'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
Rita Hayworth

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:Ro and I went to see Singing in the Rain together.....well, at the same time anyway, she in KC and me in Mystic CT. It was fun knowing she was watching too.

I hope you guys do get together for the next group of movies, it's too bad there isn't one playing this next week to get you out of the 108 degree heat. Good golly!
Wow ... that's hot weather.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

knitwit45 wrote:Hi Ro!!

I'm so glad you are posting again. I've really missed your wit and wisdom..
Next time a TCM movie is showing locally, let's meet! We can ooooh and aaaah together... :D
Hiya Neighbor! It's nice to talk to you again too! That sounds like a lot of fun.. we should try to make that happen. Jackie is right.. we did get to watch SITR together.. ha.. even if we were a gazillion miles apart. It was fun to gab and blab about it all afterward. This way if we actually go TOGETHER.. we can "gab and blab" about it afterward in real time. ha.)

I say we should get some of you folks out this way to join us.. we could have a good ole fashioned family reunion. (and KC is sort of smack dab in the middle of everything.. at least on this continent anyway.. ha) And besides.. we ARE just about the "hottest" vacation spot around right now too! :lol:

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

geez, I didn't need to see that graph.....

Yes, this would be a great place for a 'family reunion'...these folks ARE family!
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Kinda sad, aint it?? :roll: Tonight seems at least a bit cooler INSIDE the house for a change..not a LOT but at least a little.. not sure what it is like outside. ha (too scared to find out) I am thinking this is the last of the "cooler" evenings for a while.. alas..

(PS.. you are right about the family.. Jackie and Miss G and Miss T and I have joked for years that we should go on some tv talk show to say how we are all long lost sisters seperated at birth and only JUST rediscovered one another on a classic movie message board. ha. I bet we have even MORE siblings out there than we first realized, to be sure. ha) :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Out in the Pacific Northwest it's cool, somewhat muggy at times, rain, thunderstorms, sunshine, and high humidity ... not very pleasant at times ... so I have been off and on having a fan on even at nights because it's gets quite balmy around here. This Summer is one of the strangest on record ...

For the record ... I'm not posting any pictures on my (Rita Hayworth) thread - I just don't how to explain it ... it would best to have Moira to explain it all to you. So, my thread remains locked for the time being.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Next time we think it's way too hot, maybe we could thank our lucky stars we weren't in India the other day--though the electronic media in this country hasn't done a very good job of reporting this massive event in the US. According to this news item in The Washington Post, after several parts of the Indian grid went down, "370 million people — more than the population of the United States and Canada combined" were left in the dark, stuck in office buildings, on trains, in elevators, and in hospitals as well as homes in vast areas where the temperatures were in the 90s with 89 percent humidity. The poor, sweltering Indians found that many "businesses were forced to shut for the day. Buildings were without water because the pumps weren’t working. Muslim families were forced to eat their pre-dawn meals by candlelight before beginning their daytime Ramadan fast."
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, and we think we have it bad! I swear I'd have a complete breakdown if I were stuck in an elevator crowded with people in that kind of weather.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My first HOT Day in Emerald (Seattle) City ... at my hometown I hit 93 degrees today and I'm cooked. In the next three-four days it will be in the mid-80's ... I'm trying stay cool!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I hate to say it, kingme, but I have no sympathy for you. We're at 99 percent humidity here in CT, but at least we aren't over 100 degrees, like out in the midwest. How is it out there? Any sign of cooler weather coming?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Forecast says it will only hit 89 today. We're not supposed to go into triple digits this coming week. (although, once it hits mid nineties....no matter what the thermometer says....it's HOT) Did you know the temps reported by the weather bureau are taken in the SHADE??? :shock: :shock:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:I hate to say it, kingme, but I have no sympathy for you. We're at 99 percent humidity here in CT, but at least we aren't over 100 degrees, like out in the midwest. How is it out there? Any sign of cooler weather coming?
Our normal temps is around 70's (below 75) for most of the summer. We do have many cases of 99 and 100 percent humidity out here in WA. We are literally surrounded by water and that keeps it high. Now, I have been in CT ... and I find that East Coast is far worst than West Coast. But, you guys have much warmer temperatures than we do. We have more jet streams, currents, and that's makes it's impossible for the weather people to predict weather here. Now, how often we get 93 degrees out here ... it is a rarity out here and that's why I'm cooked ... we went from 68 degrees to 93 degrees in one day turnaround. We aren't used to it. You guys are. That's is the big difference out here and that alone makes it difficult for us to survive in 90 plus temperatures. Four years ago, we had a heat wave five days of 90 degrees plus weather including one day of 101 .. it broke our record and I was miserable for two weeks because the heat was lingering along.

No signs of cooler weather coming ... in the next 4-5 days ... 7-10 degrees hotter than normal ... today its supposed to hit 88, then 85, 83, and 82. Normally this time of the year ... 68 to 75.

My idea Summer is 72 degrees ... no warmer and no cooler ... our humidity here keeps it warm ... if the temperatures starts to rise to 80 ... everybody complained. We hate hot summers if you are a man/woman over the age of 45 years of age.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well, kingme, 68 to 93 is a huge difference! I'm sorry I was so crabby about it.

I've been feeling like I shouldn't complain when those out in the middle states are suffering so. Not to mention India! Thanks for being patient with me and explaining the situation there. I'm sorry you are miserable, when the humidity rises, it can be brutal in the 90's.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

We tripled in Kentucky a few days ago. I think it was 102.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

worst so far was a week ago, 108. zowie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

zowie.
Some like it Hot!