To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
Garbomaniac

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, Alison, they get along great, now. But, when I brought the puppies home my cats DISAPPEARED for two days. They said, "What the HECK?" I was very afraid they wouldn't come home, but they know where the gravy train is. It took three months for everyone to finally settle in, and settle in they did. The dogs kissy-kissy the kitty's faces and the kitties take it, and they all lie down together on my lap, which makes for an EXTREMELY heavy load (four animals, but hey are all the same size). I take it as long as I can, they I dump them all on the floor to find their own beddie. Usually, I escape to the computer; they have to fend for themselves then! Ha!

It is quite a chore introducing a new animal, but like everything else, there comes a time when they don't know that anything was ever different. One thing I recommend is to get a dog with a laid back temperment. Don't get a barker, or a jumper. You can pretty much tell when you see them if they are quiet or loud, sleepy or jumpy. All of my guys are very sleepy, so that helps tremendously.
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: Sorry, Klonny, I didn't know you were the Dog Dream Monitor.
What do you make of the one where I dreamed that Robert Mitchum climbed out of my TV, singing?
Actually, I don't consider myself monitor of much of anything anymore, but that's a whole 'nother ball o' beeswax.
I just thought that your deerhounds in the snow dream motif sounded so alluring & evocative . . put me in a whole I Know Where I'm Going place for hours!
Concerning the singing Bob Mitchum/Videodrome thing, you know, I was tempted to crack: "Baby, I don't care" but resisted the temptation, because I am intrigued - was there anything tattoo'd on his knuckles? Did he have a fishing creel with him? A jug of moonshine, a toy train, or a derringer inside a bible? Was he singing the theme to Thunder Road?
Did he talk you into a moonlit boat ride down to Cape Fear? Tell me he didn't start courting you in a small Irish village!
Inquiring minds want to know!
Me, I've been trying to dream myself into a sequel to The Little Hut, co-starring Eva Mendes & JoDee Messina . . but so far, no luck! :?
Garbomaniac wrote: One thing I recommend is to get a dog with a laid back temperment. Don't get a barker, or a jumper.
Good advice, GM; I'll add this to it:
In general, try to avoid most of the Northern Breeds (Siberians, Samoyeds, Chinooks, Elkhounds, Greenlanders, Akitas, Chow Chows, et al); they tend to have rather primitive instincts, and sometimes those ancient race memories can lay dormant for years!
Specifically - never introduce an Alaskan Malamute into a feline household, nor ever bring a cat, or even a small dog, into a household "owned" by a Mal . . small animals invariably ignite a Mal's prey drive, and either immediately, or within the hour, or within the week, your other 4-footed companion will be discovered with a broken neck, or a crushed skull.
Nature can be cruel, but she's seldom deceitful.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Wow! I'd never thought about THAT! I did want to get one of those gorgeous hounds: Afghan, Saluki, Whippet, or even a Greyhound. But, with cats, I have been warned that they may someday turn and kill my little kitties! You are right, nature can be cruel. So far, I have had minature poodles and chihuahuas with my cats, and that has seemed to work beautifully, maybe because they are all about the same size. And, I chose mild mannered dogs.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Forgive me for butting in here folks.... but I JUST found this thread... and I LOVE dogs. I never miss a chance to brag on ours if I can...

We have a American Cocker Spaniel (just over a year old) named Famous Amos. (we just call him Amos) We chose the name because when the lady we bought him from described him over the phone, she said he was black and white. (so I thought that meant parti-colored.) and I was picturing him w/ black spots... like chocolate chips... like a cookie... hence Famous Amos.

Anyway.... when we saw him... he was almost SOLID black....with just a VERY little white on his chest and chin. VERY cute and curly... But NOT spotted. But by then, we liked the name so much... we kept it and the dog too.

He is the BEST natured dog I have ever seen. He is VERY good w/ our 6 yr old daughter... NOW. (But it did take the two of them a couple of months to warm up to each other.... she sometimes loves him TOO much. ha.) But when we first got him, if he came over to her, they would both get too excited and he would want to jump on her... and then she would scream.They BOTH have more or less gotten over THAT finally.) ha.

He really is a VERY loving dog. Engergtic and enthusiastic. He jumps HIGHER than any fat little dog with such short legs ought to be able.

