'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by CineMaven »

These are some of the New Yorky sights I saw Wednesday as I ran some errands in Mid-town and Downtown Manhattan. It was a beautiful sunny day with blue skies.

1 Image 2 Image 3Image

Downtown Manhattan:
1. New twisty construction near the Brooklyn Bridge; 3 years ago, that space was a parking lot.
2. The Municipal Building near the Brooklyn Bridge.
3. City Hall where Mayor Bloomberg governs.

4Image 5 Image 6Image

Mid-town Manhattan:
4. Two men play ping pong in Bryant Park.
5. Bryant Park, the park behind the 42nd Street library. Folks were out and about.
6. 42nd Street...look at the slope of that building.

7Image 8Image 9Image

Mid-town Manhattan:
7. The King of the Jungle guards the Main NYC Library, 'cuz that's how fierce books are.
8. A different angle and wider view of The New York Public Library.
9. Gleaming and majestic...the Art Deco splendor of the beautiful Chrysler Building.

Photos taken with Apple's iPOD Touch.
Last edited by CineMaven on March 2nd, 2012, 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for sharing these photos ... CineMaven of New York/Manhattan.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The air looks so crisp and clear! Thanks for posting those shots.... it makes me want to be there!

knitty, how's everything your direction.... ?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

windy!
Just keeping my head down and my 'go' bag packed. Looks like Spring is definitely here. Flowers already halfway up.! Thanks for asking, Jacks!!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yikes! Keep yer head down, girl! :D

Thsi morning my husband said, "It's so warm out, the birds are all singing...." So stupidly, when I went for my walk I didn't bring my scarf or my hat just some ear muffs. WHEW! It was FREEZING out along the river! The wind was up and it turns out it was only 27 degrees! Sheesh. Last time I listen to my husband..... :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[b][u][color=#4000BF]JackFavell[/color][/u][/b] wrote:The air looks so crisp and clear! Thanks for posting those shots.... it makes me want to be there!

Wish you were.
Thsi morning my husband said, "It's so warm out, the birds are all singing...." So stupidly, when I went for my walk I didn't bring my scarf or my hat just some ear muffs. WHEW! It was FREEZING out along the river! The wind was up and it turns out it was only 27 degrees! Sheesh. Last time I listen to my husband..... :D

Husbands. They can't find their socks or give an accurate weather report. :shock: Bundle up, girl!! B-r-r-r-r.

Knitty...may I ask, what part of the country do you live in?

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

In the land of OZ!!!! Toto, we DEFINITELY are still in KANSAS.....

For a long time, the slogan of Olathe, KS (where I lived for 15 years) was "The Land of AHHHHHHS".

As I type this, I am watching snow coming down......I think that should be amended to AWWWWW S*((%t!!!!!!!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

LOL!!! :lol:

Well be careful. (...And your little dog too!) The tornado had a devastating affect in Illinois, and is coming back for more later tonite I understand.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

i forgot to say that Gardner, KS and Olathe, KS are suburbs of Kansas City, MO. (South and West of the metro area)

Branson MO was hit pretty hard, the "strip" along 76 highway, where all the theaters are, took some hard hits. The fortunate thing is, the theaters had all emptied out about 2 hours before the tornado. Tourist season begins in about 2 weeks, so they have a lot of work to do in a hurry to get it all repaired and cleaned up.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Ohio Valley unscathed...but I had a few terrific thunderclaps right overhead...
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for updating us on your status, everyone.

Here on the banks of Lake Ontario we are expected to have high winds until 10pm tonight, averaging around 40-50 mph and with some gusting up to 70 miles per hour--which is nothing compared to what people hit by the line of tornadoes moving northeast have experienced this week.

Right now it sounds as though a freight train is whipping by the house and the electricity has gone off a few times, though it is bright and sunny and about 45 (it feels colder in the wind). I've locked the windows (we had one blow-in an unoccupied bedroom one windy day) and moved my car down our driveway as much as possible, away from the dead trees, the swaying branches and the pines in the back of my neighbor's yard that have such a shallow root system. I saw a small black chihuahua down the street blow down the sidewalk when I went out to the mailbox, though his owner came running to scoop him up. So far the only other damage is my hair, which looks like Medusa's right now. What's the point of brushing it if I am venturing outside for a moment? Crossing my fingers that this will fade away for everyone.

Here's a link to those trying to give immediate help to those in the Midwest and Southeastern areas hit hardest--CNN announced that a surfeit of volunteers have already starting pouring in--inadvertently causing more problems for those trying to coordinate everything:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/29/world/iyw ... index.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

intothenitrate - I didn't know you were in Ohio. I am so glad everything is ok where you are.

Moira, I'm assuming the winds are coming this direction, so I'll be careful of my hair! So sorry about yours, I know how it is. Mine looks like that all the time. :D As for that Chihuahua, maybe they should set up a makeshift potty for him in the basement. :shock:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Moira, be very, very careful of those winds. If you recall, part of the warehouse where I worked was destroyed by straight line winds, NOT a tornado. Keep an eye on the news, if the forecasters say take shelter.....DO IT. I'm sure those winds are fierce, especially if they are coming off the lake.

Right now I'm wishing for summer.....
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Will do regarding precautions, Knitty and JF--at least we both have a pretty good excuse for our wild 'dos today. I just took out the garbage and we have a basketball and a mailbox blowing across our yard right now--I've no idea where they hail from. If I see Margaret Hamilton peddling by on her bike, I'll really start to worry.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ACK!! Toto doesn't stand a chance.

Be careful everyone!