To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by JackFavell »

Lily is a belly roller too. I guess we should be flattered, it's a big thing for a dog to offer their belly to us, it means they feel safe and protected. Then again, sometimes it seems like a demand. :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Lara loves having her belly tickled, in fact that's why Chris really wanted a girl dog because he'd always known dogs to offer their belly and he grew up with boy dogs. He wanted to see if girls were any different, she's the biggest belly dog of all.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A neighbor joined Shug and me for our bedtime walk. I never saw such a happy little dog! She loves people.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:A neighbor joined Shug and me for our bedtime walk. I never saw such a happy little dog! She loves people.
This is so sweet ... I love dogs that loves people!
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

I am presently caring for my daughter`s (Gayle) dogs. She has flown down to Melbourne to attend a funeral. Her dogs and mine are good pals, they meet up each Sunday when I go to Gayle`s place for dinner. When she goes away I care for her dogs, and vice versa.

Problems arise at bedtime, The dogs Flash and Charlie jump up onto the bed, Gayle`s b****, Gracie, (named after my mother) has a back problem and is unable to jump on the bed so she sits and lets out a single "yap" repeated every ten seconds until she is lifted onto the bed. My b****, Buttons, is usually content to sleep on the doggie bed, but sometimes she will gently put her feet on the bed and just look at me until I lift her onto the bed.

The problem then is the push and shove to see who can get closest to me. Incidentally, I now have a Queen size bed to myself, so there is plenty of room for them. Fortunately they sorted themselves after a couple of nights.There was a time when dogs would not be allowed on the bed. That changed when Flash arrived. I put a bed in the bedroom for him, but he was used to sleeping on the bed at his former home so he jumped up onto the bed. So I put him on the floor, and he jumped back. After doing this about twenty times I gave up.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

They are persistent little creatures, we gave up too, it's too much when we wake up to find she's got in bed with us, it doesn't happen often but what can you do? I'm much better at order with children, I'm way too soft with animals.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The problem then is the push and shove to see who can get closest to me

They are competitive. My brother and his wife sit on the couch with two dogs cuddled up between them. And they still vie for the best spot!

I love dogs that loves people!

Sugar is a "people person." Other dogs? Not so much! She's testy.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, Lily loves everyone! she is happiest when someone walks with us, dog or human.

That is too funny about all the dogs on the bed, Fossy! It's impossible isn't it? And now, when Gayle's dogs leave, your dogs will not want to give up sleeping on the bed!

There is nothing that could stop Lily from sleeping with us. We tried everything, until one night when she jumped right onto Andrew's chest in the middle of the night. I heard a loud "OOPH" and a "WHAT THE..." and there she was snuggling between us. It's less disturbing just to let her up in the first place. I can't figure out how such a little dog can jump so high from an almost standing still position...

Lily had her shots for heartworm and Lyme disease today. I am grossly negligent to have let it go this far into summer but the good news is that her test came back negative for both. They told me she might be lethargic today, but she's been anything but! Here's a photo Alice took of her last night. She was passed out asleep on the couch after a long day of playing and running around. She's so cute when her tongue sticks out in her sleep. :D

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Yes, when Shug started on seizure meds, I got the "might be lethargic" line. Shug? She could be on Doggie Valium and still climb the walls! I don't even see a difference.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I didn't know Shug had seizures...Did you mention this here? I don't remember it anyway. Poor thing! My old dog when I was growing up had them, but they were not too bad. He would stiffen and then be fine after about 2 minutes. Doctors then just told you to live with it and make sure the dog didn't fall off of anything! They said he probably didn't even know he was having one. I'm sure it's different today.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't think I had mentioned the seizures before. She's had them most of her life, but only rarely. She'll go a year or more without one. But when they come they're bad. Poor thing is terrified. Several years ago, the doctor told me she'd probably wind up on meds sooner or later. After the last attack, I went with it. Not because I worry so much about her safety. But it scares her to death!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Red, I had a poodle, Bandit, who had seizures all his life (lived to be 17) Doc never put him on meds, I would hold him till he came out of it, it seemed to comfort him (it comforted me!) He might go a year or so without them, have 2, then no more for another 18 months. I could almost predict them, if he got really stressed.

Bandit's buddy was a cat named Smokey. Tells the time frame, doesn't it? Both sons were at home, and loved the movies...
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh that's so scary! Tippy, my last dog had them toward the end of his life, and they were horrible ones. But my dog Abel, he had them, never really seemed to know it, and he lived to be 18 years old.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Sometimes I call Shug JULIUS SEIZURE! She doesn't seem to mind. My mother called her WOOLYBOOGER!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Awww!