We have just over an acre yard... with LOTS of trees, all fenced in, and when he is outdoors, he is the MASTER of all he surveys. He loves to roam and sniff around chasing squirrels and rabbits to his heart's content. It is VERY entertaining to watch him work the perimiter of the fence... nose to the ground... NO squirrel in sight. But he is on the trail.

He'll follow the straight line of where a squirrel WAS.... until he gets to a tree... and then he will jump up at the tree and bark (as if the squirrel SHOULD be there. He did HIS job. Why didn't the squirrel??? VERY funny.)

Lately though he is MAD and NUTSO for mole (or moles) that haver harassed our back yard off and on over the last couple of years. We get them every season. But I guess last summer he was just too much of a puppy still to care about them. But THIS summer he is going CRAZY. They come up in the middle of the night and make their rotten little messy dirt mounds.. and then HE goes out the next day and chases them from above ground. He'll dig and dig and bark like crazy. He KNOWS they are under there somewhere. He's been digging up almost as many holes as THEY are. (Pretty soon I will be able to open a golf course in my backyard)

And the mud... OH the mud. Imagine going out and digging in the dirt with your fuzzy houseslippers. Because THAT is what a cocker spaniel's feet are like. EVERY thing sticks to them... it is almost comical sometimes. I keep telling my husband we need to go out and buy him some PUPPY WORK BOOTS because he is the hardest working little mutt I have EVER seen... keeping our yard safe from nasty rodents... above ground and below. Ha.

Ok... enough is enough... I will stop now. Thanks for letting me go on and on....

And PS...don't hold it against me, but I am a "cat person' too... I am just too allergic to enjoy them. :lol:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Garbomaniac wrote:Well, Alison, they get along great, now. But, when I brought the puppies home my cats DISAPPEARED for two days. They said, "What the HECK?" I was very afraid they wouldn't come home, but they know where the gravy train is. It took three months for everyone to finally settle in, and settle in they did. The dogs kissy-kissy the kitty's faces and the kitties take it, and they all lie down together on my lap, which makes for an EXTREMELY heavy load (four animals, but hey are all the same size). I take it as long as I can, they I dump them all on the floor to find their own beddie. Usually, I escape to the computer; they have to fend for themselves then! Ha!

It is quite a chore introducing a new animal, but like everything else, there comes a time when they don't know that anything was ever different. One thing I recommend is to get a dog with a laid back temperment. Don't get a barker, or a jumper. You can pretty much tell when you see them if they are quiet or loud, sleepy or jumpy. All of my guys are very sleepy, so that helps tremendously.
That sounds absolutely adorable. I'll remember your advice. Leah, my inlaws dog has a brilliant personality but she does tend to block the door when you try to get in their house. She's saying hello, you're not allowed in until you've given her a fuss.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

rohanaka -
Famous Amos sounds very adorable, even if his fuzzy houseslipper paws are a constant nuisance.
My big dogs are strictly outside (they have a heated house in the garage and a doggie door to the yard) so I don't have to worry too much about the mud. I do have the filthiest garage in the world but it gets cleaned from time to time!
Birdy
klondike

Post by klondike »

Birdy wrote: they have a heated house in the garage
Birdy
Here in Nawthen N'englind, we would say: "they got a het house, out the g'rage".
Just in case you'd ever wondered. :roll:
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Birdy wrote:I do have the filthiest garage in the world but it gets cleaned from time to time!
HI Birdy... your garage sounds like the area around my kitchen door... at least on rainy days... (and off and on all winter when the snow melts.) Sometimes I call it the MUD PIT.. ha. (Thank goodness for my Swiffer wet mop. Ha) We keep a leash for Amos right by the door. And when he comes in... the leash goes on and we hook him to the back side of the door knob until we deal with the mess. THEN he can come off the leash and into the house. It is the only way we can keep the mud (and crushed leaves and twigs and whatever else he has trapped in those feet and legs) to a minimum.

You can always tell he is due for a haircut by the amount of yard stuff that gets trapped in that fur. ha.

I bet your big dogs love the outdoors. I think it is always good when a dog has space to run and play. Even though Amos is smaller, we let him have a lot of outdoor time when we can. (as long as the weather is not too bad) We used to have a larger dog... a mixed breed (he was half husky/half beagle.. VERY pretty dog w/ blue eyes) He led a GREAT life outdoors.(and he was a "garage" sleeper too..ha) He is long gone now, off in the great puppy hereafer...ha. I still miss him.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Found this on FOXSports via MSN; gave me a chuckle!

