'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by jdb1 »

Happy Mother's Day, Sisters!

What anomalous weather we've been having in NYC this weekend. It has been so windy and chilly -- it sure doesn't feel like May. There were gale force warnings in effect all weekend along the shore, and the wind is still howling outside, although it sounds somewhat calmer than it did last night. My building has been sending up heat, a very, very rare occurrence for this time of year.

The streets around me were empty of people and vehicle traffic today, where one would expect lots of hubbub because of Mother's Day visits and dinners.

One unfortunate aspect of this weekend was the frequent sound of fire engines. I imagine power lines were being blown down, and hope there were no house fires, which would be even more awful in this wind.

It's supposed to be quite chilly next week as well. It's all very strange.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:
One unfortunate aspect of this weekend was the frequent sound of fire engines. I imagine power lines were being blown down . . .
If that was the case, the return to electrical power for the areas afflicted likely was dependent upon the expertise & diligence of certified traffic controllers.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Last year my son spent the entire summer building a retaining wall in front of his house. Last night's storms did this...

He's going in for double hernia surgery a week from today, so who knows when he'll be able to rebuild. He is NOT a happy guy right now.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh! I hope everything else at his home is OK! Was it flooding that did the damage? Or tornadoes?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Massive thunderstorms, and we're due for more :cry: His house is, as far as I've heard, ok. (he's a tad busy right now, so I can't call him) Thanks Wendy.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

How ghastly, Knitty. Is the area prone to flooding?

The wind here has finally calmed down. There are tree branches and downed power lines all over the neighborhood. And don't even ask about the trash strewn everywhere. I haven't seen any whole trees knocked down this time (there were quite a few as a result of the last heavy storms we had), but I suppose there are some. The saddest thing is the dead little birds who have been blown out of their nests. I've seen quite a few of them on the sidewalks since this- past weekend.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Many flooded basements & streets in & around Chicago, some wind damage, phones are out in some place. :cry:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Nancy, that looks awful, I wouldn't be a happy bunny either. We might be a nation obsessed with our weather but you guys suffer more because of it. I hope he get's it resolved, is there any chance of claiming on insurance to get it rebuilt?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Nancy, sorry to hear the bad news Re. your son. I hope that he will be able to find a solution. Mother Nature is terrible sometimes!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks to all my dear friends here for their concern. I just got in from a tour of the neighborhood about 2 miles east and north of here, where whole homes are damaged beyond repair. One block of homes has suffered over 2 million dollars in damage, 30 homes, but here is the most important number: ZERO casualties, and only a handful of minor injuries. Right now the meteorologists are trying to figure out if it was a micro-burst, straight line winds, or even a tornado that did all this damage.

Josh has decided to be philosophical about that retaining wall. He's realized that material things can be rebuilt or repaired or replaced, but human life is precious and valued beyond compare. I'm pretty proud of that guy!

I do wish I had a pair of ruby red slippers, and could wish all this weather away..... :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll sneak into my pair of magic shoes, and wish the weather away from you too! I'll be keeping a weather eye out for your area... when we had floods last month it was very stressful, not knowing when it was going to end. Keep your chin up, and be very proud of that son of yours.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Rain, rain, go away...
We're not floody but we sure are drippy.
Wishing you all sunshine.
Birdy
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I forgot to report on the not-too-bright cardinal that was pecking on the window. I had tried closing the curtains, leaving a lamp on in the window; no luck. I then taped a couple of calendar pictures to the window. This worked for about a week. Then I was having company, thought I had gotten rid of the bird and took them down. Now he's back and the pictures in the window aren't doing the job. Guess I'll have to try something else.
Thanks for all your ideas.
Birdy
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Did you put the calendar pages on the inside or outside of the windows? They say hanging mylar streamers outside the window works, or little kids' windmills - the kind that spin in the wind? They are shiny enough to make them stop and go away. I also read about fishing line with feathers glued on, but this seems like an awful lot of work to make strands of fishing line attached at the top and bottom of the windows.

They also say soaping the outside of your windows or opaque window covering would stop them, but who wants to block the view?
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

The pictures are on the inside. Since they are double pane windows, he can probably still see himself. I don't know why they worked temporarily, though. If I'm going to put something on the outside, I'll have to raise the screen and tilt the window in. It's on the second story. He pecks it about once every minute. AARGHHH!