO, I truly feel your pain! Speaking of pain, please, please take care, if the storm was as good to you as it was to me, there is ice underneath all of this white stuff, which means it will take forever to melt ...

sitting under the Blizzard of Oz....
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Words of Wisdom from Sue Ann Nivens:

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha!

We don't have 30 inches of snow, but we've got 2 inches of sheet ice. I thought it was quiet during our 20 inch snowstorm - there is not a soul on the roads including Mr. Favell. You know it's bad when he can't even get down the driveway to his car.