'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by moira finnie »

What a gyp.

I looked forward eagerly to the promised super "perigee moon" that was touted by everyone from my local weather man to NASA as the "largest moon in appearance in 20 years." Okay, it rose at 7:44pm as promised, but, other than exceptionally bright moonlight last night and a more detailed moonscape visible to this naked eye, it didn't seem all that much closer to earth than usual. Aside from an idle thought that it would not be a good night for the French Underground to bedevil the jerries, I wish that I could report a more impressive lunar event. You can read some of the hype and scientific explanation of this phenomenon here if you are interested.

Did the moon loom larger for anyone else?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

wouldn't know...cloudy and rainy last night. But ZOWIE!!! Today is gorgeous, blue skies and 72 degrees...almost makes up for missing that moonlight (I was really looking forward to it also, Moira!)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Perhaps you'll get to see the moon in all its glory this evening if the clouds stay away, Nancy. After a lovely sparkling day yesterday, we have had a cold front with clouds come through, but I have seen crocuses (crocii?) starting to come while out walking. Spring is trying to make an effort.

Love the dancing chickie avatar!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Isn't she cute? I thought it was time to have a Spring face. I have miniature daffodils with their legs showing, no blooms, pansies (love them best of all) and planted tulip bulbs that are sending out green foliage. Love this time of year (except for the fact that it's also tornado season...)
klondike

Post by klondike »

Well . . if it's time for Spring avatars - then it's time for the return of

The Finnie McBunnies > > > > > >
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

It's been raining here in the City by the Bay for the last week. Last night was no exception. Cloudy, thunderstorms and no sign of the Super Moon. MrC hoped to see it down in the City of Angels but it was overcast and raining there as well.

Today, after a few brief showers in the morning the sun is out but the clouds are returning and we're supposed to have another week of rain.

This time next week we may be floating away.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We had clouds only in the part of the sky where the super moon was supposed to be rising. I'm kind of glad it was a bust, because we didn't get to see it on the horizon, at it's biggest. Later on at night, the moon woke my daughter out of a sound sleep, it was sneakily peeking in through the edge of the blinds - she came out to tell me about how bright it was and we looked at it then.
klondike

Post by klondike »

In A Child's Garden of Verse, Robert Louis Stevenson (that lyrical Scot), rhymed:

"The moon has a face like the clock in the hall,
He shines on thieves on the garden wall,
On fields and streets,
And harbors quays,
And birdies asleep in the forks of the trees . . "
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

this was our 'gift' from Ma Nature last night:

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Our gift today is nearly 80 with some wind. Opening day for the Orioles (which I think makes Jon a happy guy.) The tree in my front yard is on its annual pretty week. Next week or so it won't be anymore and I'll have to look at the lousy dark red color all summer.

Tomorrow it will be 50 again.

(I hope no one was bopped on the head with any of that hail.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

knitwit45 - Unreal photograph - my jaws dropped when I saw this. Thanks for sharing this and using the golf ball as a reference point of the size of these hail pellets. Totally unreal.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

So knitty,
How dented is your car after this "present" from Mother Nature?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, knitty! I hope you didn't go out in it to collect your presents! You'd get your head smashed in!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The picture was sent to me by a friend. I was too scared to look!!!! I did peek out once, and I swear, stuff (hail and trash) was flying SIDEWAYS!!! Those hailstones look like BOMBS!!!!

Can't believe my car didn't sustain damage. Haven't checked the siding on the house yet.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

In college I once got caught outside walking home in a hailstorm. It hurts, especially if you run! But those were not even remotely as big as the ones you got... those could literally knock you unconscious!