'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The leaves are starting to turn and a slight chill has come. Must be October in MD.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Not much different up here, Chris, which is peculiar, as North Central New England is almost always 2 - 3 weeks ahead of the Middle Atlantic states on foliage, and Autumn weather in general; course, I did predict, by a woolly bear caterpillar, 3 days ago, that it would be a wide, late Autumn, a long, moderate Winter, and a late, short Spring to come.
Our first hard frost was about a week ago.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Yesterday evening, we had our first snow here in Bellows Falls; meanwhile, up in Rutland, it's their 3rd day of snow, and this one's turning into a real storm!
And still, the foliage hasn't quite peaked yet . . . so this weekend it'll probably really pop!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Lots of rain this week, which just makes the trees glow! Lots of color already, but I'm still waiting for the "frost on the pumpkin" weather. Just wish it didn't bring snow later. Anyone up for Hawaii????
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

It's cooling off here in Texas thanks to some showers and the front
breezing down here from Colorado.

So I will enjoy working in the backyard this weekend.
It will be in the 40's at night.
Yay!!!!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
klondike

Post by klondike »

WINTER IS HERE!
The mercury in B.F. stood at a cheery 25 @ 5:30 this a.m.; the precipitous west slope of Mt. Kilburn across the river was sugar-dusted with a taunting pall of snow, a deep, hard frost had crystalized all the lawns on Westminster Street, and each of the lingering deciduous hold-outs has burst into hues of rippling scarlet or vibrant butter, soon to stand naked beside their bareshanked brethren.
'Struth, the kiddies will need to pull their woolies on under their costumes before they go giggling out into the haunted night in this town!
I sat on bed's edge an extra minute today, trying my best to feel analog in this digital world, silently reminding my girl Cait to dress warm when she crost back over tonight, her first time a guest at our Dumb Supper; she reminded me that her favorite food was always pan-fried puffed wheat, so I'll need to pick some up today at the market, when I go to get Uncle Hollis' pint of Thunderbird. {Reckon sometimes, there's just no accounting for taste, living or passed!}
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Indian Summer is having one last gasp before disappearing for another year. Today's high will reach 71, and then slip away into the mists of memory. The trick or treaters will get to show off their costumes, instead of their winter coats, and parents waiting at the edge of the sidewalks won't have to stamp their feet to stay warm.

So to all my "strange and wonderful" friends here, Happiest of Halloweens to you!
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

After some real High Winter weather over the last few days, it's gotten mild again, and it will be a very pleasant Halloween for the kids and the Greenwich Village paraders. Halloween home decoration has become just as elaborate as Christmas decorations -- even in the posh part of Manhattan where I work, people are dressing up their windows and doors with the customary skeletons, witches, black cats and spider webs. At night you see a lot of orange lights glowing in windows.

The trees around me in Manhattan are still pretty green, but the trees at home in Brooklyn are just glorious in their riot of yellows, oranges, reds and all shades in between.

Mild weather predicted in NYC for Election Day - always a good thing for voter turnout.

DON'T FORGET TO TURN YOUR CLOCKS BACK ON SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY MORNING!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

We had a frosty week here in central Illinois accompanied by a temperamental furnace and hot water heater at my house. I couldn't get warmed up anywhere but work. It is a beautiful 72 f today and I'm prepared to scare the patrons...more than usual! Let's hope Indian Summer lasts - the flowers on my porch are still hanging in there and I will hate to see them go. I also have a couple of roses next to the house blooming - I love a Halloween Rose. (I won't launch into my usual fall tirade about the beetles but let's just say I had to wear a hat to make it to the car and still brought several to town with me. )

Happy Haunting
B
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I love roses at Halloween, too! I have had some of the most beautiful roses since Ike swept through.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

The end of Indian summer just blew into Illinois. How's everyone else holding up? (Auntie Em, Auntie Em..."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Birdy, if you see a pair of ruby red slippers in your yard, would you mail them back to me????? :lol: :lol: :lol: Wind gusts in Eastern Kansas up to 40 miles an hour.....
klondike

Post by klondike »

Well, wouldn't you know it; New England goes solid "blue", votes an Hawaiian into the Oval Office, and here comes full-blown Indian Summer, in November!
We just went from foggy, drizzly, raw days in the 20's, with intermittent snow, to balmy days in the 50's, and overnight, down to 30!
Shame there isn't more foliage left up, everything would be poppin', double-bright!
inglis

winterpeg

Post by inglis »

Well what can I say .Its a cold day here in the Peg .We had a storm already this week ice pellets that would sting you mad.2 feet of snow on the ground right now :roll: .We had our kids out for recess and we had to go back in as the kids were getting sore from pellets.We have -14 with the windchill right now. I am happy for the change of seasons but not this early .We have gone through Nov without snow before .We did not have any for Halloween this year though which was great for the kids.Well thats my report from Winnipeg .Cheers to all Carol
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Whoa, Carol, you sound pretty chipper for a lady under two feet of snow before November 10th!

We had a 59 degree day yesterday, and still have many trees flaming with yellow and gold leaves against that sparkling blue sky we get in the Northeast at this time of year. Tomorrow it is only going up to 39 and snow squalls are predicted. Wonder where I put my gloves and scraper?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks