'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by knitwit45 »

I tell people the only thing I excel at is being ordinary.
yeah, like diamonds are ordinary.
Smokin' Joe Frazier was ordinary.
The Eiffel Tower is ordinary....

NOT!!!!!!! :D :D :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Glad to hear you are OK, knitty. I watched the Veronica movies that night myself.... speaking of RAVENS.... :D :D :D

And you are anything but ordinary Chris!

Am I showing my age when I say that I just loved Orson Bean?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[b][u][i]knitwit45[/i][/u][/b] wrote:I'm watching the Battle of the Blondes...Veronica Lake is swingin' away, Lana Turner is up next...Lots of thunder and lightning and rain going on outside...
Lana...Veronica??? Yeah, they'd induce weather like that. TCM is showing more Lana Turner this blonde month than any of the other blondes. Interesting...
[b][u][i]Jack Favell[/i][/u][/b] wrote:Am I showing my age when I say that I just loved Orson Bean?
Nah kid. You're showing MY bloody age!!! 'Cuz I remember him:

He was cuter than Alan Alda...but not as cute as Bert Convy.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Those guys were so young! Holy...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

This was the scenery I saw during my walk in Brooklyn's Prospect Park today...or yesterday if you're looking at this tomorrow. It was like Indian Summer here in New York. Probably our last gasp of good weather.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Where'd that snow go? Oh, I know...

Walking home this morning (through no alleys) from the neighborhood Starbucks, the flakes started falling. Time to make certain that the neighbors' snowblowers are in working order so I don't have to buy one.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, we are in for it now. I was lulled into a false sense of security by the indian summer we've been having.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

During the night, we received our first measurable snowfall -- one of the latest in history. High today - 26F. Tomorrow it warms up to 28F. Then a week in the 40s.

I guess Winter is here.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, our daytime temps have not even gotten as low as 37 yet.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

our daytime temps haven't got as HIGH as 37 for the past 10 days.... :shock:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Here in Emerald City, Seattle ... brrr. 27-30 degrees @ 6am in morning ... brr ... driving and meeting a friend for Coffee at Starbucks was a little tricky ... black ice ... took me another 5-7 minutes to get there. My friend and I were both late but safe.

Brr ... it was colder than normal!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Snow in Emerald City Seattle

In the past 5 days we been hit snow and today we hit a snowstorm ... 4 inches fell overnight and another 2-4 inches are expected during today, and another inch overnight ... right now I have 5 inches of snow outside of my Condo and we are 12 degrees colder than normal. I'm been stuck at home for the past three days unable to drive because I live on a steep hill & that's make driving difficult. Fortunately, I been able to go the store and get food and supplies of which it is a good 10 minutes walk and all. So, I have been staying home more than normal, watching too much TCM, Encore, and AMC.

By Thursday Night, temperatures should climb back to normal and according to forecasters ... 12 days of steady rain; of which it is typical around here.

Snow is an event here in Seattle ... and I'm still amazed of the crazy and stupid things that my fellow members do out in the snow driving. Many of them, don't even put chains or traction devices on.

So, I'm staying home in the next day or two and watch more movies ...
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's amazing how relative snow is in an area how one deals with it. Though we get snow often enough in the Balt/DC area there are still people who haven't a clue on how to drive. People run to the grocery store as it we were going to be laid up for a week, regardless of the forecast. We've been known to cancel school on what might happen. Sometimes it turns out there was no snow but they had to be careful. Sometimes the local governments are just dumb.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Mess in the State of Washington

About, 310,000 homes in the State of Washington experienced some form of power outages (I lost power from 7am to 1pm today) and it was a disaster here. Today, we had a significant ice storm (freezing rain) today that's causes Sea-Tac Airport all three runways to shutdown for most of the day; at 4pm they managed to get all three runways operational ... but, hundreds of flights were cancelled. Sea-Tac was shutdown for 12 hours today.

Govenor Gregoire ... declared our State ... a state of Emergency because of the delivery of certain commodities that are needed for this state. I can't remember what it was ... but, allowed our truckers to drive more than normal to ensure those commodities get to their destination.

I have been home (cooped indoors) since Saturday afternoon (Thursday afternoon now) and nursing a cold as well. Watching the news, piles of broken branches from Tacoma up to Bellingham from the ice storm that I told you all about earlier. Tonight to 4am Friday Morning will be tricky around here. They say more freezing rain, snow, and rain (I hate this combo) .. but the good news it should warm up to mid 30's to upper 30's around 4am in the morning.

It been a crazy week here in the Pacific Northwest.

Seattle should be around 45-47 on Friday ... Friday will be a breezy and rainy ... potentially all day.

This will brings floods and rising rivers ... and potentially more problems as the temperatures returns to normal around here.