'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by knitwit45 »

I've had the door open several different times of day, several days, and no wasps or flies. If this continues to work, it would mean my primary job (let the dogs out, let the dogs in, let the dogs out, let the dogs in....etc) will be OVER!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know exactly what you mean!

In fact, yesterday a yellow jacket came in through the doggie door we cut into the bottom of the screen. Actually, we didn't cut it, a neighbor dog broke through our screen, ripping the screen material out of the frame. We decided to elaborate on it (our dog is about 8 inches high) by cutting it into a small rectangle flap that our dog could hop through when he wants out in summer. Unfortunately, he is getting too old to hop any more, and it would be so great if we could leave the door open for him! This is a life saver. Do you think you could take a picture of it? I am not quite sure how it is folded over on itself.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

hold the bag upright, (you do not fill it up, only about a third of the way) and take the sides, fold them towards the middle. You now have at least 3 layers at the top only, and it supports the weight of the bag. Clear as mud, right? I'll try and dig up my camera....
klondike

Post by klondike »

Barely slept two winks last night - temp still in the 80's, not a whisper o' breeze, air in house oppresively stuffy, all the "summertime" window-fans are, of course, still packed away in the attic!
This was May 2 ?!! I'd sooner go back to last week's snow squalls & hail! :|
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

my eyes aren't too great in the morning (or any other time, come to think of it) so I can't make out the new avatar, K. It's pretty dark, can't tell what it is.
klondike

Post by klondike »

It's one of my all time fave images, Nance - an evening-attired Steve McQueen stooping over to kiss his daughter goodnight.
For a man whose every cinematic breath redefined "cool" - how cool is that ?!! 8) 8) 8)
My own little girl would have turned 27 tomorrow . . now she's forever 25, and for some mysterious reason, looking at the pic helps calm my heart. Her daughter Shea turned 12 at the end of March; I'm hoping she'll continue letting me share her life as she grows up.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

Is there any way you can post that photo larger? I can't make it out either and I even used a magnifying glass. From your story though, it sounds like something I would like to see. And don't worry Gramps, as long as you stay there, she will too.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nan- I get it! Thanks for the tip... do you use a large bag or a sandwich bag?

Klonny-

I honestly don't know what to say, but I want to say something. I wish you good, clear, and happy memories. I wish you a calm heart. I wish you a happy future. I hope Shea continues to share her life with you, and you continue to share with her always.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

A perfect day here in the midwest.. I ducked work today to enjoy the sunshine. I'm going to work in the yard and grill out.I love this time of year. The sunlight is so clear, the greens are so green and the temperature moderate.
Too bad this day started so early.
Anyone know how to keep a cardinal from knocking on your window at dawn?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

you have to find something to keep him from seeing his reflection - he thinks it's another male cardinal and he will peck at it until he hurts himself or drives you crazy!
klondike

Post by klondike »

Birdy wrote: Anyone know how to keep a cardinal from knocking on your window at dawn?
Find a realistic looking stuffed toy of a cat, or a dog, the bigger the better, and position it on the window-sill so the that it is most recognizable from outside.
That usually does the trick.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thanks for the tips - you'd think a real cat would do it.

Not so.

(They probably can't really see it.)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

If you place some kind of sticker (it can be a window cling so as not to mar the glass or leave goo), or hang lengths of ribbon every four inches across the window, it helps the bird focus on something other than the glass reflection.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Was driving north on Rt 12 the other day (about a mile south of my house), happened to look over at the delta of the Cold River, spotted a burly-looking black bear sow poking about on a sand bar.
There's a pretty thriving colony of bear up on nearby Fall Mountain, but they only come down country that far when they know they won't have to hunker-down fast in bad weather, so I took that as a sign old Jack Frost has finally packed his bag 'til Autumn.
And she did look all sleek 'n glossy, as she pawed & snuffed among those riverstones!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am SO glad I don't have to worry about bears at my backyard feeders.