knitwit45

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by knitwit45 »

She's a...........Bird dog!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

DOG is my co-pilot.

I worship dogs. Especially my dog, Charlie the bulldog.

This is Charlie at 7 months. He's a little over 3 years old now. He's my partner in watching classic films. His favorite way to watch is either jammed up against my legs or lying on top of them. :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Love that guy, Paula! What an adorable face. how much does he weigh now?

found this in my inbox just now, how appropriate!

Inner Peace

If you can start the day without caffeine,
If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,
If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,
If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it,
If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,
If you can conquer tension without medical help,
If you can relax without liquor,
If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

...Then You Are Probably .........

The Family Dog!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

"Bird Dog?"..."bird dog?"...Birdy.... :P Now I get it!!?

Paula, Charlie is so cute. Does he do what this guy does when he watches tv with you?
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

(Bulldog watching Family Guy)

No, Charlie doesn't do that. :) Like I said, he's usually jammed up against me or draped over my legs. ;) That dog sitting up like a human is really strange!

Charlie weighs 50 pounds. He's a bit on the small side for a male bulldog. And he has a floppy ear. But as far as I'm concerned, he's sheer canine perfection. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

There was a small pot bellied pig that would come up to the drive thru with his owner at the bank where I worked. He would sit in the passenger seat just like that, with his arm up on the door, and he liked dog treats. We would all run over to the window to look at him when he came by. Adorable, but weird!
klondike

Post by klondike »

A CAUTIONARY TALE

This past weekend I took my two eldest grandkids {Tasha, age 16, & Shea, age 12} to the Vermont State Fair, a bursting-big, old fashioned, 4-day affair which takes place each year on the outskirts of Rutland, our second-biggest town, which is just an hour up the road from Bellows Falls.
A good time was had by myself & both the girls . . . except maybe for this peculiar little detour . .
I had just won for Tasha a giant orange stuffed monkey at one of those Snipe the Duck games, with the cabled-down B.B. rifles (the sights are always skewed, but having joined the Saigon Country Club back in the early 70's, I can compensate), and being the fickle teen she is, immediately teased to go put it away in my truck; I told her as she needed to head over there soon anyway, she could go ahead and do that, and gave her my truck keys. Unfortunately, being a somewhat mature-looking young woman, she caught the attention of three "older guys" (late teens/early twenty-somethings, probably out-of-staters) who'd been frequenting the beer garden too long, and immediately started taunting her and "wolfing" after her, you know, following her with lots of the creepy sort of "hootchy-coo" talk, just the sort of thing that decent, respectful family men dread . . . but Poppy ain't growin' no fools - Tasha kept cool, sprinted to my big ol' Chevy pick-up, unlocked the door, yanked it open, and just stood clear . . . and seeing a 140 lb. Alaskan Malamute hit the ground, with hackle up and fangs gaping, and a nice, primal invitation rumbling deep within his chest, those three Budweiser cowboys decided to leave that parking lot toute suite . . Flint would likely have enjoyed chasing them right down the road toward Chippenhook, but Tasha whistled him back before he reached the main drag, snapped his lead onto his collar and gave him his walk [which it was her turn to do anyway] . .
The moral to my little fable?
Most of the time, in our modern world, the best place for your Best Friend is at home, where he's the most comfortable - but sometimes - it pays to have a little bit of portable, programmable protection along for the ride.
That's what Flint proved to be last Sunday - my customized Vermont Security System.
No electronics required. :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, my gosh. Thank goodness she kept her head... and it's a good thing your dog is well trained. My daughter is nine and it upsets me very much to hear this.
klondike

Post by klondike »

I understand how you feel, Wendy, and why; let me hasten to say that I'm not at all sure anything tragic or violent would necessarily have happened, but at the very least, without Flint there to "balance" the situation, it could easily have been scary or embarrassing enough to ruin Tasha's day, and no young woman deserves that.
One thing for sure, I am relieved, in a different way, that none of my sons were there to witness the event . . 'cause there would have been no whistling any of them back! :x
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm relieved to hear that she was in no imminent danger. I understand that kind of situation though, and it can be very upsetting to a young woman, even though she handled it beautifully. :)
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Friends,
Charlie is just too cute, how does he just know how cute he is, or is he really humble?

And Tasha, well she is my hero. That's almost as good as having Gerard Butler get out of your truck shirtless. (Haha - bad joke from another thread.)

Daisy is probably part Golden, part German Shepard. So in other words, she is a mutt. She has a face kind of like a German, but her hair is very soft, like a golden. She has a beautiful white blaze on her chest and the softest ears you ever felt in your life. (It was the ears that won me over.) Back to her story, it was so weird because she never approaches people until she's told to and she's very respectful of people. I don't know why, but she just wanted to love my friend so bad she couldn't stand it. It was interesting, because my friend's mom was in the hospital and she was sad.

I try to be very cautious about my dogs. For example, I always have the children wash their hands before going outside. I'd hate for one of them to smell like a chicken sandwich! One day last year, one of the 8 year old going to sit down outside and Daisy jumped. Not completely on her (she'd be taller than an 8 year old on her hind feet as she is a very long dog) but just kind of toward her. She didn't knock my niece down or anything, but surprised her. My niece was kind of sad and she said it hurt her feelings because Daisy had never jumped around her before. All afternoon, Daily bowed down in the submissive position every time my niece was around. You could tell she was very embarrassed and was asking to be forgiven. All was. Right now Daisy is not getting much sleep at night because she is busy barking at the coons or possums or whatever is eating the apples.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Rosa, my black lab, is 14. She has not been feeling too great in the last few weeks and I am worried about her. Still, she eats and sleeps and goes for little walks. She's been with us 10 years and is a wonderful pet. I hope I've been as good to her as she's been to me, but I doubt it.
B
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Birdy, I'm just catching up on all the posts from the last 3-4 months, so forgive the late response. Is your dog Rosa feeling any better?

Sandy K
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

No, Rosa has gone downhill this week. I don't know what to do, but am trying to make her comfortable. We rearranged her bedding and are giving her treats.
Thanks for asking.
B
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, Birdy, I am so sorry about Rosa. You have been great to her, don't sell yourself short. She couldn't have a more loving owner.