To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by CineMaven »

Lily's either acting like Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape" trying to make her big break...or Fleetwood Mac ( "Go Your Own Way." )
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

She's definitely a Steve McQueen, checking everything out, looking for the exit. Little daredevil too. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Her tiny little legs bounding up the couch. What a spirit she has. I should have taken her pix. But hell...my camera can't capture the speed of light. 8)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

:D That's my Lil'.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I tried letting Shug go "leash-free" in my more trusting days. She bolted practically every time! It's sad to force restrictions on a dog. But it's safer than the alternative.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was a little jealous this morning on our walk. Ella, the black lab friend down the street was off leash and went too far from her owner, but when her mom called, she wiggled her butt subserviently and went right back to her adoringly. Lily would have been running down the road laughing, without a look behind her.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just found a training hint that I thought I would share here. I think I'll go to the park and practice this technique, it sounds like fun:

http://www.netplaces.com/dog/basic-trai ... kaways.htm
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My grandmother taught me that ... if a dog goes North - you go South ... if he/she decided to go East - you go West --- its a very viable/workable option to work with a dog - once the dog sense this ... the dog will obey you at every command so when you take any dog out for a walk in a leash ... my grandmother reminded me of this technique and its works for her and its works for me. I had a dog from 7 to 22. Only one dog in my lifetime and my dear grandmother gave me that dog for my family to take care of.

My grandmother had a lot of dogs in her lifetime and one of her favorite things to do is to take her dogs out for a walk and believe me the link that you've provided here ... works everytime!

Thanks for sharing that tip - Jack Favell!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Lily would have been running down the road laughing, without a look behind her.

Sugar is a good dog when it's convenient! And she's a hunter. There's no way she'd stay at my side when there's prey to be stalked!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sisters under the mink, red.

with the poor mink in their greedy little mouths.... :D

Lily is definitely a huntress as well. When her nose says GO she goes.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

If this doesn't make a dog lover of a viewer, nothing will. The little boy in this video has Down's Syndrome.
http://bcove.me/cqatir90
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Moira ... that is the sweetest thing that I ever seen in my lifetime ... Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful video clip ... it was so loving and that dog deserves a big fat dog biscuit for his love for that boy ... Thanks so much!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

How sweet and gentle that big doggie was!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love Labradors, how gentle and determined he was with the little boy and how intuitive. It brought nice tears to my eyes.

I admit to having my stomach in my mouth when Chris first let Lara off the lead and we had many times where she followed her own nose or more usually other dogs she wanted to run with, occasionally she still runs with other dogs and doesn't come back immediately when called but more often than not she does come back. When we got her and got her checked by the vets he did tell us to be aware that a cockapoo was a combination of 2 very determined dogs, determined to get their own way and needing a firm hand and ground rules, well I can't promise the firm hand, especially if I'm in charge but it is so much easier to mould a small puppy into what you want. As it is I think Lara was one of the more submissive of her litter, she was always on the bottom when her litter was scraping and she's happiest in the pack, she never tries to lead it, she knows her place even with the cats but I can see Lily's traits as being very much part of the personality, the independence and determination and the complete oblivion to danger but with Lara it takes the form of approaching every dog she sees and swans, no matter how unfriendly they can be.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

oh, swans are scary! She's a brave one or perhaps foolhardy if she'd take on a swan.

We went to the trail area called Haley Farm with Lily yesterday, and we walked her with the leash on but didn't hold it, just let her drag it behind. She was excellent I must say, even when a Portuguese Water Dog came up and they dashed around and played for 5 or 10 minutes, a little growling from both sides but the owner was fine with it and we let her just go. She followed us well, and came mostly when we called, though she got distracted, so we walked away and then she would catch up, except for once when she got her nose on a scent of deer or something when she went into the woods and Andrew had to go get her.