After 18 months behind bars and two months of home confinement, former QB & convicted dog-abuser Michael Vick is a free man. The monitoring device that's been on his ankle for the past 60 days in his Hampton, Va., home has been removed and the former Pro Bowler is now free to go and do whatever he pleases. By now, you've heard all the talking heads and pundits' thoughts. But what about the dogs? The canines from C.M. Coolidge's legendary painting "A Friend in Need" (also known as "Dogs Playing Poker") hashed it out over flushes and straights over the weekend.

Here's the conversation that took place:

Rusty: So, "he" is a free man, and we're supposed to be outraged. But in my eyes, boys — and granted, they're not great eyes — the man has served his time. I'm a sucker for second chances and I like the way he plays the game of football. Hell, I'd like to see him on the field this season. Does this make me a bad pup?

Maxwell: I can't say I'll ever root for the guy, but he did serve his time and pay his debt to society. Let's not linger on that debate, though, fellas. We've wasted enough barks on that over the past two years.

Spot: You two are such softies. When a mailman comes walking by, do you just purr and play fetch? No, you bite that postal worker in the rear. What's gotten into you? Screw Michael Vick. He should have to wear that monitoring device on the field the rest of his career ... in the UFL.

Rover: So much has changed since he last played. It's a completely different league.

Jack: His Falcons went from being one of the worst teams in the league to one of the best. Matt Ryan took that team from the bowels of the NFL and made them into an NFC power. Hell, they're much better off without Mike Vick under center.

Flash: They're not the only team I would have lifted a hind leg over two years ago that's turned it around. Look at the Dolphins — from 1-15 to AFC East champions in a matter of one year.

Buddy: Or the Ravens. Like the Falcons, they went to the playoffs with a rookie under center and a first-year coach.

Rusty: I've never eaten a Raven or a Falcon. Any good?

Maxwell: Eh, too salty. But you've got to try Cardinal. Exquisite.

Spot: And how about the Cardinals? The last time Vick was out there, they were still the laughingstock of the league. Now, they're the defending conference champions, have Kurt Warner back for two more seasons, and are loaded on both sides of the ball.

Rover: I've got a full house. I win this hand.

Flash: There's also the Wildcat formation to consider.

Buddy: Ugh, cats. Disgusting species.

Rusty: Wildcats are even worse. They're too ... energetic. Elusive.

Maxwell: That very formation, though, is what intrigues me most about Vick's return. You don't think he'd be a natural in that type of offensive package? Stick him under center for a few downs per game, let him run or throw out of the shotgun, and watch the defenses crumble at their knees. Certainly some team will roll the dice on him.

Spot: Would he be willing to play some secondary role, though? Michael Vick used to be one of the most electrifying players in the NFL. His jersey was the top seller a few years back. He's going to be OK with working 10 plays a game at the league minimum?

Rover: He may have no other choice. The guy's not exactly rolling in dough. He forfeited $70 million from a 10-year, $130 million contract, had to pay $928,000 in restitution for the care of victimized pit bulls, and lost all that endorsement money. The dude's $20 million in debt. If he's offered the league minimum, he shouldn't think twice about accepting it.

Buddy: Have I mentioned how much I hate cats?

Jack: You have. Lions too?

Buddy: Eh, Lions are harmless. The NFL ones are, at least. Since Vick's been off the field, they've won just 7 of 36 games. They've dropped 23 of their last 24.

Rusty: And those Jaguars — they're not looking much better.

Flash: As much as we hate felines, we can't disrespect those Panthers in Carolina. After a bunch of mediocre seasons, they're the defending NFC South champions and return 21 of 22 starters.

Buddy: I can disrespect any and all cats. I'm a dog. That's my right.

Jack: You mentioned the Jaguars. Could Vick end up in Jacksonville? I was reading an article on MSN Money on my old man's laptop that labeled the Jags as one of the most at-risk franchises in sports. In the past two years, the economy's gone to hell and some teams are burning. The Jaguars could certainly use an economic boost. Vick jerseys will sell and he'll pack that stadium.

Rover: Interesting point. But all 32 teams are hurting financially these days. You don't think the big-city teams — the Jets, the Bears, the Redskins — could use an economic boost, too? And what the hell is a laptop? I sniff my own butt all day.

Buddy: That's wonderful, Rov. Seriously. Just wonderful. But the addition of Vick wouldn't guarantee positive results. For one, the public relations situation could be a nightmare. PETA will protest, local community groups will be outraged, and the locker room could be a media circus. No legitimate contender will want to deal with any of that.

Jack: So, what about the Browns? They're certainly not legitimate contenders.

Spot: I don't know. I can't see Vick playing for a group of fans that fancy themselves as "The Dawg Pound."

Jack: How about the Bengals?

Buddy: Ugh, another team of cats. The worst. And don't you think they have enough distractions in that locker room? They've already got Ochocinco and his Twitter feed. They need the Vick media circus now, too?

Rusty: Let me throw an idea out there: Vick in Cowboys blue. Think about it — they haven't won a postseason game since '96, they need to fill a brand new billion-dollar stadium, and Jerry Jones is always looking to make a splash.

Jack: Did you hear about Romo and Jessica Simpson?

Rusty: I did. I'm saddened by it. I thought those two kids were really going to make it.

Buddy: Loved her in "Dukes of Hazzard."

Spot: Great film.

Maxwell: I think we all agree on two things — 1. Jessica Simpson is a fantastic actress and 2. Michael Vick could end up on one of several NFL teams. But this whole conversation is for naught if commissioner Goodell suspends the guy. And from what I'm sniffing, he may just end up doing that.

Buddy: Then, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Rover: In the meantime, I'll be sniffing my butt.

Jack: Cheers to that. Now, shuffle up and deal already, will ya?
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Now that I am in the new house, the puppies are having a terrible time. I didn't know anything about Chihuahuas when I got them. They are so nervous! Scared of everything. I am on a corner of a main thorough fare, and the trucks, motorcycles, and noisy cars freak them out so badly they won't go pee pee or poo poo outside until it is absolutely quiet. I have to sit there and wait and watch! So, in the mornings now, I have to get up earlier than usual to make time to just sit and wait outside. I am wondering what will happen when the rains come. The wind freaks them out, too. Holly schmolly, what a job. I wish I had chosen a rougher dog that didn't care about noise or the elements. It is going to be a looooong winter!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Garbomaniac -
Sorry to hear about your struggles. Couldn't they just use a litterbox? They're smaller than cats.
(Just kidding.)

My dog, Daisy, has something wrong with her hip and may need a replacement.
Can you beat that?
At least her mail truck chasing has been curtailed.

Here's a cute dog story I read the other day in Reminisce magazine. I think it took place in the 50s.
A lady had a dog who always chased cars. When the vet was visiting, the lady asked the vet if he had any ideas how to stop it. He tied a small branch onto a length of string and the string onto the dogs collar. The vet said the string would get tangled in the dogs legs and he'd get frustrated and give up chasing cars. (Now, why anyone would think this was a good idea was beyond me. It sounds dangerous on its own. Anyhoo....) Sure enough, the first two times the dog tried to chase a car, it got tangled up and stopped in its tracks. The third time, however, it simply picked up the branch and its mouth and took off chasing the car. The lady said, 'Any dog smart enough to do that is smart enough not to get hit by a car' so she stopped worrying about it!

P.S. Before you think I'm neglectful, Daisy is only on the loose when I'm right there but she doesn't always mind. (Ahem) She just can't resist that mail truck! And she loves UPS and Fed-Ex and the meter reader, but they throw her bones so she stops barking and doesn't chase them off.

B
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Ha! Birdy, that is a funny story. I pictured the whole thing as I read it. And, I know about not minding! It is a life's work. I suppose it is very much like raising children. I should say raising, as my mother would say, "Chickens are raised, children are reared!"

Anyway, poor baby needs a hip repacement! How old is she?
klondike

Post by klondike »

Purportedly, from a recent Detroit area classified:

Dog For Sale
Free to good home: 2 year old Bull Mastiff, 125#, 30" @ shoulder. Excellent guard dog. Owner cannot afford to feed or exercise him anymore, as there are no more drug pushers, thieves, murderers, or molesters left in her neighborhood for him to eat or chase. Most of them knew Jethro only by his street name - "Holy Sh*t!".
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

That is a riot, Klondike! As I began to read it, I thought, gee, I might take it. Then I got the punch line.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

This is so sweet and funny, just had to share it.

http://videos.komando.com/2009/09/29/th ... hound-dog/